New Header -interested? [Archive] - Nissan Versa Forums

New Header -interested?

robj80
07-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Ok since I have seen that many of you are after performance and I happen to associate with someone who build quality parts I inquired. His name is Charles and he use to work for a well known company but is now on his own. I will leave the name of that company out for now. He has made parts for high end performance cars but I know him for his work he did with the SR20DE.

He built what we call the budget header. It is not cheap like OBX but the quality would be way better and the gains if anything like any of his other work will be phenomenal. The price would be in the $5-600 range theoretically. Now that may go up or down depending on the fluctatating price of materials and choices we make. Such as mild steel vs stainless, or shortening the down-pipe to leave room for a CAT vs eliminating the CAT.

Here is a dyno of an SR20DE powered car comparing the stock header for Charles' header. This was done same day on same car I believe. Only other thing might have been a bump in fuel pressure or timing. But like with any performance mod you can get more out of it by tuning. Luckily we have UpRev that can handle all of that :).
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/gt20ir/Dyno%20sheets/DEvsASPdyno.jpg

So if there is some interest I will keep talking to him. He will need a dyno of a stock MR18 powered Versa so he can look at the curve. He might also need to have a member stop down at his shop for fitment and such. I am pretty sure he is out in Washington. He is really cool guy and I have known him on the SR20 boards for years now.

If something like this was to actually work out and he made some then it may be the tip of the iceberg. Never know, maybe next would be an intake manifold, or even turbo manifold? You guys wanted options and people taking interest in the V well here we go. He said if we get enough interest he can start actually working on something in about 2 months.

BTW there is one person on here who else might know him as he is on the sr20 boards I am on :).

Atx_Versa
07-27-2010, 05:57 PM
I would be very interested, I don't see more than 5 realistically willing to commit who would be willing to pay for something like this, which is why there is little aftermarket support for the Versa. But I would love to see this happen because DC has yet to announce their release for their Header System since they are basing it off their exhaust sales. Put me down on the list as long as it doesnt turn out like the OBX header. Thanks for the connect!

robj80
07-27-2010, 05:58 PM
what were the issues with OBX? Let me know so I can inform charles. Thanks

PorkChop
07-27-2010, 06:21 PM
im down, i want to make my baby alittle faster..

bboy_romeo
07-28-2010, 01:46 AM
i'd be down as well

disphunktion
07-28-2010, 11:08 AM
I would be down, if we can keep the cat, as law is getting more anoying everyday.

robj80
07-28-2010, 12:55 PM
He said that would be up to us. I too like the idea of keeping the cat as it keeps things quiet and makes this street legal except in CA.

Were getting some nice interest thus far, please post up question and concerns so he can address them.

deaftosociety
07-28-2010, 01:33 PM
The problem with the obx is the cel issue you have to use a spacer which honestly i dont like because i would rather the computer read what is actully flowing instead of thinking hey the cars running clean when it isnt because it deletes the cats thats the only issue really i have with the obx, it did give the car a bit more power but im interested if this header was built better then the obx maybe a slightly larger down pipe instead of a 2 1/4 maybe a 2 and a half probably would help the flow who knows tho im interested we just need somebody with a stock versa in washington now... the only other problem was the way the header wasnt like the factory one the factory had two donut gaskets which helped with the motor flexing with the obx they used a flexpipe which with made the exhaust bang the underside thats why i have no resonator now because it was the only way to get rid of the bang it still does it when the wheels hop a bit..

robj80
07-28-2010, 01:47 PM
I will let him decide how to go about avoiding the CEL. If we want this to keep the cat and avoid a CEL then that is how he will make it. Also don't worry about quality and making more power then the OBX as it will be better and outperform that without a doubt in my mind.

The banging is a concern so I will inform him of that. Do you have any pics of where the contact was?

deaftosociety
07-28-2010, 01:51 PM
where the resonator muffler was, it was just because of the way the new header flexed compared to the stock manifold it was actully making the whole exhaust flex into the car and started to pull the bolts on the flexpipe out, that is why the guys that were attempting to run cats with the header kept breaking and popping bolts the only thing i can think of is the way the headers flange and runners were bent would have to be bent more or possibly the header deign would have to be more like a long tube.

robj80
07-28-2010, 02:12 PM
I will let him know of that issue and hopefully he will have a fix. I think he wanted to make it one long header with no flange in the middle. While this makes it slightly more difficult to install there would be no issue with it hanging. I don't want to speculate too much on the design yet as we are just trying to gain interest. This guy seems very interested in making a product for us so hopefully this happens.

