Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, and Happy Thanksgiving...!!! I'm back w/ just a quick update @ 12K. Basically, I hate my car. I'm in a loaner vehicle because the dealership is swapping out my air vents. 2011 Versa S hatchback, automatic, white with a beige interior, and an automatic transmission. The automatic gets HORRENDOUS fuel economy. I've driven only 100 miles and the needle is already halfway to the halfway mark. My 6 speed drops to the "F" around 120 miles. My car is special, and I average 39 mpg. I maxed out at 42.7 mpg. Anyway, yeah, the auto sucks.

Now, the reason I hate my car... at 12K, it sounds like it's 10 years old. RATTLES EVERYWHERE! Not just like little quiet ones. I'm talking loud and obnoxious! Dash is caving in from the left side, too. And the engine whine/whistling has gotten worse. Dealership said it's normal, and we took a brand new one out for a drive and of course, it made the same noise, so that screwed my case. He said he could take the transmission apart and reassemble it, but warned against it. I agreed. And the new one rattled a little bit, so I'm screwed there too. The service manager basically told me that the car is dirt cheap for a reason. I didn't agree with this statement as my friend's 2009 Yaris has almost no rattles and she's got 27K on it. Oh, the automatic I'm in doesn't make the whistling noise, and when I told the dealer guy, he got annoyed and was like, "well, we took a brand new one out and it made the same noises as your car". My loaner, with only 3K, is also starting to rattle badly.

So basically, I either blast my music, or listen to the absurd levels of rattling/engine whistle. I can't enjoy a quiet commute home from work or whenever I just don't feel like listening to music. It's made life miserable whenever I drive.

Can't wait to ditch this thing in 2-3 years time.

Pros: fuel economy, design, rear legroom

Cons: sh!t build quality, sloppy handling

:banghead:

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On a side note (for anyone that cares), I am doing well post-grad. Got an excellent job with an excellent pay. This means I get to buy a new car a lot sooner than originally planned. I'm pretty pissed because when I bought my Versa, I totally planned on getting a leather interior, some sweet rims, the in-dash 6 CD player, etc.. Now I can't even stand the car. Argh.

Hope everyone is well and to be clear, I am not knocking the Versa. I am knocking MY specific Versa.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You make a great point about dirt cheap/entry level product. They should still be built well! Car makers know this cuz if they don't make it right, someone else will...goodbye repeat customer! My 89 Tercel, 79 Rabbit, 86 Golf, 93 Topaz, 01 Sentra, 08 Versa never rattled [except for appropriate dieselness:D]...all entry level here...and interestingly, these are not bottom-rung elsewhere in the world!

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep.

They've definitely lost my business. The Yaris utilizes horrifically cheap materials (more low grade than the Versa), but at least it's put together with precision. It's pretty disgusting how Nissan can't even take the time to trim the black foam that sticks out from the dash near the windows. I had it on mine, it's on my loaner, and another one in the showroom.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
On a side note (for anyone that cares), I am doing well post-grad. Got an excellent job with an excellent pay. This means I get to buy a new car a lot sooner than originally planned.
Congrats on the new job! Nice to hear some good news. I'm glad my parents pushed me to get more education years ago. Now it's paying off with more opportunities. I hope you get a car that ticks all the boxes and more:yesnod:
IMO, i prefer a slightly used car with some powertrain warranty left. That way someone else eats the depreciation, and usually the bugs get worked out early. With a new car, dearlership/manufacturer support are way more important!
And I've always wanted to try buying out someone's lease thru a site like leasebusters.com
What's on your shopping short list? 08v

·
Registered
189 Posts
The only rattle that I have is at very low throttle and low speeds.

overall I'm very happy with my V.

But on to the school thing, I was set to go to University of Florida out of high school but my father died 2nd semester of my senior year of HS so I stayed at home to help mum out. I ended up pushing school away every year saying 'I will go back next year' ect.

Finally, at the age of 25 I stepped into a class room. I'm a freshman and I'm quite happy that I didn't go right out of high school. I wasn't mature enough then, I'm also working a part time gig (hotel) full time student, and living on my own with a car payment. I do all of this with out help from the government. I'm so proud of myself. I just need to finish with a "c" on my math test next week and I will be on the deans list.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The only rattle that I have is at very low throttle and low speeds.

overall I'm very happy with my V.

But on to the school thing, I was set to go to University of Florida out of high school but my father died 2nd semester of my senior year of HS so I stayed at home to help mum out. I ended up pushing school away every year saying 'I will go back next year' ect.

Finally, at the age of 25 I stepped into a class room. I'm a freshman and I'm quite happy that I didn't go right out of high school. I wasn't mature enough then, I'm also working a part time gig (hotel) full time student, and living on my own with a car payment. I do all of this with out help from the government. I'm so proud of myself. I just need to finish with a "c" on my math test next week and I will be on the deans list.
Mmmmmmmm suddenly i need some Gatorade:D
But seriously...kick butt on that Math next week! Do us proud, keep us up to date!
08v

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Like a few others have mentioned, I hear no rattles or creaks either while driving (unless I'm going over railroad tracks or through construction), and I too am very happy with my Versa. It's doing it's job perfectly by getting me to and from work :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. I personally like loud music, so I dont hear any rattles, but the couple of times I have had the radio off it has been quiet with no rattles. Even wind noise is really not that bad compared to most small cars. As far as the yaris, I am a toyota lover 4 life, but the yaris didnt fit a 250lb 6'3 person, and the camry was not big enough height wise, and the corolla was prolly good, but I got my leg room out of the versa. I really havent had any problems. Its been almost 2yrs, with 11,000 miles. The ECU was replaced, and the drivers side door panel was replaced. The engine does seem to whine a little in the cold weather, but its still fine. Other then that, its been fine. I also have taken the interior apart like a 100 times, so if anything that it should rattle, but it dosent. I really want a new car, but maybe I should wait and hold on to this one, cause I got 2 more payments and its payed for. I came from a 2000 toyota camry LE, and there is a big difference and this should be taken into consideration, and it was. Im sorry for the trouble it has caused you. Most people would not keep a car like the versa. Its made to be driven from point A to B, and traded in every 3-5 years. Thats the point of them. Ive thought about trading mine in for an altima, but Ill keep this cause of all the mods ive done and cause its gonna be payed for, and look into a used 3.5 altima or used Tacoma V6 4x4 double cab. Not sure yet. But I wish you luck, and hope things get better. If it helps, Since the cold weather Ive been averaging 20-21mpgs. So youre not the only one, but it really dosent bother me. As long as I know its cause of the cold weather.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rattlers

Before I bought my 09 SL in Aug. 09 I looked at reviews. the one review I saw alot was people mentioned it had rattles. edmunds....consumer report.. owners reviews same thing.
I agree it can be annoying but on other hand i drive 99% of time with music playing.

started rattling before it had 4,000 miles.
such is life.
mile also has black fabric sticking out, and one place on head liner were fabric is torn? undone?

such is life.

when I test drove a 09 VW rabbit this week VW offered me $10,000 for my loaded 09 Versa 1.8 SL. I owe alot more than that. Odd how it lost so much value. like $10,000, in 15 months..

could be worse. it is a sweet car. like all things, it has.... quirks.. not blemishes.. quirks.. give your versa a hug.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.