Nissan Versa Forums - View Single Post - Car slows down a lot when letting go of gas, is this normal?
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 01-03-2018, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
all
Level I Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I have a 2014 Versa Note with the CVT. I also feel the car slowing down if I take my foot off the gas pedal, even if I'm not touching the brake pedal. As pimperell stated, this strong engine braking is normal for the CVT.

I also feel the CVT getting "unstuck" when the car slows down via coasting (not pressing either the gas pedal nor the brake pedal) to 12 MPH; from 12 MPH, it will freewheel and the rate of slowing down (i.e. amount of engine braking) is much less. The CVT could be "downshifting" from 2nd gear to 1st gear as the 2nd generation CVTs (2012-present Versa sedans, 2014-present Versa Notes) have the subplanetary gearset, which acts as a 2-gear conventional automatic coupled with the belt-and-pulley of a traditional CVT.
Ah I see. That makes sense, I just need to find a way to confirm my engine is also CVT. What about accelerating? I made another post about that one, it revs a lot with not a lot of actual acceleration.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome