Originally Posted by Marco
I drive a 2009 Nissan Versa HB.
My air bag light went off a couple days ago.
I tried the resetting procedure (turn it off and on 3 times) but it works for 2 mins and then starts blinking again.
Any ideas on what it could be without having to spend hundreds of $ for something stupid (if it is)?
Never tried this, but its worth a try:
First, turn on your car (ON key position) and your airbag light stays on for 7 seconds, then starts flashing every half second. (.5 seconds on, .5 seconds off, repeat)
This means either your airbag is malfunctioning, or it malfunctioned in the past. We'll find out exactly what happened in a second.
If your airbag light is on solid the whole time, either your airbag has deployed, the computer thinks its deployed, or your sensor or wire harness is broken. You're going to need a professional to fix this.
If your light never comes on at all, your METER fuse might be blown, or you might have a wiring fault in an airbag circuit.
OK, so your light is flashing like I explained before. Next, we're going to enter DIAGNOSIS mode. This mode will tell you exactly what’s wrong with your airbag (according to the computer at least) It's a bit tricky, but read carefully.
1. Turn ignition switch “ON”.
2. After “AIR BAG” warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, [i.e. when it stops running solid and starts flashing] turn ignition switch “OFF” within 1 second. [DO NOT SWITCH IT TO LOCK, SWITCH IT TO ACC]
3. Wait more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 two times. (Perform 3 times in total.)
5. Turn ignition switch “ON”.
SRS is now in Diagnosis mode.
Try it a few times. If you can't get it to work, have someone else try. If you STILL can't get it to work, check your battery voltage. It might be low.
In diagnosis mode, you're going to hope the light flashes slowly. 2 seconds off, 3 seconds on, and repeats. If your light does this, this means that the computer detected a previous error that hasn't been erased. This is good.
If you get ANY OTHER result, you've got a real problem that needs a real fix.
Now, to erase the error from memory.
5. If “AIR BAG” warning lamp operates as [as I said before], turn ignition switch “OFF” to reset from Diagnosis mode
to User mode and to erase the memory of the malfunction.
6. Turn ignition switch “ON”. “AIR BAG” warning lamp operates in
User mode. [it should stay on for 7 seconds, then go off, like normal.]
Hope this helps you.