Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am totally new to this site and I have a question that probably has been asked and resolved already, but I can't find the answer anywhere. So here goes:

I know the 1.6 is made in Japan by aichi manufacturing...but it doesnt appear that this company also makes the 1.8. does anyone know where the 1.8 is made?? and has there been a difference in reliability between the two motors???

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I seen more failures with the MR but this isn't saying much as there are alot more MR's out there then the HR. Plus it's been around here in the states a little longer. Curious where you got your info on the HR from? Far as I know both engines are a renault/nissan engine and produced at one of their facilities.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
seems legit. I kinda like the fact that it's being made in japan.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
A 1.2L? I never knew they existed. That's gotta be alot of strain on the engine to pull around a car with a 1.2L, and its got to be slow as crap. Wow.... that's just amazing to me. You learn something new everyday I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
If your referring to the HR12DE then it's also a 3 cylinder :). Nissan has a supercharged version too.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I would not be driving a Versa right now if the MR was the only available engine. The HR series had aftermarket supercharger, nissan used it in racing tiida's, returns great fuel economy, been around for awhile in japan and is very quiet. These things are what made me want to gamble on the HR, being a new motor to the states here. I didn't see anything like this for the MR. Plus the fuel economy and power was subpar compared to other 1.8 engines like seen in the corolla.

I pray the MR16ddt in the juke fairs well as it could be nissans new workhorse for many of their cars. But I read the juke forums and so far it is getting the same "crappy mpgs" threads that I saw with the Versa when it first came out. I hope I don't see the same "i need a new engine" threads pop up.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Well a couple of them were from people not keeping up on the oil changes and I'm betting the rest were just lemons. That happens and since nissan has sold a bazillion Versa's with the 1.8 I bet they are far and few between.

I bet yours will last awhile Ashley. I want mine to go 300k. I haven't had a nissan that couldn't handle close to 200k before being sold, but this is my first new car and I keep up on the maintenance very well. 300k is a realistic goal for this little guy.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Rob I hope it lasts. I do keep up on the maintenance as well. And I remember the one individual saying he never did any oil changes on the car which caused him to replace the engine. No one in my family has had experience with Nissan so we hope they last a long time (both my Versa and the Sentra).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well a couple of them were from people not keeping up on the oil changes and I'm betting the rest were just lemons. That happens and since nissan has sold a bazillion Versa's with the 1.8 I bet they are far and few between.

I bet yours will last awhile Ashley. I want mine to go 300k. I haven't had a nissan that couldn't handle close to 200k before being sold, but this is my first new car and I keep up on the maintenance very well. 300k is a realistic goal for this little guy.
law of averages, every manufacture has had motor issues with new cars too. It's a mechanical object and mechanical objects break.

At least it's not another 2.5L fiasco again.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
law of averages, every manufacture has had motor issues with new cars too. It's a mechanical object and mechanical objects break.

At least it's not another 2.5L fiasco again.
totally agree! the 2.5 from 02-03 was just horrible. I can't believe in 2010 they are still using it. I was considering an altima and one of the main reasons I decided not to get it was the 2.5l engine. The MR18 and HR16 seem much better then that was. I can't speak for the later qr25's but horror stories are still in my head from years ago.

·
Registered
189 Posts
im a total beginner in the world of nissan...was formerly a mitsu guy... what was the big deal with the 2.5 if i may ask? where did they go wrong?
I was selling Nissan's at the time when this happened.

Pretty much Nissan changed parts suppliers for a gasket around the oil pump or something like that. But basically causing motors to blow up, nissan stopped the sales of new 2.5l Altimas. Once they finally figured it out everything was taken care of.

The 2.5l Isn't a bad motor, just had a period of time where they had a cheap part.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
the 2.5 also had a precat that liked to crumble and get sucked back into the engine. Not to mention the screws on the throttle plate or butterfly valve would fall out and get sucked into the engine.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Good lord!!! What was Nissan thinking when switching parts!!! That 2.5 sounds like a disaster. I was just thinking about a 2.5 Altima the other day, but not after hearing this. Idc if its fixed, it still happened, and you never know if it will happen again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.