Nissan Versa Forums banner

2014 Versa Note Transmission issues

32K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  SlickVersa 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2014 Nissan Versa Note with 110k miles on it. I used it for Uber / Lyft etc. Lately as I am driving the car, the rpm goes up and refuses to go down, unless i let go of the gas or put the car in neutral. It is almost like it is having trouble shifting or the right term i guess is "slipping". Once I let go of the gas, the rpm comes down and the car "jerks" / "jolts" a little bit, then when I hit the gas, after I think the rpm is back to normal, then it starts to go up, until I let go, this is how i drove it home and parked it in the garage. I think this is a transmission issue. I spoke to the dealership since it is CVT and they are saying 5k expense. I spoke to one mechanic that has CVT experience and he think the transmission oil or filter may need to be changed etc , his estimate is 2k. My questions are below though:

1. Is Nissan Versa Note and Nissan Versa Transmission the same? If so, I found one here for $550 with 5k miles on it. https://goo.gl/f8O2R8

2. Will it be better / cheaper to change the transmission or have it repaired like the mechanic told me?

3. Does transmission have fluids? If so how do I replace it?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
My questions are below though:

1. Is Nissan Versa Note and Nissan Versa Transmission the same? If so, I found one here for $550 with 5k miles on it. https://goo.gl/f8O2R8

2. Will it be better / cheaper to change the transmission or have it repaired like the mechanic told me?

3. Does transmission have fluids? If so how do I replace it?
Depends upon the production date! After 4/14, the CVTs changed. Were 31020-3JX6C; then went to 3102M. And, both of those superceded also to other #s .

Can't have the CVT repaired. Only replaced. Nissan does not have dealer technicians repairing CVTs.

Can't change the fluid anymore without special equipment. Nissan eliminated all CVT dipsticks and went to special test procedures for fluid changes.

Owners and garages can not service their own Nissan CVTs anymore.

Nissan CVTs have high replacement rate. They are known failures on Nissans.

Nissan extended CVT warranties. Not sure if yours falls into this or not.

Your choices are limited, and likely costly.

#9 ·
Depends upon the production date! After 4/14, the CVTs changed. Were 31020-3JX6C; then went to 3102M. And, both of those superceded also to other #s .

Can't have the CVT repaired. Only replaced. Nissan does not have dealer technicians repairing CVTs.

Can't change the fluid anymore without special equipment. Nissan eliminated all CVT dipsticks and went to special test procedures for fluid changes.

Owners and garages can not service their own Nissan CVTs anymore.

Nissan CVTs have high replacement rate. They are known failures on Nissans.

Nissan extended CVT warranties. Not sure if yours falls into this or not.

Your choices are limited, and likely costly.

You can go online and order your own dipstick for 25 bucks, drop the pan change the gasket don't forget about the small filter and keep it moving. Don't drink the Kool-Aid that's just a hustle they're trying to take your money bottom line.

#13 · (Edited)
I’m actually going to teach my friend to drive my Note, and she’s never driven a stick.

Ironically, she’s the reason I have an affinity for the Versa…I helped her sell a 2011 S hatchback (I would have bought it if it were a manual). I did a little prep work on hers and drove it around until it sold, thus getting familiar with it enough to know it was a good car for me.

There seems to be some points in our favor that may give us an edge:

1) She is already familiar with every aspect of my car except for the transmission.

2) She’s not my girlfriend.

3) Having been educated in the field and having taught kids professionally for a brief period, I’d like to think I’m a pretty good teacher.

We’ll see how that goes. If it goes well, you can bring your GF here and I’ll cut you guys a good forum rate to teach her to bang gears properly. ;)

#15 ·
I’m actually going to teach my friend to drive my Note, and she’s never driven a stick.

There seems to be some points in our favor that may give us an edge:
2) She’s not my girlfriend.
You have a point. A few times when I was told about women that could not learn to drive manual, it were cases where their husbands/boyfriends were involved. And those women were pretty smart themselves, and certainly would be able to learn this skill with some other decent teacher not being closely related.

#14 ·
@venusinfurs Thank you for the offer, but "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".

She is set in her ways, so if/when her old Dodge finally dies, we'll find her something without a CVT. Who knows maybe (by then) Nissan will give up on the CVT transmissions and go back to a band style automatic trans.

Funny story... I tried to teach her to drive stick on my old work truck. We started with the basics. I explained "Going from right to left we have the gas pedal, then the brake, then the clutch and finally the parking brake." She exclaimed "Four pedals, that's double the number of pedals in my car... forget it!"