Aftermarket map light - Nissan Versa Forums
Interior Forum Discuss about seats, steering wheel, fabric and gauges

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-04-2013, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Level I Member
 
shield1561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aftermarket map light

Hi all. I noticed my 2013 versa sv doesn't have a map light in the front or a convenient way to turn on the dome light from the dash. Is it possible to add an aftermarket one or battery powered led? Has anyone attempted this? Looking for ideas.

Thanks!
Justin

Daily Driver: 2013 Nissan Versa SV in Brick Red
Options from Factory: Interior Trim Applique, Splash Guards, Carpeted Trunk and Floor Mats.
Dealer Installed Options: All Season Versa Branded Floor Mats

Garage Queen: 2004 Lincoln Aviator AWD Ultimate Edition in Black
Options: Power Moonroof, Heated/Cooled Leather Seats, 3rd Row, Too Much to List... Just a gas hog sucking down 91+ Octane
shield1561 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Level IV Member
 
VinnieVersa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shield1561 View Post
Hi all. I noticed my 2013 versa sv doesn't have a map light in the front or a convenient way to turn on the dome light from the dash. Is it possible to add an aftermarket one or battery powered led? Has anyone attempted this? Looking for ideas.

Thanks!
Justin
Justin: I have been searching for a map light as well. 4DRZ have a brief note on installing a map light on the following thread
I just have to get a little more comfortable about finding the wires and also the SL map light. I may just settle for a battery mirror visor combo that clips on to the visor.
Click on link below

https://www.nissanversaforums.com/int...unlocking.html
VinnieVersa is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Level I Member
 
shield1561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the reply Vinnie. This morning I actually order a CIPA 36500 mirror to replace the stock mirror in my Versa. It has autodim, compass, temp, and map lights built in. I started looking at the instructions after and I think I'm gonna have to find a shop to install it lol makes me nervous all the wiring and tapping into the cars wiring :-/

Daily Driver: 2013 Nissan Versa SV in Brick Red
Options from Factory: Interior Trim Applique, Splash Guards, Carpeted Trunk and Floor Mats.
Dealer Installed Options: All Season Versa Branded Floor Mats

Garage Queen: 2004 Lincoln Aviator AWD Ultimate Edition in Black
Options: Power Moonroof, Heated/Cooled Leather Seats, 3rd Row, Too Much to List... Just a gas hog sucking down 91+ Octane
shield1561 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Level IV Member
 
VinnieVersa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shield1561 View Post
Thanks for the reply Vinnie. This morning I actually order a CIPA 36500 mirror to replace the stock mirror in my Versa. It has autodim, compass, temp, and map lights built in. I started looking at the instructions after and I think I'm gonna have to find a shop to install it lol makes me nervous all the wiring and tapping into the cars wiring :-/
I just looked at the instructions on Ebay and it really is not that difficult. Have to unclip the head liner and the A pillar on the drivers side. Attach the Tap to one of the iginition wires or use a fuse tap ( my idea) one of the accessories fuses. Looks like it is straight forward.

I have not been able to find a map light to install in the head liner of the Versa. I did pull the wire diagram from a pdf file to better understand where the harness is located. Let us know how your map mirror works out. VV
VinnieVersa is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Level I Member
 
shield1561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey Vinnie, I may take a shot at it. The one thing I'm confused about is that the car needs to be on for the maplights to work. I think I saw somewhere how to hook it up to the courtsey lights with the doors but I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to make the map lights hot all the time and the rest of the functions on the mirror reliant upon the ignition wire. Any idea on that?

