Nissan Versa Forums banner

Should I change the transmission fluid at a Nissan dealership?

19K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  versa122 
#1 ·
My Versa SV is at 48k mile. I want to change the cvt transmission fluid. Nissan dealership quoted $299. Local mechanic quoted $189. Should I try to save money and go with the cheaper option? What is everyone's experience with changing this fluid at a random shop? Or should I not take a chance and just let the Nissan techs change it?

#2 ·
I would suggest that you let the dealer handle the fluid change. To do it correctly, it is a complicated procedure. The link below gives you some idea of how it is done. There are some posters on this board that have changed out the CVT fluid and apparently been successful. Sometimes its worth the money to have a job done at the dealership. I recently had my car in for an oil change, and the tech who worked on the car noticed that the serpentine belt was showing its age and needed to be replaced. I had already looked on Youtube to see how the job was done, it is a real pain, and decided to pay the price rather than spend two days trying to do the job laying on my back and taking half the front off the vehicle in order to get enough room to work.

Service Tips

#6 ·
Check prices at other dealers. Shouldn't be more than $240 to have the cvt serviced at the dealer. Not all dealers charge the same. Also gonin and get it in writing with a print out vs a phone call. Some service advisors are lazy and quote average price vs actually looking to see what your car really should cost. I ran in to that when I did the wife's rogue.

#9 ·
Freakin' businesses have lost their minds as far as profit margins go.

I'm firmly convinced Nissan's implementation of CVT was to intentionally drive a whopping larger degree of customers to the dealers. The whole thing approaches being an OEM authorized scam ala Ghozn.

Once somebody analyzes CVT fluid well enough we'll find out there was absolutely no reason for it to be priced that high too other than rampant utter greed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.