BTW this header won't even work on my car so I am doing this for the community. You guys know me I'm more about MPG then HP :). So I will only continue to try an make this happen if YOU people want me to. So everyone keep posting in here if you want a new header.

robj80
07-28-2010, 02:52 PM
OK his theory right now if I understand what he said correctly is this. One piece header and down pipe then a gap between that and where the stock exhaust starts. That gap can be filled with an aftermarket cat with provisions for O2 sensor or a test pipe and defouler for the not so enviro conscience.

Doesn't seem to be any real way to utilize the stock cat unless it's made similar to the OBX but then people can just buy those if that's the design they want. This one will have longer runners with smoother transitions all creating much more HP.

deaftosociety
07-28-2010, 03:35 PM
did you ask if we got an option on the downpipe size?

robj80
07-28-2010, 03:54 PM
did you ask if we got an option on the downpipe size?
No I did not. This guy has been in the business for awhile and everything he makes puts more power to the wheels across the entire RPM range. Bigger piping is not always better and he will know what is best. I can make a suggestion though if you want. There will most likely be no options as he probably won't be building several different styles.

disphunktion
07-29-2010, 04:01 AM
it is ready yet? :P

Can't wait to see it happen!

robj80
07-29-2010, 05:08 PM
I can honestly say there is much more interest on this forum then any other ones I've posted on. I don't want to join any CUBE sites so if anyone is a member of a cube site please post this info.

deaftosociety
07-29-2010, 07:04 PM
i mean even with the crappy obx header my mileage has gotten better and looking at the stock one the way its squished in spots to fit its retarded. By the way would he like a stock header to work with for an idea?

superskunk
07-30-2010, 03:58 AM
i have been absent, but just came across this thread... the OBX header is a piece of crap, i swapped the flange on my cats to adapt to the header (i live in CA) and it has been nothing but trouble.... why dont you just talk to your friend about doing a high flow cat? anyways the design of the OBX is flawed, the collector is just pieced together and looks like crap... if the DC header never comes out i might be interested...

robj80
07-30-2010, 12:56 PM
i have been absent, but just came across this thread... the OBX header is a piece of crap, i swapped the flange on my cats to adapt to the header (i live in CA) and it has been nothing but trouble.... why dont you just talk to your friend about doing a high flow cat? anyways the design of the OBX is flawed, the collector is just pieced together and looks like crap... if the DC header never comes out i might be interested...

You may still be out of luck in CA as if makes room for a CAT don't you guys need to retain the OEM one? I don't know the laws out there. This one would fit an aftermarket CAT with a spot for an O2 sensor.

I think out best bet is to have him design this in a way to leave room for a common size and flanged aftermarket CAT. He will sell the header with the CAT, test pipe or with nothing. This way all the headers are the same no matter if you want to go with a CAT or without.

deaftosociety
07-30-2010, 02:25 PM
ive already got an idea of the cat im gona use :P

robj80
07-30-2010, 02:45 PM
which one?

deaftosociety
07-30-2010, 04:56 PM
either the one random technology makes or the one racing line makes or maybe a spin cat more or less the same thing

robj80
07-30-2010, 05:01 PM
well he will build it to fit CATS he has and his test pipe. So modifications may be necessary to fit any other one.

robj80
07-30-2010, 05:27 PM
We need some info people. Please post up if you have any information he needs

no problem. i may try to find a doaner car locally and possibly borrow to build the header and dyno, and or just build it and send to whoever can test and compare.

if i did do a set of headers, i could then let that guy keep that header, if not, then i would want it back...

i will see if i can get a header gasket so i can look at getting a flange made to build the first one.

all i would need of the stock stuff is some numbers...
1) stock primary header tube diameter...
2) secondary before cat pipe diameter...
3) after cat pipe diameter...
4) stock exhaust size...
5) available aftermarket exhaust size...

with those things, i can atleast get a partial idea on materials cost and availability and have a good idea of what to order when i build the prototype.

i want to know the stock exhaut size AND aftermarket so i can build the header to perform with both...

most likely, i can make more power with my header and stock exhaust vs obx header and aftermarket exhaust..

I have the 1.6 so I am useless for this :). This header is being designed for the MR18 and not the HR16.

VersaNation.com
07-31-2010, 07:56 AM
I have the 1.6 so I am useless for this :). This header is being designed for the MR18 and not the HR16.

I'll see if I can get the information.

no problem. i may try to find a doaner car locally and possibly borrow to build the header and dyno, and or just build it and send to whoever can test and compare.

if i did do a set of headers, i could then let that guy keep that header, if not, then i would want it back...

i will see if i can get a header gasket so i can look at getting a flange made to build the first one.

Like I said earlier, I can go up there and meet the guy for fitting and all that good stuff. I'd also be more than happy to test it out since I'm fairly close to Seattle. Keep me posted!

deaftosociety
07-31-2010, 11:01 AM
ive got the stock exhaust manifold somewhere..

Lil Blue Versa
07-31-2010, 05:10 PM
if he was willing to ship one out here, i have a 1.8 6speed with a bone stock engine. the only mods i have done to my car are rims/tires, front strut and rear sway. i have a dyno shop no too far from my house and i could give a 3 run average of before and after. my curiosity is the cat situation. if we used a cat delete tube would that trigger the CEL? or would i have to purchase a performance cat for the testing? then could i keep the header for free? lol

deaftosociety
08-01-2010, 03:39 PM
would he like a stock exhaust manifold to work with ?

robj80
08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
if he was willing to ship one out here, i have a 1.8 6speed with a bone stock engine. the only mods i have done to my car are rims/tires, front strut and rear sway. i have a dyno shop no too far from my house and i could give a 3 run average of before and after. my curiosity is the cat situation. if we used a cat delete tube would that trigger the CEL? or would i have to purchase a performance cat for the testing? then could i keep the header for free? lol

I think he would rather have a local V to work with but thanks for the offer. He really just needs a stock dyno already done. I know I seen some on the internet but can't find them now. No need to get a new dyno done yet until he has a prototype made. As far as the CEL an anti fouler will be uses to trip the rear O2 when using a cat delete pipe.

would he like a stock exhaust manifold to work with ?

I'm waiting to here back to see if he wants one to look at. Right now he has just requested answers to the questions I posted earlier in this thread. Maybe you can measure for us?

robj80
08-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Ok he is willing to take an OEM header to look at and measure. But the owner of the header needs to ship it to him and will not get it back for a few months while research and development is taking place. It needs to be a complete unmodified OEM header and downpipe.

deaftosociety
08-03-2010, 02:33 PM
uh the downpipe is huge man its hooked to two cats..

robj80
08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
uh the downpipe is huge man its hooked to two cats..

Yes I already know this. But the upper portion is useless on it's own.

disphunktion
08-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Coming from the same flange, do you think that he'll be able to make turbo manifold with an internal wastegate? (Way easier and faster than r&d a header)

robj80
08-04-2010, 01:28 PM
There will be more customers for a header then a turbo manifold. BUt yes he will be making other products if this gets off the ground.

When the wastegate is on the manifold it's considered external. When it's part of the turbo then it's internal.

As far as a turbo mani being easier I would have to disagree. You need to make sure it fits several sized turbo's, then make sure there is room to run coolant and oil lines, the downpipe lining up and finally room for the intake and intercooler pipes. With a header you just need to worry about one O2 sensor and meeting up with the exhaust flange.

deaftosociety
08-05-2010, 01:38 PM
gimme 2 weeks and ill send the exhaust manifold and the downpipe since ive gota cover the shipping...

robj80
08-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Well maybe all those interested can send you a donation to help cover the cost :).

Way to step up though.

deaftosociety
08-05-2010, 02:28 PM
yeah being as i just bought an aero turbine muffler my shipping money is kinda busted lol one of our buddys is interested in a turbo manifold maybe i can talk him into donating whos up for a donate a nickel to rob for shipping fund?

robj80
08-05-2010, 02:36 PM
The donation would go to whoever is shipping the item :). So that would be you. Turbo manifolds are only being considered if this header works out.

deaftosociety
08-05-2010, 02:37 PM
i know im hoping he will kick in a few bucks.. tho lol

robj80
08-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Just bumping this up because I want it to happen for you guys! There is interest still on Nico too. He is really just waiting on us now to get him a header and stock dyno chart. So if anyone has seen a stock dyno of a mr18de on the net or have dynoe'd your car please send me the image.

deaftosociety
08-09-2010, 08:14 PM
hes gona be waiting a little while man im a little backed up with work, ill contact ya asap do i get a discount for donating mine :P

robj80
08-09-2010, 08:26 PM
hes gona be waiting a little while man im a little backed up with work, ill contact ya asap do i get a discount for donating mine :P

Anyone can send him a header. It doesn't have to be you. I know you stepped up but I'm here to keep this moving along. If no one else sends one he will be patiently waiting for yours.

As far as a discount I'm sure he would compensate you somehow. I will inquire about it.

deaftosociety
08-09-2010, 09:23 PM
i think im the only one sitting on one actully...

robj80
08-10-2010, 12:50 PM
i think im the only one sitting on one actully...

It seems that way over here. I think there is a few guys on nico. I know there is definately one on the cube forum as he just put a versa obx header on a few weeks ago.

versaspeed.com
08-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Gang......been there doing that......just hang on and you might have something to celebrate about sooner then you think. :burnout:

disphunktion
08-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Any news ? Or this projet is dead ?

robj80
08-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Any news ? Or this projet is dead ?

No one provided info, no one is sending a header, and Bob at versaspeed jumped in here saying don't bother he has something planned.

So consider this dead as door nail.

deaftosociety
08-25-2010, 02:46 PM
i told ya give me a couple weeks gosh :P

robj80
08-25-2010, 03:03 PM
i told ya give me a couple weeks gosh :P

Yes you did :). You were very supportive and helpful. I was in no way putting it on you. This is out there amongst other Versa and CUBE boards. The guy isn't going anywhere so if things pickup and the info is still given to the guy it will continue. But I think most will wait for Bob.

deaftosociety
10-16-2010, 12:43 PM
alright being as im so annoyed with the obx header, it finally started leaking on me, if you have any options man ill do what i can to get this done sorry for the delay figured i was one of the few who didnt have an issue, lol anyways leme know whats up bro.

robj80
10-18-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't think this is going to turn into anything. I would love to help you out as you were upfront and helpful. I could ask the guy to do a one off but I don't think he will go for that and it would cost a fortune.

Did you contact Bob to see if he has any options?

deaftosociety
10-18-2010, 03:08 PM
i think hes tied up pretty much with the supercharger deal. so i havent tried to contact him lately

versatune11
01-19-2012, 04:58 AM
for sure count me in

monkey92
01-21-2012, 07:48 PM
im a bit late lol but that sounds really good

Porkchop22
07-15-2012, 04:50 PM
hey guys anything about the headers? would it fit on the mr20 ?

07Versa6MT
10-30-2013, 01:39 AM
I'd love to see true equal length headers for this car... hell if the "improved" headers currently out actually offered gains without tuning, imagine what a true header will do!

robj80
10-30-2013, 01:19 PM
I scrapped this. My fabricator still asks me once in awhile if I'm sending him anything but I say no. Considering the fact that DC already came out with a header and it doesn't seem like anyone but a couple people bought them, if that, no one is going to buy a custom header. It would make more power but would also be more money. Plus these headers fit two engines that I don't even think Nissan produces anymore in the US, the MR18 and the MR20.

I may have him look into an HR16DE header because I think my exhaust manifold or my cat pipe is cracked and I will need a replacement. But I'm trying to figure out if the old HR16DE and the new one like in the note have the same setup.

07Versa6MT
11-05-2013, 01:29 AM
Well i guess the majority of Versa enthusiasts here seem to be happy with cold air intakes and other minor mods. I'm surprised to see that Versaspeed has a lightweight flywheel. I'd like to take the Versa to the next level. Not enough enthusiasts for Versa's to be taken seriously by anyone apart from other enthusiasts..

Note-ified
11-06-2013, 03:44 AM
I scrapped this. My fabricator still asks me once in awhile if I'm sending him anything but I say no. Considering the fact that DC already came out with a header and it doesn't seem like anyone but a couple people bought them, if that, no one is going to buy a custom header. It would make more power but would also be more money. Plus these headers fit two engines that I don't even think Nissan produces anymore in the US, the MR18 and the MR20.

I may have him look into an HR16DE header because I think my exhaust manifold or my cat pipe is cracked and I will need a replacement. But I'm trying to figure out if the old HR16DE and the new one like in the note have the same setup.

that would be great if you can find out about the HR16DE, but yeah you are correct about the MR18 and MR20, they are both no longer produced for the US market.

robj80
11-06-2013, 01:12 PM
that would be great if you can find out about the HR16DE, but yeah you are correct about the MR18 and MR20, they are both no longer produced for the US market.

You seem to be the most active in modding your ride so if you are ever seriously in the market for an upgraded manifold I could get you in touch with my fabricator in the event that I don't move forward myself with this.

Versa12
11-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Cool Cool! Hope you guys get a header made for everyone!

On a side note, every vehicle is required to have a Cat. In order to avoid a CEL you can use a spark plug de-fouler which takes the 2nd o2 sensor out of the direct exhaust stream. Really, the only thing the secondary o2 sensor does in to make sure the emissions are within the appropriate level.

Note-ified
11-06-2013, 09:10 PM
You seem to be the most active in modding your ride so if you are ever seriously in the market for an upgraded manifold I could get you in touch with my fabricator in the event that I don't move forward myself with this.

well my intent is to turn my Note into a part time track car so anything that can give me a little extra power is always a welcome addition, just trying to do my part to pave the way for all the other Note and Versa 1.6 owners out there and try and catch up to where the Honda Fits aftermarket is at. Not sure if im supposed to say, but my Note is going to be the prototype for Chassis/suspension/exhaust aftermarket parts over at Tanabe coming up here in December so we should be seeing some good parts coming out for at least the Note in the not to distant future and with as many Notes im starting to see show up on the roads here in southern california im sure the Note aftermarket at some point is going to grow.