Daily Driver: 2013 Nissan Versa SV in Brick Red
Options from Factory: Interior Trim Applique, Splash Guards, Carpeted Trunk and Floor Mats.
Dealer Installed Options: All Season Versa Branded Floor Mats

Garage Queen: 2004 Lincoln Aviator AWD Ultimate Edition in Black
Options: Power Moonroof, Heated/Cooled Leather Seats, 3rd Row, Too Much to List... Just a gas hog sucking down 91+ Octane
shield1561 is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Level IV Member
 
VinnieVersa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shield1561 View Post
Hey Vinnie, I may take a shot at it. The one thing I'm confused about is that the car needs to be on for the maplights to work. I think I saw somewhere how to hook it up to the courtsey lights with the doors but I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to make the map lights hot all the time and the rest of the functions on the mirror reliant upon the ignition wire. Any idea on that?
Not sure if you want to have the map light go on unless the key is in the ignition and turned on to the accessories. Take a look at where I added a fuse tap ( red wire in photo) to add the additional 12 volt power plug option. The tap/fuse is actually adding another circuit to the fuse panel.

Link below
https://www.nissanversaforums.com/int...s-2012-hb.html

Fuse Taps look like this. Make sure you get the correct size

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...e+tap&_sacat=0

Last edited by VinnieVersa; 04-08-2013 at 10:57 PM.
VinnieVersa is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Level I Member
 
shield1561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I like that idea Vinnie :-) Would that be the same on a 2013 sedan? I'm also looking to add a couple of outlets like you did also but want one to be constant hot because I tend to leave my phone charging in the car when I'm at work. Any ideas on that?

Thanks!
-Justin

Daily Driver: 2013 Nissan Versa SV in Brick Red
Options from Factory: Interior Trim Applique, Splash Guards, Carpeted Trunk and Floor Mats.
Dealer Installed Options: All Season Versa Branded Floor Mats

Garage Queen: 2004 Lincoln Aviator AWD Ultimate Edition in Black
Options: Power Moonroof, Heated/Cooled Leather Seats, 3rd Row, Too Much to List... Just a gas hog sucking down 91+ Octane
shield1561 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Level V Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I use the flexible usb light that you can shape into almost any form you desire, along with the dual port usb car charger that is placed in the auxiliary power plug. Ignition on, light is activated and can be pointed in any direction. I have mine pointed towards the front of the car, and in the day, you don't know its on, but at night, it can illuminate well enough to read a map or check out whats in your glove compartment.



Silver LED USB Mini Light Lamp Flexible for PC Computer Notebook Laptop 80487 | eBay

Mini Dual Bullet USB 2 Port Car Charger Adaptor for iPhone 3G s 4 4G iPod Touch | eBay
pimperell is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Level IV Member
 
VinnieVersa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shield1561 View Post
I like that idea Vinnie :-) Would that be the same on a 2013 sedan? I'm also looking to add a couple of outlets like you did also but want one to be constant hot because I tend to leave my phone charging in the car when I'm at work. Any ideas on that?

Thanks!
-Justin
I don't have the fuse block layout on the 2013, but you can look for the same fuse location for the tap. If you are looking to find a circuit that is hot when the ignition is turned off, you might want to pull the fuses at the fuse block one at a time and use a volt meter to check if there is voltage when the ignition is off. I'm not too thrilled about having a live circuit on when the ignition is off. I ordered a visor mirror with lights on ebay and see how it looks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Large-Li...2dadc1&vxp=mtr

Last edited by VinnieVersa; 04-10-2013 at 10:42 AM.
VinnieVersa is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Level IV Member
 
VinnieVersa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimperell View Post
I use the flexible usb light that you can shape into almost any form you desire, along with the dual port usb car charger that is placed in the auxiliary power plug. Ignition on, light is activated and can be pointed in any direction. I have mine pointed towards the front of the car, and in the day, you don't know its on, but at night, it can illuminate well enough to read a map or check out whats in your glove compartment.



Silver LED USB Mini Light Lamp Flexible for PC Computer Notebook Laptop 80487 | eBay

Mini Dual Bullet USB 2 Port Car Charger Adaptor for iPhone 3G s 4 4G iPod Touch | eBay
I am going to order up both the USB options. Thank you for pointing out these options.
VinnieVersa is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome