Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I think the last time I was on here is when I just purchased my 2013 versa S sedan. It has the 1.6 with 4 speed auto. Now it has 56k miles and I just paid it off. Was wondering how long these typically last? I know it's a timing chain engine but I hate not having a temp guage in this summer heat. I keep it maintained but drive it pretty hard 70+ miles a day. Think it'll go another 50k easy?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I have a 1.6. Though it's the older model it's basically the same engine. I drive almost 100 miles a day. I am currently at 152k miles and the engine runs in tip top shape. You will go another 50k easily. Just change the oil every 7,500 miles or sooner and enjoy no car payments for awhile.

Reactions: JoshG

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I don't like having a proper temp gauge either, for the big heat stuck in traffic, or the nasty cold.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I'm with Rob here. I have the 1st gen. 1.6 as well and love it. I'm at around 53K(2010) and it runs like new. I have added a few mods but so far its only for looks. Engine is still OEM...for now. Enjoy the good MPGs and no car payment.

·
Registered
690 Posts
7500 mile intervals? That's stretching it pretty far for organic oil. I go 3000 mile intervals.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
7500 mile intervals? That's stretching it pretty far for organic oil. I go 3000 mile intervals.
I use synthetic myself but if you read the manual Nissan's recommended interval depending on driving style is 7,500 miles on regular oil. Even though the OP said he drives hard I'm betting 75 miles a day is mostly highway miles unless he delivers pizza's for a living. Which is totally possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know different regions recommend different intervals. I have a 2013 SV Sedan in Arizona and the dealer recommends a 3500 mile interval regardless of oil type. (no region was beyond interval of 7500 miles) He explained that with the standard oil filter, the multi-pass rating and diminished flow would still really dictate an oil change interval not being extended. I have opened up a standard filter and would never go too far beyond what is recommended.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I know different regions recommend different intervals. I have a 2013 SV Sedan in Arizona and the dealer recommends a 3500 mile interval regardless of oil type. (no region was beyond interval of 7500 miles) He explained that with the standard oil filter, the multi-pass rating and diminished flow would still really dictate an oil change interval not being extended. I have opened up a standard filter and would never go too far beyond what is recommended.
I don't go by dealer recommendations myself. I go by manufacturer. They are totally different. Most dealers around here recommend 3k mile changes or close to it but that is because they are making money on them. I also don't use the nissan filters anymore because they changed manufacturers awhile back and were tested to not be that great. I use purolator pure one filters.

If anyone really wants to know how long they can go and how their engine is doing I highly suggest Blackstone Labs for an oil analysis.

Again alot of your interval will depend on conditions and driving. I drive 80+ miles a day, almost all highway and just cruising. The weather where I live is never all that harsh, I don't tow, and there isn't any dusty conditions. I usually change my oil around the 3 month mark.

per nissan
chedule Options

SCHEDULE 1 (more severe operating conditions), every 3,750 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first

Use Schedule 1 if you primarily operate your vehicle under any of these conditions:

Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in normal temperatures or less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures

Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or low-speed driving for long distances

Driving in dusty conditions or on rough, muddy, or salt-spread roads

Towing a trailer, or using a camper or car-top carrier

SCHEDULE 2 (less severe operating conditions), every 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first

Schedule 2 features 7,500-mile service intervals; with Schedule 2 fewer maintenance items are regularly checked or replaced than Schedule 1.

Generally, Schedule 2 applies only to highway driving in temperate conditions. Use Schedule 2 only if you primarily operate your vehicle under conditions other than those listed in Schedule 1.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It appears for 2014 Nissan has changed their maintenance interval to 5,000 miles or 6 months on most of their cars with additional items added for severe use vehicles.

http://www.ocnissangardengrove.com/usr/file/14Nissan-Service-Maintenance-Guide.pdf

This is quite a change from the 3750/7500 miles 3/6 month interval for 2013 and earlier vehicles.

Just realized this is probably the reason why the service manager of the Nissan dealership has been bugging me via text, email and phone calls to bring my vehicle in for service. He probably did not know there was a change in the schedule.

BTW, I too am a believer of following Manufacturers recommendation for service. Anything more will not hurt anything but is just a waste of money. Dealers and Oil Change Shops will obviously sell you more, as long as you are willing to pay.

Going back to the original topic, it is almost a given that any modern 4 cylinder engine normally used and regularly maintained will last well over 100,000 miles. Most of the time it is other things in the car that will start deteriorating that makes is necessary to replace the car with a newer one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.