Takata Air Bags - Nissan Versa Forums
General Technical & Electrical Anything not in a specific group, discuss here

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southwest Virginia, USA
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Takata Air Bags

So what are you guys doing now that Takata has declared bankruptcy and the remedy parts for the driver side weren't planned until spring 2018?
Waiting it out to see if parts arrive?
Taking the expanded rental option?
Taking the $1500 trade in bonus?
Hoping for the best?

Mike in New River Valley
08 HB MT 6
MikeinNRV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-18-2017, 11:03 PM
Level IV Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Years

Have not seen a list of the years/models that are listed as having problems.
Alan_nc is online now  
Old 12-19-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southwest Virginia, USA
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Www.safercar.gov is the NHTSA website where you can search by VIN, vehicle make , recall etc. you can also sign up for alerts of new recalls by vehicle model

Mike in New River Valley
08 HB MT 6
MikeinNRV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Level V Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinNRV View Post
So what are you guys doing now that Takata has declared bankruptcy and the remedy parts for the driver side weren't planned until spring 2018?
Waiting it out to see if parts arrive?
Taking the expanded rental option?
Taking the $1500 trade in bonus?
Hoping for the best?
Insurance Tips for Driving a Loaner Vehicle
by California Casualty | May 12, 2016 | Auto Insurance Info | 0 comments
If you’ve gotten a new recall notice about a dangerous airbag, you are not alone. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is warning that 51 million vehicles had some recall in 2015. That follows the record 60 million the year before.
Most of these recalls involve Takata equipped airbags. As of April 2016, ten deaths in the U.S. have been attributed to the defective airbag inflator that can send dangerous shards of metal at drivers and passengers. Of the 24 million U.S. vehicles recalled for the problem, only 7 million have had the inflators replaced. Many auto makers, including Honda, are redoubling their efforts to notify consumers about the recall, dating back to 2013.
Be prepared that when you take your car or truck in to fix the problem, it could take weeks or even months until the parts arrive. Many automotive dealers are offering temporary rentals or loaner vehicles until the work is complete. If you get that offer, here are some insurance issues you need to know.
Your personal auto insurance policy should transfer to that temporary vehicle, but with the same deductibles and limits contained in that policy. If you have an older car or truck without coverage for damage from a collision or hail, flood, etc. (comprehensive and collision), the temporary car you are using does not have that coverage either. Unless you add that it, you will be paying out of pocket to replace or fix the loaner if you cause a crash. You might also want to make sure you have uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage.
Most insurance companies don’t pay for “loss of use” for a rental vehicle. If you damage the car or are involved in an accident, you can be charged for the time it takes to repair and have it available for rent again. Rental companies will usually charge you the daily rate they lost while that car or truck is getting repaired, plus administrative fees. That’s why you want to negotiate with the dealer for loss of use coverage; otherwise, you may want to purchase it through the agency providing the vehicle.
You should not drive your recalled vehicle while you have a “loaner” vehicle. Doing so could void the need for that temporary vehicle, and crash with either vehicle may not be covered.
To speed up any claims and avoid miscommunication, contact your insurance company to let them know you are using a temporary vehicle and provide the year, make, model and vehicle identification number.
pimperell is offline  
Old 12-21-2017, 11:30 PM
Level VI Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central, VA
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Me? I came from a car with a bad air bag to a new car with a bad air bag. Although Ive known people to walk away in head on crashes with air bags I also know of people who die from a mosquito bite. An air bag is a controlled explosion designed to reduce the force between you and the car. You can sit too close to the steering wheel and die from the pressure as well as have objects on your dash impale or kill you or have your arms broken across your head if you steer hand over hand when it goes off. Its not pretty unless its an idea crash to begin with.

So, having said that and sitting away from the wheel I dont care. Im taking my chances.
Cobb is offline  
Old 01-02-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southwest Virginia, USA
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I need to update and clarify my OP; I was able to find a dealership with a part and get the repair complete. While discussing the situation with the dealership, we realized the $1500 is the trade in allowance; it is not on top of the market value.

Mike in New River Valley
08 HB MT 6
MikeinNRV is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:53 AM
all
Level I Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinNRV View Post
I need to update and clarify my OP; I was able to find a dealership with a part and get the repair complete. While discussing the situation with the dealership, we realized the $1500 is the trade in allowance; it is not on top of the market value.
So with this recall, I checked the NHTSA website and it looks to be 3 recalls, what do I have to do? Just call a Nissan dealer and see if they can fix it? This is my first car and I'm not sure what to do about this. I don't have another car to drive if it needs to be kept by the dealer.
all is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southwest Virginia, USA
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by all View Post
So with this recall, I checked the NHTSA website and it looks to be 3 recalls, what do I have to do? Just call a Nissan dealer and see if they can fix it? This is my first car and I'm not sure what to do about this. I don't have another car to drive if it needs to be kept by the dealer.
You don't "have to" do anything. You can continue to drive the car. But, if you don't take it to a repair shop authorized by Nissan then you are accepting all the risk.
If you schedule an appointment with the dealership/shop for the passenger side air bags and/or the suspension corrosion, they have the responsibility to check for the recall on the driver-side air bag. Then, they have the responsibility to inform you of the options of an extended loaner car or the trade-in allowance.
This is outlined in the recall bulletins sent between Nissan and the dealerships. You can find it as an attachment to the recall notice in this NHTSA site.
If you accept the loaner car, you are not allowed to move the affected (recalled) car.
Good news is, the repair of the driver-side air bag took only 20 minutes to complete. Bad news is not many repair kits will be available before March or April.
Some advice, go into the dealerships with printed copies of the recall notices and bulletins to dealerships and show them your are informed and want all the service due you as an owner.

Mike in New River Valley
08 HB MT 6
MikeinNRV is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 05:30 PM
all
Level I Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinNRV View Post
You don't "have to" do anything. You can continue to drive the car. But, if you don't take it to a repair shop authorized by Nissan then you are accepting all the risk.
If you schedule an appointment with the dealership/shop for the passenger side air bags and/or the suspension corrosion, they have the responsibility to check for the recall on the driver-side air bag. Then, they have the responsibility to inform you of the options of an extended loaner car or the trade-in allowance.
This is outlined in the recall bulletins sent between Nissan and the dealerships. You can find it as an attachment to the recall notice in this NHTSA site.
If you accept the loaner car, you are not allowed to move the affected (recalled) car.
Good news is, the repair of the driver-side air bag took only 20 minutes to complete. Bad news is not many repair kits will be available before March or April.
Some advice, go into the dealerships with printed copies of the recall notices and bulletins to dealerships and show them your are informed and want all the service due you as an owner.
I called all the nearest Nissan dealers and non of them have the driver air bag inflation, one of them will allow me to get a loaner/rental until parts arrive though. So I guess I will go get the rental. But I can't use my car in the meantime and I don't have a garage.
all is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 01:07 AM
Level VI Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central, VA
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Im game.

You want $1500 for your 6 speed?!?!?!

I live in Richmond, VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinNRV View Post
I need to update and clarify my OP; I was able to find a dealership with a part and get the repair complete. While discussing the situation with the dealership, we realized the $1500 is the trade in allowance; it is not on top of the market value.
Cobb is offline  
 
Thread Tools



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome