Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will shift fine if I'm in the city constantly shifting (clutch in, out, in , out). If I don't shift for a while (hwy driving) the clutch has no pressure. I can push it all the way to the floor and the car behaves as if I haven't touched the clutch at all. I have to pump the hell out of it to get any pressure back. Then it will shift normal as long as I'm constantly using the clutch. If not, it goes back to not having any pressure.

At least that was the case...

I went to Nissan and purchased a new clutch master cylinder, put it on and attempted to bleed the system. It was at this point I realized there is no bleed valve. There is a nipple...thing on the hydraulic line near the transmission just before the slave cylinder but that's it. It's not a schrader valve....

Anyone bleed this system before? Is that valve/nipple thing supposed to be hooked to a vacuum pump or something? Rubber hose from the valve/nipple into a bottle of brake fluid then work the clutch peddle to suck fluid into the system?
I'm completely stuck until I can get this to work. Thank you for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I don't know about the valve, but on the hwy you can shift without the clutch. When you go past neutral give the throttle a small rev. then shift into gear. Just a tip if you need to get around before its fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it....I think. I filled a shot glass with brake fluid, disconnected the line that goes from the master cylinder to the dampener (on the cylinder end), then submerged the "down spout" portion of the master cylinder in the break fluid. Had my daughter push in the clutch, the fluid bubbled when air was forced out of the cylinder. When she pulled the clutch back up the cylinder sucked fluid into itself. We repeated these steps a couple of times. Then reconnected everything. The clutch feels like it functions as it should. I will test drive asap.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Sometimes its good to do these things yourself, make sure that it's not only done right, but it's actually done.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM//Versa/2009_Versa/CL.pdf

You should read the FSM. It clearly states how to bleed the system, which is definitely different then you described. It also show pictures to help. The FSM states possible issues for your symptoms to be pedal adjustment, air in the line or it's the clutch disc/pressure plate.

How many miles do you have on your car by the way?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Still no good. Same problem as before. Anyone got any ideas?
When I bled the slave cylinder on the cars I have owned in the past using the pedal, it is a two person operation. You open the nipple on or near the slave cylinder, the other person pushes down on the clutch pedal, and holds it down until until the nipple is closed. Once the nipple is closed,the person can let up on the pedal. You repeat that process until the hose you have connected to the nipple only shows brake fluid coming out with no air bubbles. During this process, make sure you check the master cylinder and keep the fluid level up, otherwise it will suck in more air. Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
When I bled the slave cylinder on the cars I have owned in the past using the pedal, it is a two person operation. You open the nipple on or near the slave cylinder, the other person pushes down on the clutch pedal, and holds it down until until the nipple is closed. Once the nipple is closed,the person can let up on the pedal. You repeat that process until the hose you have connected to the nipple only shows brake fluid coming out with no air bubbles. During this process, make sure you check the master cylinder and keep the fluid level up, otherwise it will suck in more air. Good luck
This is the standard way to bleed and the way I know. The fsm shows something a little different. Plus our cars have an internal slave meaning it's entirely inside the transmission bell housing. Which means the zerk fitting would have to be located somewhere besides on the slave.

I hope the OP figures this all out. Since I have the same car I'm sure I will need to know this eventually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the link. I looked and looked for something like that. I must have looked right at it and just failed to notice it. I'll try this tonight and report back.
Good day Matthewst! Did you ever find the solution of the clutch? We have the same problem replaced the clutch and master cylinder put everything back did, the correct bleeding method but the fluid did come out of clutch nipple and never build up pressure fore the pedal to work it keeps staying flat!
Any help would be much appreciated please.

Regards
Tiaan

·
Registered
328 Posts
I can't find it now, but if I recall correctly, I believe it's an issue with an O-ring being shifted out of place on the slave cylinder? Problem is, doesn't the transmission have to come back out to get at the slave cylinder?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.