Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says, long road trip on the Versa this weekend to Miami beach
it is about 850 miles one way, got the oil changed, they checked everything, coolant, air filter, suspension, CV joints, belt, hoses, fluids, no leaks, transmission is full.
should I drive 300 miles then rest? oh I do have roadside assistance. this should be fun I think. I wonder what kind of MPG I'm going to get, I will have the AC on. I hope at least 36MPG will be going between 60MPH and 70MPH
so i'll be easy on her, no rush just enjoy the drive and don't want any speeding tickets or anything so safety first. I'm driving way down to the bottom of Florida.

·
Registered
339 Posts
hmm check air filter and make sure tire pressure is on the high side, tailgate trucks and pee out the window

·
Registered
88 Posts
I do a 1,100 mile road trip in September every year. I have to stop every 275-300 miles for fuel, but I drive the automatic CVT so you may get better fuel economy. Since it's a 2007, check the brake pads if you're still on the originals.

I'd get out to stretch and walk around every hour or so to keep from getting highway hypnosis.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
you can do 800 miles in one shot no problem. I've driven from CT to florida before. Just take a little rest and cruise control is your friend. There isn't too much wear and tear on an engine cruising at highway speeds so I'm sure you will be good.

Let us know the mpg's you get. I take a round 400 mile round trip every other year or so. When my 1.6 Versa was new I got 36mpgs on the trip. This time I only got 35. Both times AC was used the whole way and car loaded with people and luggage.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'd like to hear about your mpgs too.
I recommend changing cabin filter, sometimes it gets forgotten.
Trips like these are when i prefer to have a temperature gauge or ScangaugeII, not an idiot light :mad:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
KOOL!!!!

Thanks for all the tips. I got an emergency kit at big lots of 10.00 dollars

will keep everyone posted on my MPG and how the Versa did on the way there and total fuel cost

Game Plan:
Drive 300 miles, fill up and rest, then drive 300 miles, fill up and rest and drive 250ish or whatever to the hotel

Plan B:
Drive 200 and rest

Plan C:
Drive until it gets to the 1/4 mark

my car has no cruise control :D but I'm used to not having it. [my leg and my foot get on survival mode]

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YO!

checked everything on the car, got all the electronics ready my sister made it to Miami on her Mazda3 and because of labor day weekend she said there were a lot of cops :cop3: :cop3: :cop3:
so no speeding :nono: I don't speed anyway and bring cash money for the toll. well.... better get more sleep :sleep:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have update. got between 36 and 35MPG Florida is hot, had the AC on. drove between 60mph and 70mph 70ishmph down hill
drove all day in the hot sun.

love the fire ants, they bite you as soon as they touch your skin.
Knoxville, TN ants are more friendly bc all they want is food

on the way back im driving at night, all night. I like driving at night better

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it took me 3 hours to get from Palm Bay to Miami beach, then I stopped at Palm bay to go to the beach and see my relatives.
I left at 6PM Sunday afternoon and got back monday morning at 7:16AM I had to stop a lot to rest. I got up way to early at the hotel to check out, but I had to or have no time to go to the beach.
I left Miami at 8:30AM and I left palm bay at 6PM Sunday and got home at 7:16AM Monday morning.
I was soooooooooo tired driving, and I had to stop a lot to get coffee and wake back up, but the drive was nice. not hot and no traffic.I had way too much coffee and my heart was beating fast and my arms were tired. I kept looking at my GPS how manymiles to my exit, each mile took for ever; seemed like. I was going between 70MPH and 75MPH, because there were a lot of cops hiding and pulling people over like crazy. so even ifyou had a really fast car you still have to do the speed limit or so or get pulled over and pay a fine.
My Versa did good. I didn't know my car could go that far. MPG was 35, 36, 32, and 36 based on fill up and total miles driven. checked the oil and all the fluids each time I got fuel and it didn't burn oil or anything. everything is still full, but the engine is very dusty and dirty from Road Dust. the oir filter box had bugs but the filter didn't let them into the intake.
it had a lot of sand from the beach but I just got done cleaning it up.
was glad I didn't get a rental car because I was so tired and it would suck to drive to budget rental and return the car and get the bags out and put them in my car and drive my car back home. all those miles were highway miles and it drives like I didn't go any where.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
this is the yacht where the wedding took place

this is the view from the hotel

took this picture from the yacht

took this picture on the way to the beach

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Great mpg's! Nice to see the bigger engine getting those numbers. I don't think my 1.6 could have done any better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I make trips like this often because I travel for work. I break the trip down and stop every 200 miles. That way you drive around 3 hours then stretch you legs a little. I also carry a small cooler full of drinks because it is cheaper than buying one during stops. Using rest areas is also a great way to save some money because I don't buy anything there.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Nice trip!
I didn't bother with rental car either cuz my cars end up being high milers anyway. Extra couple thousand km/mi means nothing.
Did you have to drop down to fifth gear much?
I did a bit for the mountains between home and TN.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks! nope, I didn't have to drop to 5th at all. Florida is very flat.
highway miles are okay as long as the car is in good shape, rental car companies don't care about mileage bc they keep their cars running good.

so.....no hills

Up in the Smoky Mountains the speed limit around those curves are 30MPH and sometimes 15MPH sometimes you have to downshift.

spent about 7 dollars on tolls on the way back. I was like YO! what's up! how you doing!!! :sifone:

Flat :banana:

going to the beach was pretty cool, last time i went to the beach was 6 years ago or so

I was planning to stop every 300 miles on the way there, but on the way back i stopped every 150 miles, I was so tired. next time I will bring the cooler and fill it up with drinks and bring snacks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.