As some of you probably know, I recently converted my Honda Accord from an automatic to a manual. I did lose some of the pictures during the process, but heres what I have....in no specific order.
First thing I did was to go ahead and get the actual pedals swapped for the conversion.
Auto brake pedal removed
Manual brake pedal installed. This was possibly the most irritating part of the whole conversion. If requires you to be upside down with little room to move at all. Once you get the brake pedal in, you then have to blindly use a pair of needle nose pliers and try to hook the spring onto the new pedal. This of course is after you either hook the pedal but the spring comes off the car or the spring just falls on the floor which requires you to get out of the car, find it, and then get back in upside down to start over.
Next up is to install the clutch master cylinder along with the clutch pedal assembly. Ignore the wiring mess....it is on my to do list to be cleaned up.
I didnt have a hole saw so as you can see I had to drill quite a few small holes and then punch it out.
I then smoothed it out and sprayed it down with a zinc rich primer to prevent rust on the exposed medal. Here, I was able to get the master cylinder in and avoid any sort of cutting or tears. 2 spacers need to be added on the studs.
This is looking straight up underneath the dashboard and is directly below the cowl and windshield wiper motor. Here you have to drill a hole to line up with the assembly for a bolt to help secure it and prevent the clutch pedal assembly from bending when used. It was more difficult because people who remove the wiper motors and arms have a hell of a time installing them correctly again. They have issues of the wipers ramming against the side of the windshield and destroying the motors/wiper plastic bushings. I dont think I took a picture but the bolt was tucked back in the cowl and could only be accessed by long pliers.
Installed! This too took quite a bit of time to get everything positioned up correctly and would have helped had I had a second person.
Here is the master cylinder. I ordered a custom $80 stainless steel line from Bonaco that goes directly from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. This save a TON of time and headaches by avoiding Hondas original dampener system.
Now to remove the auto shifter assembly.
Removed. Now I have access to the auto shifter linkage
After removal, you need to save the plug to wire up the clutch safety switch and cruise control along with a couple other things.
Everything wired up correctly
Now to get the wiring over to the clutch pedal
Transmission arrived in "lovely" shape. According to the salvage yard, it only had 82k miles!!!
Heres where the heart of the beast resides! So far the strut bar, intake, battery, cables, and the starter have been removed.
Sacrificed a screwdriver for the axle nut.
I replaced the lower ball joints as well....but they ended up getting cuts in the boot during this swap so theyll have to be replaced again soon. NOTE: O'Reilys has the best designed kit for removing the balljoints from Hondas. Advance Auto/Autozone were a terrible setup but I had to use theirs. When I rented the O'Reilys kit, some had crushed the adapter and O'Reilys thought I did it so make sure you examine rental tools before leaving the store.
Instead of removing the exhaust to get some bolts needed to remove the shift linakage way back in there. I just went ahead and drilled a couple holes big enough to get a socket in.
Manual shifter linakge
In the car: This required 8 new bushings as the auto ones were not interchangeable. I had to wait almost 2 months to get the bushings as hondapartsnow, majestichonda, and other places kept cancelling my order saying they werent available. Turns out, there were only 6 in the ENTIRE country. So I eventually got those and just made 2 myself.
ECU swapped out for the exact same car as mine, except the manaul version. On the 94-95 Accords, the TCU is not integrated into the ECU so all you have to do is unplug it. Would have made it a bit more simple.
Oil pan was leaking so I had a Honda Tech replace it with HondaBond. However, when I started the car it started pissing out oil. Went ahead and got a new oil pan and OEM oil pan gasket. We also replaced the rear main seal during the swap.
Transmission is out! However, we did miss a bolt and took a small chunk out out the auto tranny case. Oh well.
Auto vs Manual
Here you have to drill a new hole for the manual transmission motor mount. If you reuse the auto bolt location it will cause the axle to bind and will need to be replaced every couple of weeks. NO store carried a 12mm drill bit, this biggest was 11mm so I had to order one of of Amazon. Then as soon as I got one hole drilled out, the bit broke.
This was another headache. Routing the manual shifter cables and trying to get them connected to the bracket along with the C clips when you can even get your hands down there! The main issue is that the rear motor mount for an automatic is quite a bit bigger than the manual version. Because of this you really have to keep trying over and over to find the most efficient way to route the cables and gain any millimeters that you can.
Very little room for the cables
Finally attached and ready to go
Im missing a bunch of photos after this