Nissan Versa Forums - View Single Post - Engine turns but won't catch...help please!
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 10-12-2014, 12:46 PM
jas32
Level V Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
I always told my brother (who is ignorant when it comes to cars) that to have combustion you only need 3 things, air, fuel and spark.

I'd say do 2 things before you start replacing parts. Pull a spark plug and leave it exposed but connected and grounded. Crank the starter to see if it sparks. If it does not, then you have an ignition problem. If it sparks then you may have a fuel problem. While the plug is out, check the condition of the spark plug, if it's dry or soaking in fuel.

If you have spark, reinstall the spark plug, get some starting fluid and spray some inside the intake manifold, anywhere convenient, maybe near the throttle body or air cleaner (a 2-3 sec squirt will do). Try to start the engine, if the engine fires and dies, then you just confirmed it is a fuel problem. From there it could be a number of things associated with fuel (fuel pump, relay, clogged lines, dirty tank, fuel contamination, etc).

2014 Versa Note SV

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome