Nissan Versa Forums banner

How To: Add Cabin Air Filter to Versa Note and Versa Sedan

128K views 106 replies 51 participants last post by  atikovi 
#1 · (Edited)
It’s a bit odd that Nissan decided not to include a cabin air filter feature on the 2013-2014 Nissan Versa Sedan and the 2014 Nissan Versa Note. Maybe it is to reduce their Overall Cost of Ownership or they were trying to save every penny on the “Lowest Priced New Car in America”. Apparently, Nissan actually has a place for a filter and even has an access door. The only thing missing is a filter. Here are the instructions on how to add the feature that Nissan left off.

WHATS NEEDED:

TOOLS: No tools are needed for this project.

FILTER MEDIA: Nissan does not seem to have a filter of the proper size to fit the cabin filter cavity. The proper sized filter that will work is intended for a Hyundai Accent/Veloster/Genesis Coupe/Tucson or Kia Rio/Forte/Rondo/Sportage with the following brand/codes:

WIX 24684
ATP CF102
Pronto PC4684
Denso 4536005
MAHLE LA301

NVF Member Waterscape added the following PN which should also work:
Microgard (Orielly Brand) 3673
Purolator C35865
STP CAF1820P
NAPA FIL 4684 / SFI 224684

Please note: It is advisable to avoid using carbon type filters as they are difficult to squeeze into the filter cavity.

The filter looks like this, with these rough dimensions. Please note the orientation of the pleats and the directional arrow for the airflow on one of the sides when installing the filter.

PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO BEFORE STARTING
This video will give you an idea on how the filter is installed. Please note that on the Versa, the access door is on the passenger side and not on the driver side.

Cabin air filter replacement- Nissan Sentra - YouTube

The cabin filter access door on the Versa can be located against the inside firewall on the passenger side footwell towards the center of the car.

Note: Unlike the video or other cabin filter replacement, the Versa's cabin air filter door can be accessed without removing the glove box or any other panels.

Pull down gently on door cover until it unlatches (refer to video) and remove the door cover.

This is the cabin air filter cavity where the filter will go into.

Inside the filter cavity.

Install the filter as shown on the video BUT please note the following:

1. The airflow direction of the filter should be pointing towards the back of the car.

2. Note the dimensions of the filter, the wide (9”) side should be horizontal. On most filters, the orientation of the filter pleats will end up in a vertical position (unlike what is shown on the video).

3. The filter door is smaller than the filter itself so it has to be compressed for it to pass through the door (again this is shown on the video). The filter should pop right back up once inside the cavity.

4. Carbon type filters are generally stiffer than regular filters and may require more effort to compress as it is installed.

Replace the L shaped door. Make sure you latch the top and bottom portion so the door stays in place. ALL DONE!

Thanks to all the people who contributed to the forum thread. If you want to read the whole thread on how this evolved, here is the link: http://www.nissanversaforums.com/general-versa-discussion/18273-cabin-filter-2014-note.html

REVISION 1: Removed the carbon type filters on the list above and added a note to avoid using them for this application. A forum member reported difficulty squeezing a carbon type filter to fit the filter cavity.

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice! Thanks for the write-up!
One question, will it reduce the airflow in the HVAC system? .....
Surprisingly NO! I was concerned about that in the beginning because of a previous experience with a different vehicle after adding a cabin filter.

I could not tell the difference in airflow with or without the filter.

#8 ·
......Does this apply to a 2012 h.b.
Not sure if it does. The only models I am sure of are 2013-14 V Sedan and 2014 V Note (and most likely 2015s) since both of these vehicles share everything except for the top-hat (body).

I believe the earlier Versas use a different filter, although you can do a quick check and compare your HVAC system with the pictures on this thread.

#9 ·
Thanks much. The pictures were a great help. Just wanted to add a few more parts that will fit. 2013 Sedan SV.

Microgard (Orielly Brand) 3673
Purolator C35865
STP CAF1820P
NAPA FIL 4684 / SFI 224684

I used the Microgard as it was cheaper and more flexible than the WIX filter. $15.99

#19 · (Edited)
It should be quite simple to find.

If you have the OEM floor mats, look at the 4th picture on the first post of this tread. You will see the left top corner of the FRONT PASSENGER floor mat (silver-gray colored item on bottom of the picture). The filter door is literally 1-2 inches away.

If you do not have the OEM floor mats, sit on the FRONT PASSENGER seat. Move your left foot as high as possible and to the left as possible. On the left of your foot is the filter door.

It usually helps to have a flashlight to see where the door is, even if the car is out in direct sunlight.

#22 ·
We should delete that one from the opening thread then. Maybe we should put up a confirmed and not yet tested list so it's a buyer beware situation.

#26 ·
I just installed the Fram CF10709 in my 2014 Versa Note and had no problem getting it in the slot, might need a pair of needle nose pliers to remove it later on. Just as a point of reference, my local Nissan dealer told me they still don't have a cabin air filter listed in their part system. Checked Part Source locally, same thing, nothing in their system.

#31 ·
Thanks for the info! I just checked my 15 s plus, had a filter in there, I pushed on it a little bit just to make sure Nissan didn't stick a piece of cardboard in there, felt behind it and could feel ridges and called it good. My buddy's 14 SV did not however, and we live in a dust-prone environment, awesome thread!!

#33 ·
Applies to 2012 Nissan Versa SV (Sedan) also

For the 2012 Versa SV Sedan, I discovered the same thing and so glad I found your forum post. O'Reilly brings up another filter Microguard #3718 which is TOO BIG... So I'll be swapping it for the Kia/Hyundai one listed; the video of the Sentra shows the exact same housing as on my 2012 Versa, only difference is that it's behind the glove box (not by the gas pedal) which is easy to remove after finding the right and left bottom tabs to open for the two hidden screws--total of 8 screws to remove.
Thanks again! :smile

#35 ·
Sweet. I'll have to add this.

#36 ·
Just a note. I went to o'reilly auto parts and asked them what they had for a 2014 Nissan Versa Sedan. They gave me a MicroGard 3713.

It didn't fit directly but I cut off part of it and it fit. (I have to admit that I accidentally broke it trying to push it in so then I trimmed it.)

Unfortunately it leaves a slight gap up top. But I started the car up and ran the AC for a while to see if it leaked. It didn't.

I don't really recommend this filter since it didn't fit 100% perfectly but it was only $16.49 so I'm leaving it in. (Also since I broke it I'm stuck with it.)

Maybe it would work better for the Note..?

Also once it's in it has its own seal around it so you can't attach the cover back over it.

This was a bit longer post than I meant to make it but just giving a heads up for this one. It's also a strange looking filter.

#37 ·
Child's Play, based on input from forum members and my own research, NONE of the parts stores (Oreiley, Autozone, Advance, RockAuto. Amazon, etc) lists the proper part for the 2013-2015 Nissan Versa Sedan/Note cabin filter. I myself bought the one from Amazon and they sent me the part that you show on your picture which did not fit.

If you go by the part numbers listed on the page 1 of this tread, everyone who done so seem to have achieved success.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.