I'm looking to buy a Trailer Hitch for my Versa 2009 - Nissan Versa Forums
General Versa Discussion Everything about Versa's that does not fit in another forum

User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-05-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Level I Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm looking to buy a Trailer Hitch for my Versa 2009

I found one on ebay for $166 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Curt-Class-...AAAOxySE9Q5LFQ

I wonder if anyone has a used one for less?

Thanks.
vaulter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 12-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Level IV Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Most towns have a welding shop that specializes in hitches. I would check locally. My guess is that it is going to be close to that price but you may get installation included.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-C11378.ht...&hhmodel=Versa

Found this one on the web

Last edited by Alan_nc; 12-05-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Alan_nc is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 12-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Level VI Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In the old days the dealers were smart enough and cared enough about driver safety (and dealer liability) to never allow towing on the smaller engines as it tears them up pretty quick if overloaded and if towing anything at all on a 2 liter or less you are pretty much overloaded and even worse with the modern OD trans ratios now used. The owner manuals used to always say never tow with a four cylinder. Fast forward to today and drivers with no clue and the dealers will tell you you can tow with a tricycle as it wears the engines out faster and sells more new cars that way.

Yours and do as you will but I used to replace the engines that were towed on at way less than 100K miles for a delivery company, them being slick--ssed worn out at that low miles.

Not talking about a one time light tow but if you do it on a regular basis you are asking for it. A 2.5 will probably be OK but nothing smaller.
pimperell likes this.
amc49 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 12-09-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Level I Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
In the old days the dealers were smart enough and cared enough about driver safety (and dealer liability) to never allow towing on the smaller engines as it tears them up pretty quick if overloaded and if towing anything at all on a 2 liter or less you are pretty much overloaded and even worse with the modern OD trans ratios now used. The owner manuals used to always say never tow with a four cylinder. Fast forward to today and drivers with no clue and the dealers will tell you you can tow with a tricycle as it wears the engines out faster and sells more new cars that way.

Yours and do as you will but I used to replace the engines that were towed on at way less than 100K miles for a delivery company, them being slick--ssed worn out at that low miles.

Not talking about a one time light tow but if you do it on a regular basis you are asking for it. A 2.5 will probably be OK but nothing smaller.
I am not going to tow any trailers with it. I only need it to tow my 400lb motorcycle for 15 miles to a shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	14298  
vaulter is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 12-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Level IV Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you expect it to be a one time thing, maybe you can borrow a pickup truck with a ramp.
SlickVersa is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 12-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Level IV Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Don't forget to take the chain off prior to the towing......
Alan_nc is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 12-10-2018, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Level I Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_nc View Post
Don't forget to take the chain off prior to the towing......
why is that?
I thought putting the gear on N should be enough.
vaulter is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 12-10-2018, 09:30 AM
Level IV Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You have a 'wet' clutch. So there is oil between the clutch plates. If you spin one side (either the clutch disks or pressure plate disks) by rotating the back wheel you will heat up the oil expand the clutch plates and at best burn (wear) them quite a bit, at worst they expand, make contact, and begin spinning the engine. Not sure about your bike but it probably has between 5 and 9 clutch plates. The distance between the plates is fractions of an inch so spinning one side will heat them very quickly.
Alan_nc is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 12-10-2018, 11:08 PM
Level IV Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_nc View Post
You have a 'wet' clutch. So there is oil between the clutch plates. If you spin one side (either the clutch disks or pressure plate disks) by rotating the back wheel you will heat up the oil expand the clutch plates and at best burn (wear) them quite a bit, at worst they expand, make contact, and begin spinning the engine. Not sure about your bike but it probably has between 5 and 9 clutch plates. The distance between the plates is fractions of an inch so spinning one side will heat them very quickly.
Will keeping a clutch handle squeezed (for example using cable zip ties) make it safe?
SlickVersa is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 12-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Level I Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A motorcycle clutch does not spin when the transmission is in neutral. I'm a motorcycle mechanic. The oil pump however does not pump oil to the transmission when the engine isn't running so eventually the gears and bearings get starved for oil. Removing the chain is necessary for long distance towing but I wouldn't bother for 5 miles.
Q Myers is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome