Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I bought a Versa, 2008. Car has been neglected on services for quiet some time. As soon as I got it I put a new radiator on, was testing it out. Shut it off and it set overnight. The next day I had to peck on the fuel pump to get it started. It ran empty of fuel so I added a can of seafoam and was going to fill it with gas but my gas jug was half full. I put 3-4 gallons in it and ran it to the gas station about 15-20 minutes away, and stupidly used another bottle on fill up. I drove it for several miles and parked it for the evening.
The next day I could not get it to fire. I have replaced the fuel pump, the evap canister purge valve on the intake and put new plugs in it and cannot get it to fire, although when giving it a little fuel when turning it over it seems like it wants to try and catch.
Do you guys think I’ve smoked the fuel injectors or what? It’s dead in the water, I don’t have a code reader.
any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
211 Posts
As a test, I'd spray a little starting fluid down her throat and see if she choked or attempted to start on the starting fluid.
I'm just guessing here, but the seafoam may not be combustible enough to fire. When I add seafoam to my work truck through the brake booster hose, I have to dribble in very small amounts or the engine will die, so I assume seafoam doesn't have the octane to create the fire required for combustion.
I'm thinking you just have too high a concentrate of seafoam to gas ratio. This seafoam gas mixture is in the lines, tank, etc., so that is why I would want to try some alternative source of gas like starting fluid. (not too much though... just a small amount)
Again, this is just a guess...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a test, I'd spray a little starting fluid down her throat and see if she choked or attempted to start on the starting fluid.
I'm just guessing here, but the seafoam may not be combustible enough to fire. When I add seafoam to my work truck through the brake booster hose, I have to dribble in very small amounts or the engine will die, so I assume seafoam doesn't have the octane to create the fire required for combustion.
I'm thinking you just have too high a concentrate of seafoam to gas ratio. This seafoam gas mixture is in the lines, tank, etc., so that is why I would want to try some alternative source of gas like starting fluid. (not too much though... just a small amount)
Again, this is just a guess...
I attempted this before the tank and evap sensor replacement, I will attempt again and see if it gets me started. I’ve killed the battery trying to turn this thing over. Lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
I attempted this before the tank and evap sensor replacement...
An engine needs air, fuel, compression and spark (at the right time) to fire. If you've already attempted to add starting fluid as the fuel component, you are missing some other aspect of the equation. Unless, your injectors are throwing way too much fuel into the combustion chamber and the mixture is just too rich even for starting fluid to light off, but I kind of doubt that. I still think she should at least cough and kick a little on starting fluid... again don't add too much, just a little.

I'm wondering if the computer is not allowing spark for some reason?? I do think you need to confirm that you are getting spark.

I’ve killed the battery trying to turn this thing over. Lol
You do need a strong battery to both spin the engine fast enough and to operate all of the computers (properly). On other vehicles (I've owned), I have seen a low battery wreak havoc with some of the computers, thus you get intermittent electrical gremlins that pop up. After re-charging your battery, do a load test on it to make sure it can handle all the demands of the car at startup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An engine needs air, fuel, compression and spark (at the right time) to fire. If you've already attempted to add starting fluid as the fuel component, you are missing some other aspect of the equation. Unless, your injectors are throwing way too much fuel into the combustion chamber and the mixture is just too rich even for starting fluid to light off, but I kind of doubt that. I still think she should at least cough and kick a little on starting fluid... again don't add too much, just a little.

I'm wondering if the computer is not allowing spark for some reason?? I do think you need to confirm that you are getting spark.

You do need a strong battery to both spin the engine fast enough and to operate all of the computers (properly). On other vehicles (I've owned), I have seen a low battery wreak havoc with some of the computers, thus you get intermittent electrical gremlins that pop up. After re-charging your battery, do a load test on it to make sure it can handle all the demands of the car at startup.
I was able to confirm tonight that I do have spark. I pulled my #4 and had the fiancé turn it over. I was holding it compressed to the coil with an insulated pair of pliers and got my butt eat up! Also, while I had it broke down I had her attempt to turn it over while I sprayed a little starting fluid in the intake. The starting fluid actually made it bog down more... and the brand new plugs I just put in are covered in black soot. I’m guessing I have an imbalance somewhere

·
Registered
528 Posts
Get that cheap scan tool! You need some more direction here.

Is there oil in the intake ducting? If so, your pcv is probably not working. With it running, you should have vacuum at the dip stick out, in that hole, and not pressure coming out. I believe it should be the same while cranking too, but am not 100% on that, if anyone wants to give it a shot and report back on a known good car? Hold your foot to the floor on the gas pedal while cranking and it won't start.

Running rich for that short time would most likely just have them wet, not all soot, I would think.

Another strike against the pcv is the fact that all of the plugs are soot. Either all injectors are stuck open, unlikely, or all of the piston rings failed at the same time, unlikely.

Other possibilities? Engine coolant temp sensor. It's the main ecm input for fuel enrichment on cold starts. Totally messed up a/f sensor, but should still start since it take a couple seconds for it to warm up to start working at all.

I'm leaning toward clogged pcv or pcv hose. The bose is probably hard as a rock.

Just reread and forgot all about the seafoam...I hate that they sell these things. Not sure how that comes into play with the soot now.

I guess I'd try this next. Do a long clear flood crank, with your foot to the floor like I mentioned before. Then have someone do that, while you try spraying some brake cleaner or something into the throttle body. Clear flood let's spark occur, but disables injectors. If you've got a bad mixture in the tank, it should be removed from the equation with this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get that cheap scan tool! You need some more direction here.

Is there oil in the intake ducting? If so, your pcv is probably not working. With it running, you should have vacuum at the dip stick out, in that hole, and not pressure coming out. I believe it should be the same while cranking too, but am not 100% on that, if anyone wants to give it a shot and report back on a known good car? Hold your foot to the floor on the gas pedal while cranking and it won't start.

Running rich for that short time would most likely just have them wet, not all soot, I would think.
plugs were dry and black. Intake valves are wet and look like have oil on them. I’ve had the PCV off, I’ve cleaned it with carb cleaner a while back and it shakes freely. In the 08s the fuel filter is internal in the pump correct? Just ensuring that it does not have some other filter or something that may be clogged up. Not sure if maybe I have a vacuum line stopped up. I’m kinda stumped to be honest. I’m an industrial maintenance technician so while I’m great at turning wrenches, I’m lost when it comes to motors.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Try the clear flood thing I mentioned then, to bypass whatever fuel is in the tank. Or pull the fuel pump fuse and try spraying it, but there's still going to be some fuel in there being sprayed for for a bit. Or just get it out of the tank. You can disconnect the fuel line at the rail and let the pump drain it into a jug for you.

The filter is part of the pump, yeah.

If you have spark, then a toot of some brake cleaner should try to start it, otherwise there's another issue going on.

When you sprayed it before and it bogged, did you happen to spray it at the MAF sensor in the intake plumbing by accident?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try the clear flood thing I mentioned then, to bypass whatever fuel is in the tank. Or pull the fuel pump fuse and try spraying it, but there's still going to be some fuel in there being sprayed for for a bit. Or just get it out of the tank. You can disconnect the fuel line at the rail and let the pump drain it into a jug for you.

The filter is part of the pump, yeah.

If you have spark, then a toot of some brake cleaner should try to start it, otherwise there's another issue going on.

When you sprayed it before and it bogged, did you happen to spray it at the MAF sensor in the intake plumbing by accident?
rented a code reader today. It’s throwing the following

P0733
P1217
P0300

looking them up kinda tells me what I already know. There is a generic problem in the fuel air system. The 1217 was fromwhen it overheated on the previous owner, I installed a new radiator at purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you try any of the suggestions yet?
I put new injectors in it today, it’ll start and run for a second and if you attempt to give it any more fuel it’ll die. Some white smoke briefly came out of the exhaust. I think I’m going to drain the tank and swap fuel in it tomorrow and then push it out of the fuel rail at the engine into a coke bottle or something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you try any of the suggestions yet?
I also forgot to mention that I tried the flood clear method with my foot to the floor like you suggested and it responded well! It started for a minute and with my foot to the floor it finally picked up but the idle was super baffled like it was restricted for what it should have been at 4K and she was pouring the smoke out the tailpipe. Think I should go ahead and just change that pcv and hose and see if that helps?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Some white smoke briefly came out of the exhaust.
I do remember when I "seafoam"ed a friend's car (1/3 can dribbled through the brake booster hose), then we let it "hot soak". When he started it and went down the road, a lot of thick white opaque smoke came out of the tail pipe. It cleared up in a few minutes. I am wondering if the white smoke you are seeing is related to the seafoam in the fuel.

I think I’m going to drain the tank and swap fuel in it tomorrow and then push it out of the fuel rail at the engine into a coke bottle or something.
Yes, I agree with tutti57... I'd want to take that seafoam/fuel out of the equation and have clean fresh fuel in the tank and lines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do remember when I "seafoam"ed a friend's car (1/3 can dribbled through the brake booster hose), then we let it "hot soak". When he started it and went down the road, a lot of thick white opaque smoke came out of the tail pipe. It cleared up in a few minutes. I am wondering if the white smoke you are seeing is related to the seafoam in the fuel.

Yes, I agree with tutti57... I'd want to take that seafoam/fuel out of the equation and have clean fresh fuel in the tank and lines.
I swapped out the PCV, and the fuel, emptied about a 20oz coke bottle out of the rail. I got it to fire but it was super restricted not coming up to full throttle. I assume I probably have a ton of stuff in there that needs to be cleared out. However, I have burned up the starter Trying to get it to fire. Super super slow to crank, even after charging the battery

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also forgot to mention that I tried the flood clear method with my foot to the floor like you suggested and it responded well! It started for a minute and with my foot to the floor it finally picked up but the idle was super baffled like it was restricted for what it should have been at 4K and she was pouring the smoke out the tailpipe. Think I should go ahead and just change that pcv and hose and see if that helps?
Honestly that sounds like a stopped up cat , that will give you that multiple misfire code when everything is in working order. If you got fire, fuel, and compression. the restriction is from a bad cat most likely. I had that happen before. also the white smoke sounds like possibly a blown head gasket. water/coolant makes exhaust white. and will do the same thing by sounding restricted because water doesn't burn.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts