Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i purchased this used manual transmission Versa with 90k miles on it. the owner stated that a while back it had an issue starting due to the nuetral clutch switch having to be replaced. for the last 3 months it has been an issue having to mess with switch and continually trying to get it to start. well 2 weeks ago it chose not to start at all and hasn't since. i replaced the switch and all the fuses even remotely close to causing the issue. it will pop start just fine and all electronics work. after taking it to the stealership, they said it was the power control module and some other part wanting 4k to fix it.

sorry for the long kick off, but has anyone had this issue? any place i should look?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think they mean "bump start", since it's a manual, or at-least that's what we call it where I live.

So we know that car will run, it just is having problems starting, correct?

So you woke up this morning you get in the car, and you turn the key, what happens?
Nothing, clicking, Cranking?

What have you tested, and how?

·
Registered
716 Posts
hello all, i purchased this used manual transmission Versa with 90k miles on it. the owner stated that a while back it had an issue starting due to the nuetral clutch switch having to be replaced. for the last 3 months it has been an issue having to mess with switch and continually trying to get it to start. well 2 weeks ago it chose not to start at all and hasn't since. i replaced the switch and all the fuses even remotely close to causing the issue. it will pop start just fine and all electronics work. after taking it to the stealership, they said it was the power control module and some other part wanting 4k to fix it.

sorry for the long kick off, but has anyone had this issue? any place i should look?
What is the year of your vehicle?? You may also have a bad starter that needs to be replaced. What you can try is giving the starter a couple of good wacks with a piece of wood, and see if that helps. Sometimes an older starter will hang up, and a good wack can sometimes get it working. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a 2009, I do not believe it is the starter. i believe it is the neutral safety switch. i had the started and altenator tested and they were fine. the dealer tried saying it needed a whole new PCM, starter and something else for a total of 4000 dollars.

·
Registered
333 Posts
its a 2009, I do not believe it is the starter. i believe it is the neutral safety switch.
You said it is a manual. Do you mean the safety switch for a clutch? Did you try to jump it to take it out of equation?
Also, you can ask for a second opinion at an independent shop.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Follow post #6 . If the neutral switch acted up before then bypass it with a jumper to make it not there. If you put in a new one and it's not adjusted right then it will go from barely starting to not starting at all.

Car being able to bump start means nothing is wrong with the computer or anything that keeps car running.

You don't even need a neutral switch in an MTX car unless you are so witless a driver you cannot think to either push in the clutch or make sure trans is in neutral before you start it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts