Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all,
Have a slow crank getting a little longer the last few days. Battery is new and good 12.87V. Went to Advanced Auto for test: Starter test Results - Low Cranking Amps, Voltage: 11.18V, Amps: 0.0A, Time: 890mS.

The little graph shows a start at the left just below 13V, then drops to 9V and rises to the right finishing just below 12V at the end of the graph.

The note below reads: Starter AMP Draw is low with OK Starter Voltage.

The Charging system Test Result says: No Problems: No Load 14.33V, Loaded 14.32V

Drain Test Results: 0.00A Pass

The guy doing the test said he thinks I may need a new starter, but he just started here, and he's not a mechanic.

Can someone make sense of this for me.

Thanks,
Clay

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Versa S sedan
34 Posts
I agree with the Advanced Auto guy, it sounds like your issue most likely has something to do with the starter. The battery is brand new, voltage is OK, and all other tests came back with positive results aside from the current draw (amperage) to the starter.

Make sure there is nothing that could increase the resistance of the wiring to the starter (this is possible, but unlikely). If nothing else comes up, I feel your best bet is to just replace the starter with a new one.

·
Registered
345 Posts
OP, your battery being new and having a good voltage is fine, but unless the battery is tested under the load, you cannot rule it out. From your description, unless I missed it, does not look like it been load tested (only the charging system seems to be load tested). I am not saying your starter is not a culprit, but before starting to swap parts it may worth to spend a bit more effort for additional diagnostics.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with the Advanced Auto guy, it sounds like your issue most likely has something to do with the starter. The battery is brand new, voltage is OK, and all other tests came back with positive results aside from the current draw (amperage) to the starter.

Make sure there is nothing that could increase the resistance of the wiring to the starter (this is possible, but unlikely). If nothing else comes up, I feel your best bet is to just replace the starter with a new one.
Thanks for the input MrDaggs. Apologies for the late reply, I didn't get a notification. I'm gonna do another voltage drop test on the starter. I already did one but one of my clips broke and I was trying to rig some attachments to my meter to read the results solo. From the chicken scratch I wrote on my 1st test I got:
  • Fuel pump fuse removed
  • Starter terminal B (hot) to ground = Battery Voltage-ish
  • (negative lead to) Starter terminal B (Positive lead to) Battery positive while cranking = 0.21 Volts
  • (positive lead to) Starter housing (negative lead to) Battery negative while cranking = 0.212 Volts
  • (positive lead to) Starter S terminal connector (negative lead to) Battery negative while cranking = Battery Voltage
  • (negative lead to) Starter S terminal connector (positive lead to) Battery positive = less than 1 Volt (loaded), = Battery Voltage (no load)
Gonna look for another clip so I can retest.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OP, your battery being new and having a good voltage is fine, but unless the battery is tested under the load, you cannot rule it out. From your description, unless I missed it, does not look like it been load tested (only the charging system seems to be load tested). I am not saying your starter is not a culprit, but before starting to swap parts it may worth to spend a bit more effort for additional diagnostics.
Thanks for the reply SlickVersa. Sorry to get back at you late, I didn't get a notification. The battery is running 14+ Volts loaded.
I'm gonna do another voltage drop test on the starter. I already did one but one of my clips broke and I was trying to rig some attachments to my meter to read the results solo. From the chicken scratch I wrote on my 1st test I got:
Fuel pump fuse removed
Starter terminal B (hot) to ground = Battery Voltage-ish
(negative lead to) Starter terminal B (Positive lead to) Battery positive while cranking = 0.21 Volts
(positive lead to) Starter housing (negative lead to) Battery negative while cranking = 0.212 Volts
(positive lead to) Starter S terminal connector (negative lead to) Battery negative while cranking = Battery Voltage
(negative lead to) Starter S terminal connector (positive lead to) Battery positive = less than 1 Volt (loaded), = Battery Voltage (no load)
Gonna look for another clip so I can retest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts