Squealing noise when slightly accelerating from 50KM/H (30MPH) - Nissan Versa Forums
Engine Forum Discuss about engine mods, swaps, exhaust, ECU tuning & forced induction here

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
maximedboisvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Squealing noise when slightly accelerating from 50KM/H (30MPH)

Hi,

I recently bought a '14 Versa Note SV with the CVT that has 63,000km (about 40,000 miles) on it. I've been having an issue with a kind of squealing noise when slightly accelerating when driving at about 50km/h (30mph). If I release the gas pedal, the noise stops but resume as soon as I slightly hit the pedal. The noise stops when I'm accelerating past 60 km/h (about 38mph) or so. Also, it stops if I'm accelerating harder. First went to the used car dealer I bought it from and they told me it was the serpentine belt that was making the noise, which was kind of surprising to me since it makes absolutely no noise at idle. They cleaned the pulleys and reinstalled the belt. Noise was gone for about 2-3 days and then came back as usual.

I've read a post on the Murano Forum that states about the same issue as I'm having on a '09 Murano with a CVT. link

Need help on finding what may be causing this. A CVT going bad? Anybody here had the same issue?

Powertrain warranty from Nissan ends on Dec. 2018 or 100,000KM.

Thanks for helping.
maximedboisvert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 09-22-2017, 07:49 PM
Level V Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximedboisvert View Post
Hi,

I recently bought a '14 Versa Note SV with the CVT that has 63,000km (about 40,000 miles) on it. I've been having an issue with a kind of squealing noise when slightly accelerating when driving at about 50km/h (30mph). If I release the gas pedal, the noise stops but resume as soon as I slightly hit the pedal. The noise stops when I'm accelerating past 60 km/h (about 38mph) or so. Also, it stops if I'm accelerating harder. First went to the used car dealer I bought it from and they told me it was the serpentine belt that was making the noise, which was kind of surprising to me since it makes absolutely no noise at idle. They cleaned the pulleys and reinstalled the belt. Noise was gone for about 2-3 days and then came back as usual.

I've read a post on the Murano Forum that states about the same issue as I'm having on a '09 Murano with a CVT. link

Need help on finding what may be causing this. A CVT going bad? Anybody here had the same issue?



Powertrain warranty from Nissan ends on Dec. 2018 or 100,000KM.

Thanks for helping.
If the noise went away for a couple of days, I would say your serpentine belt needs replacement, or there may be other issues. If it was the transmission, the noise would have not gone away at all. Listed below are other items associated with the belt that can cause problems:

So when, exactly, does one of these belts need to be replaced? Usually, you get plenty of warning before you hear the final Bad Noise, to wit, that squealing. A squealing noise is indicative of a problem, but might not require replacement of the belt. Misaligned pulleys or a seized tensioner or idler pulley can generate some noise as well.

A belt that's starting to disintegrate will show damage to the ribs or cords, which can usually be seen without dismantling anything. But you might need a flashlight and a dental mirror to see the fraying or cracking.
pimperell is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-22-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
maximedboisvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimperell View Post
If the noise went away for a couple of days, I would say your serpentine belt needs replacement, or there may be other issues. If it was the transmission, the noise would have not gone away at all. Listed below are other items associated with the belt that can cause problems:

So when, exactly, does one of these belts need to be replaced? Usually, you get plenty of warning before you hear the final Bad Noise, to wit, that squealing. A squealing noise is indicative of a problem, but might not require replacement of the belt. Misaligned pulleys or a seized tensioner or idler pulley can generate some noise as well.

A belt that's starting to disintegrate will show damage to the ribs or cords, which can usually be seen without dismantling anything. But you might need a flashlight and a dental mirror to see the fraying or cracking.
Thanks for replying.

What they told me when I got my car back last week was that there was a pulley (or multiple pulleys, that I don't know) that had a little bit of surface rust on it that was causing some kind of tension when accelerating that made the belt squeal. They told me they cleaned the pulleys thoroughly and applied some protection to them. What I find strange in that claim is that it only does that between 48 and 58 km/h. (I am no mechanic but I am wondering why it would only make the noise in this speed range). I don't know if they checked for misalignment or bad pulley bearings.

Is there an easy way to check for misalignment by myself, or any pulley issue at all? (If pulleys were misaligned though, wouldn't the noise be heard on idle/neutral as well?)

Does the fact that it only makes the squealing noise if I accelerate slowly/normally consistent with the claim of the serpentine belt/pulley assembly issue? (If, for example, I accelerate a little harder (3000RPM and up), there's no noise at all).

Thanks again.
maximedboisvert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 12:21 AM
Level VI Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central, VA
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bearings typically make noises at certain speeds and at speeds half or twice that same speed. My first thought was cvt or windshield/door seal. So if you are parked it also makes the noise or only while in motion?

If you got a second person having them under the hood would help pin point this assuming it will do it stationary.
Cobb is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Level V Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximedboisvert View Post
Thanks for replying.

What they told me when I got my car back last week was that there was a pulley (or multiple pulleys, that I don't know) that had a little bit of surface rust on it that was causing some kind of tension when accelerating that made the belt squeal. They told me they cleaned the pulleys thoroughly and applied some protection to them. What I find strange in that claim is that it only does that between 48 and 58 km/h. (I am no mechanic but I am wondering why it would only make the noise in this speed range). I don't know if they checked for misalignment or bad pulley bearings.

Is there an easy way to check for misalignment by myself, or any pulley issue at all? (If pulleys were misaligned though, wouldn't the noise be heard on idle/neutral as well?)

Does the fact that it only makes the squealing noise if I accelerate slowly/normally consistent with the claim of the serpentine belt/pulley assembly issue? (If, for example, I accelerate a little harder (3000RPM and up), there's no noise at all).

Thanks again.
Give this a look, and it will explain some of the ways to diagnose where the problem actually is. Good luck!!

pimperell is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
maximedboisvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimperell View Post
Give this a look, and it will explain some of the ways to diagnose where the problem actually is. Good luck!!



How to Fix a Squeaky Belt (figure out where the squeak is coming from) - YouTube


Very interesting video. Unfortunately, since the squealing noise is only heard when driving but not in neutral, I canít test for noise. One thing I will do though is check for misalignment of the pulleys. Maybe a slight wobble intensifies while tension develops while accelerating.

Iíll keep you posted. Thanks.
maximedboisvert is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 10-17-2018, 08:55 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the same exact issue with my 2014 Nissan Versa Note. Did u find out what is causing yours?
Mary E Martineau Hoy is offline  
Reply

Tags
cvt , cvt squealing , noise




Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome