have you had any engine failures or issues - post here! - Page 11 - Nissan Versa Forums
Engine Forum Discuss about engine mods, swaps, exhaust, ECU tuning & forced induction here

User Tag List

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 151 Old 11-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Level V Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothby171 View Post
Note-ified.

I joined when my wife started driving the car as something other than her "back-up." I like to join the forums for which I own cars. I didn't have much to report at that time.

Now I have a lot more to report, and--unfortunately--all of it is negative. If you think that makes me a "troll," so be it. I'd bet if you had a clutch crap out on you in under 11K miles, you'd be bitching as well.
You bet I would be....but not to a forum...myself, I blame the car and just want to get it fixed like most people, I dont go on crusades calling the entire brand garbage and trying to get free service on a used car that is way beyond warranty.....hell I had a chevy cobalt that the ignition control module went out after I had the car for only a year, but unlike you I went on the forums I belonged to at the time and asked questions and sought out help in finding out why the car was doing what it was doing where as the majority of your posts are just complaints about how nissan on a whole is garbage and how you will never buy one...not once did I ever read anything about wanting help or even a hint about needing help so im sorry if me calling you a troll offended you but thats just the feeling I get when reading your posts. Personally if I wasnt able to solve a problem with a car after repeated attempts I would have gotten rid of it
Note-ified is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 151 Old 11-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Level I Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Note-ified View Post
You bet I would be....but not to a forum...myself, I blame the car and just want to get it fixed like most people, I dont go on crusades calling the entire brand garbage and trying to get free service on a used car that is way beyond warranty.....hell I had a chevy cobalt that the ignition control module went out after I had the car for only a year, but unlike you I went on the forums I belonged to at the time and asked questions and sought out help in finding out why the car was doing what it was doing where as the majority of your posts are just complaints about how nissan on a whole is garbage and how you will never buy one...not once did I ever read anything about wanting help or even a hint about needing help so im sorry if me calling you a troll offended you but thats just the feeling I get when reading your posts. Personally if I wasnt able to solve a problem with a car after repeated attempts I would have gotten rid of it
Ah...so you and I are different.

Who'd a thought it could be possible?!

And who here is going to tell me something I don't know about what it takes to swap out a clutch? Not that I have the time (and probably don't have the skill-set) to swap out a clutch myself. What "help" do you think anyone here could provide me?


Perhaps, I would find that there are other people with a similar problem, who are similarly angry and/or upset with the "Brand." So, if THAT's what you mean by trolling (its original definition, I would guess: laying down a hook and letting it stream behind your boat as you move slowly through the water, hoping to catch a fish), then maybe I am a troll. "Troller," I think, might be a more appropriate term, though.
Boothby171 is offline  
post #103 of 151 Old 11-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Level V Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothby171 View Post
Ah...so you and I are different.

Who'd a thought it could be possible?!

And who here is going to tell me something I don't know about what it takes to swap out a clutch? Not that I have the time (and probably don't have the skill-set) to swap out a clutch myself. What "help" do you think anyone here could provide me?


Perhaps, I would find that there are other people with a similar problem, who are similarly angry and/or upset with the "Brand." So, if THAT's what you mean by trolling (its original definition, I would guess: laying down a hook and letting it stream behind your boat as you move slowly through the water, hoping to catch a fish), then maybe I am a troll. "Troller," I think, might be a more appropriate term, though.

why call the whole brand garbage then based off of your one car? that would be like me walking into a restaurant and having one thing off the menu and then calling the restaurant garbage after not being satisfied with that one dish....guess i'm more open minded that way in that i give things a chance before i call it quits and jump to conclusions. in that regard i think we can agree to disagree and i wish you nothing but good luck in getting your versa fixed and working the way it is intended to
pimperell likes this.
Note-ified is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #104 of 151 Old 11-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Level I Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Note-ified View Post
why call the whole brand garbage then based off of your one car? that would be like me walking into a restaurant and having one thing off the menu and then calling the restaurant garbage after not being satisfied with that one dish....guess i'm more open minded that way in that i give things a chance before i call it quits and jump to conclusions. in that regard i think we can agree to disagree and i wish you nothing but good luck in getting your versa fixed and working the way it is intended to
Thank you. Seriously!

I thought I was critical about the way Nissan handled the situation, rather than "calling the whole brand garbage." For all I know, their other cars are GREAT! Maybe their automatics are wonderful.

But, to reiterate, for any car to have a clutch fail at ~10K miles, with good drivers behind the wheel, is shameful.

I also don't like the fact that when I one day have to replace the spark plugs, I'll have to physically remove the intake manifold. What were they thinking?!?
Boothby171 is offline  
post #105 of 151 Old 11-06-2014, 12:20 AM
Level V Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothby171 View Post
Thank you. Seriously!

I thought I was critical about the way Nissan handled the situation, rather than "calling the whole brand garbage." For all I know, their other cars are GREAT! Maybe their automatics are wonderful.

But, to reiterate, for any car to have a clutch fail at ~10K miles, with good drivers behind the wheel, is shameful.

I also don't like the fact that when I one day have to replace the spark plugs, I'll have to physically remove the intake manifold. What were they thinking?!?
Sorry about that but the way you phrased it when you said "i'll never buy a nissan" I just equated it to you thinking all nissans are that way. I agree though the way they decided to put the spark plugs in the engine is pretty annoying from a maintenance perspective. Also the way nissan handles their customer service leaves alot to be desired from the people I have known to try and get things done through them...but that is also par for the course as far as any of the manufacturers go from what I've heard anyway.
Note-ified is offline  
post #106 of 151 Old 11-06-2014, 02:38 AM
Level I Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Note-ified View Post
...but that is also par for the course as far as any of the manufacturers go from what I've heard anyway.
Maybe it's just that I never had such bad luck with Toyota or Hyundai (and I've owned a LOT of Toyotas). I've had things go wrong with them, but it's almost always been something I could fix. Or it WAS covered under warranty. Either way, the first thing ever to go wrong on my Nissan was this, and I do NOT like the way they handled it.

But a serious question (I asked this before, but no one has answered yet): What should we, as consumers, do to try and remedy this shoddy workmanship? This shoddy coverage and support? Perhaps all that we CAN do is troll the forums. Cost the manufacturer a few sales, and let them see why.

Or do we just suck it up, and take it?

I'd write more, here, but one of my tasks tonight is to write Jose Munoz an angry letter.
Boothby171 is offline  
post #107 of 151 Old 11-06-2014, 02:58 AM
Level V Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothby171 View Post
Maybe it's just that I never had such bad luck with Toyota or Hyundai (and I've owned a LOT of Toyotas). I've had things go wrong with them, but it's almost always been something I could fix. Or it WAS covered under warranty. Either way, the first thing ever to go wrong on my Nissan was this, and I do NOT like the way they handled it.

But a serious question (I asked this before, but no one has answered yet): What should we, as consumers, do to try and remedy this shoddy workmanship? This shoddy coverage and support? Perhaps all that we CAN do is troll the forums. Cost the manufacturer a few sales, and let them see why.

Or do we just suck it up, and take it?

I'd write more, here, but one of my tasks tonight is to write Jose Munoz an angry letter.
my vote is to write as many letters as possible until the manufacturers finally get that their customer service is just as important as their bottom line
Note-ified is offline  
post #108 of 151 Old 11-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Level II Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothby171 View Post
I also don't like the fact that when I one day have to replace the spark plugs, I'll have to physically remove the intake manifold. What were they thinking?!?
Probably the same thing the Ford engineers were thinking when they designed the oil pan on my truck. The gasket has a small leak. Changing the gasket requires pulling the entire engine out. No, I'm not joking. You can't drop the oil pan far enough to get the new gasket on because the subframe is in the way.

I think every manufacturer makes stoooopid engineering decisions.
Woogie is offline  
post #109 of 151 Old 11-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Level III Member
 
MrWiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogie View Post
Probably the same thing the Ford engineers were thinking when they designed the oil pan on my truck. The gasket has a small leak. Changing the gasket requires pulling the entire engine out. No, I'm not joking. You can't drop the oil pan far enough to get the new gasket on because the subframe is in the way.

I think every manufacturer makes stoooopid engineering decisions.
Gotta love their 4x4 trucks! I owned a 1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 before I bought the Note and the biggest issue I had was how much work it was to change that damn gasket. I got to the point where it was either rip the motor out and replace all the gaskets and hoses and whatever else needed to be replaced or trade it in which is what I did. I miss that truck though. It never gave up on my dumb ass, no matter what I drove her into.

2014 Nissan Versa Note S 5 Speed
MrWiggles is offline  
post #110 of 151 Old 11-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Level V Member
 
jas32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothby171 View Post

I also don't like the fact that when I one day have to replace the spark plugs, I'll have to physically remove the intake manifold. What were they thinking?!?
I think you said you are an engineer so I would think you'll understand that decisions like these are not taken lightly, most likely this was seriously discussed and as a result compromises were made.

A long runner manifold is essential in getting the most torque out of a small engine so it was a matter of packaging the intake runner to get the performance target of the engine. I would think Nissan is not unique in this regard. I actually remember a friend saying it is impossible to remove the rear plugs on a 427 C3 Corvette.

On your clutch issue, agree that 10K is a ridiculously short life for a clutch and for sure that is not the norm (otherwise Nissan cannot stay in business very long). I've also seen a clutch destroyed in less than a mile.

Too bad you had such bad luck with your Nissan and Chryslers. I actually own both brands and they've been quite trouble free.

2014 Versa Note SV
jas32 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome