Installing HIDs - Nissan Versa Forums
General Technical & Electrical Anything not in a specific group, discuss here

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Level I Member
 
Cameron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing HIDs

Hello all.

I've just bought my first Nissan Versa, and coming from my previous vehicle, a Chevrolet Silverado, you might say I'm a little out of my element. For instance, I would like to install HID headlights, but the only guides I've found on Youtube/Google searches are for projector headlights, not just new bulbs. Of course, replacing the lamps looks like it requires pretty much complete disassembly of the front bumper/wheel well, which I'm not interested in. Is there an easier way to just replace the stock halogen bulbs with HID bulbs?
Cameron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 10-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Level VI Member
 
RedAlertV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There is, it's a little cramped in there but you can take bulb off and replace with HID kit.

11' 1.8 6sp HB
Cosmetic: 8000K HIDs, Custom Interior Accent Lighting, License LED, Blacked out Grille, VHT Tailights, 18" Konig
Performance: Fujita CAI, DC Sport Cat-Back,
Suspension: UR FSTB, Tein Springs
RedAlertV is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Level VI Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Welcome, I just did the opposite move from what you did.

As far as HID's go, they require a special housing, if not a projector housing. There are drop in kits out there, but the reflector housing on the Versa's scatters the light really badly, and blinds oncoming drivers. I tried putting them in my Versa, but had to aim them so low so people would stop turning their highbeams on at me that I might as well have not had HID's. Sure they were bright, but the light distribution is atrocious and made me miss the halogen bulbs. Notice my avatar picture... The light goes all over the place and there is no defined cut off line where the light stopped. I got tired of looking like an a-hole and switched back. I do alot of country driving and the stock versa headlights are plenty bright for that!

What made you switch to a Versa?

Drew
2016 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 Quad Cab
2017 Harley Road King Special
ADOversa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Level V Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HID headlights in halogen housing = rice and pure blindness for oncoming drivers. It is that simple. The light patterns between HID's and Halogens are worlds apart and cannot simply be interchanged.

Either get projector headlights or retrofit if your going to get HID's

Last edited by Versa12; 10-18-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Versa12 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 10-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Level II Member
 
Trigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: avondale, AZ
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i got hids on mine and i dont have a problem with it it seems to work fine for me and i got mine from this site Discover a huge range of vehicle hid lamps, hid lights, hid conversions, hid xenon, xenon lights, hid kits (hid 9006), xenon hid conversions
Trigger is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 10-21-2012, 03:39 AM
Level III Member
 
dortiz29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have HID's in the stock housing. Buy some from here:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

Our size is 9003 and we need the hi/lo. They work great. They install right in just like a normal halogen bulb would and they dont wobble or anything. The wiring was very easy as well. I have the lights tilted down a little bit as to not blind people. I have NEVER been flashed. I can see fine. and there are people around where I live with HID's that don't tilt them and they blind people. I get complemented on them, and I have never had anyone say they look ricey.

Name:Drew
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa Hatchback
-Coverking seat covers
-DDM Tuning 8000k HID's
-Aftermarket A/C knobs
-Blue led interior lighting
-Takeda SRI
-Custom Megan Racing N1 axleback


116
dortiz29 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Level I Member
 
Cameron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOversa View Post
Welcome, I just did the opposite move from what you did.

As far as HID's go, they require a special housing, if not a projector housing. There are drop in kits out there, but the reflector housing on the Versa's scatters the light really badly, and blinds oncoming drivers. I tried putting them in my Versa, but had to aim them so low so people would stop turning their highbeams on at me that I might as well have not had HID's. Sure they were bright, but the light distribution is atrocious and made me miss the halogen bulbs. Notice my avatar picture... The light goes all over the place and there is no defined cut off line where the light stopped. I got tired of looking like an a-hole and switched back. I do alot of country driving and the stock versa headlights are plenty bright for that!

What made you switch to a Versa?
Among other reasons, gas.
I drive a LOT, with a (very serious) girlfriend that lives an hour away, and no interest in a long distance relationship, I found it best to make a change. I miss my truck, but I can justify selling it. As for going Versa, I didn't go to the dealership with a Versa on my mind. But, after driving it, and it getting very high praise from numerous people, including personal friends I decided to go with it. Admittedly, switching to HIDs would be 75% for looks and 25% for visibility purposes, but I do miss driving with HIDs, compared to halogens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dortiz29
I have HID's in the stock housing. Buy some from here:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

Our size is 9003 and we need the hi/lo. They work great. They install right in just like a normal halogen bulb would and they dont wobble or anything. The wiring was very easy as well. I have the lights tilted down a little bit as to not blind people. I have NEVER been flashed. I can see fine. and there are people around where I live with HID's that don't tilt them and they blind people. I get complemented on them, and I have never had anyone say they look ricey.
How did the plug for the stock bulb go into the ballast? I guess I need to do a little research.. This is the first non-American car I've ever owned, you could say I don't know what I'm doing. Haha.

Thank you all for the input.
Cameron is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 10-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Level VI Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post


How did the plug for the stock bulb go into the ballast? I guess I need to do a little research.. This is the first non-American car I've ever owned, you could say I don't know what I'm doing. Haha.
It just has its own harness you plug into one of the plugs from the cars harness. Not that I am recommending it. I don't know how it is there but there is alot of hate here towards people who run HID's in stock housings... anything from people getting their cars keyed to things thrown at them as they are driving.

Drew
2016 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 Quad Cab
2017 Harley Road King Special
ADOversa is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 10-24-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Level I Member
 
Cameron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOversa View Post
It just has its own harness you plug into one of the plugs from the cars harness. Not that I am recommending it. I don't know how it is there but there is alot of hate here towards people who run HID's in stock housings... anything from people getting their cars keyed to things thrown at them as they are driving.
I had HIDs in my truck, (stock housing) and I got brighted a couple of times, which didn't really bother me, but that was it. I'm gonna try it, maybe feel it out. I saw something about angling the beams down? If it becomes a problem I may give that a shot.
Cameron is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 10-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Level III Member
 
dortiz29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOversa View Post
It just has its own harness you plug into one of the plugs from the cars harness. Not that I am recommending it. I don't know how it is there but there is alot of hate here towards people who run HID's in stock housings... anything from people getting their cars keyed to things thrown at them as they are driving.
Are you serious? Where I live most people who have HID's have them in the stock housing. Everyone just does it lol. The only people I see with HID's in projectors are the cars that come stock with HID's already installed.

Name:Drew
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa Hatchback
-Coverking seat covers
-DDM Tuning 8000k HID's
-Aftermarket A/C knobs
-Blue led interior lighting
-Takeda SRI
-Custom Megan Racing N1 axleback


116
dortiz29 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome