Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Versa back today from the dealer, The rattling noise I've heard since new isn't getting any better. They did a cylinder balance test and told me cylinder #2 is bad so its getting a new shortblock! Sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come with this car...

Any other HR16 folks having any odd noises at low rpm? Mine gets worse as it gets warm so definitely not your typical cold start piston slap or rattle.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The HR is the more reliable engine, most failures come from the MR18. It's strange that your HR has issues, but I have read a few things about the new sedan having problems. Keep us updated on the fix.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
The hr was slightly redesigned for the new models. I too hope it's not a lemon because as stated earlier it use to be quite a reliable engine. My 1st generation HR is at 118k miles and is very quiet. Even cold it is and warm you can not even tell it's on hardly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear that its reliable, I seen where its a joint venture with Nissan and Renault? Hope mines just a bad egg, damn I hate having a new car molested by some wet-behind the ears tech...

·
Administrator
5,024 Posts
Mine has a noise as well, sounds like a rattle in the valve train. I hear it the most in 2nd gear around 2-2,300 rpms. My motor also has head gasket seepage with 47k miles on a 2007 SL. I'm pretty disappointed in these MR/HR series engines. Nissan should have stuck with the QG18 if they wanted a 1.8 for the Versa/Cube. That motor was solid. The QR25 has had its issues in the SpecV's though. I plan on driving it until it quits. Ive made road trips without any problems numerous times.

I don't like that Nissan went to Renault for these engines. I guess everyone is looking to save money these days even auto manufacturers... though the miss the days of the SR motors.

Next car I buy won't be a nissan thats all I know: looking into mazda, toyota, or honda for my next car.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Next car I buy won't be a nissan thats all I know: looking into mazda, toyota, or honda for my next car.
That's sad to hear and the worst part is that Nissan's venture with Renault to save money will drive potential and even long time Nissan buyers away. I've been a Nissan guys since I could remember and luckily my MR18 has yet to fail but my cousin's MR20 has failed on her twice already. I'm with you on not buying another Nissan if this Versa fails before 100k miles.

·
Registered
993 Posts
If I have engine failure at or before 100k I'm gonna swap the engine, probably a MR20. I plan on keeping the car for some time, until the price to keep it running exceeds its worth.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
We all like to blame the renault deal on nissan being a failure of a company. Truth is the deal saved nissan from bankrupcy and turned them in a profitable company. Nissan has never been as successful as they are right now. If we blame anyone for anything it should be us for not buying nissans new off the lot when they made "good" vehicles.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That’s a shame to hear, my 2013 only has 2100 miles and makes the usual timing chain ticking that’s about it so far. I’ll definitely keep my ears open for any other unusual noises.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
man that sucks...hope they fix it and fix it right.

I'm at 122,800 miles, but its the MR18 with the tick at cold start, but it goes away once is warms up.

I'm planning on keeping her as long as she takes me from point A to point B.

Peace!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: Got her back, sounds perfectly normal now :) Hope it stays that way. The dealer gave me a fully loaded SL while mine was being repaired and man was that sweet! Navigation, power everything and the CVT trans was really neat!

·
Registered
302 Posts
UPDATE: Got her back, sounds perfectly normal now :) Hope it stays that way. The dealer gave me a fully loaded SL while mine was being repaired and man was that sweet! Navigation, power everything and the CVT trans was really neat!
Congrats on getting the car back!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far so good just for those that were worried. Hopefully my Hr16 was just a bad apple and not a common occurrence here. The dealer did a fine job with the R&R, cant tell he was even in there and I'm picky!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.