Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran the Note down to 1 bar (it took 10.3 gals), after I filled up the distance to empty (DTE) didn't instantly jump up to account for full load of fuel. It was slowly creeping up as I drove the mile home from gas station. Used to have this problem with our 06 Xterra, if DTE went to dashes, the DTE would take a while to properly calculated. You would be driving along and your DTE would keep jumping up.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I ran the Note down to 1 bar (it took 10.3 gals), after I filled up the distance to empty (DTE) didn't instantly jump up to account for full load of fuel. It was slowly creeping up as I drove the mile home from gas station. Used to have this problem with our 06 Xterra, if DTE went to dashes, the DTE would take a while to properly calculated. You would be driving along and your DTE would keep jumping up.
Normal behavior if you let the dte go to dashes, mine does the same thing if I let it get to that but if I fill up when it says I have around 20 miles to empty it goes back up instantly when I fill up

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know it's not just mine, but figured they would have addressed this since this was an issue with older Nissan, oh well.

Note-ified, Does you DTE drop pretty quickly once you get under 60 til empty?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Good to know it's not just mine, but figured they would have addressed this since this was an issue with older Nissan, oh well.

Note-ified, Does you DTE drop pretty quickly once you get under 60 til empty?
Not noticeably but it depends on what type of driving I'm doing, more aggressive driving always makes mine drop faster and as far as nissan fixing it it is not just an issue with their cars as I had a Chevy cobalt that did the same thing

·
Registered
527 Posts
Good to know it's not just mine, but figured they would have addressed this since this was an issue with older Nissan, oh well. .....
PP, OEMs typically use a filtered averaging routine for calculating things like DTE and Average FE that is why you should not expect it to "jump up" after a fuel fill. The software routine wants to make sure the fuel tank reading is accurate over a time period before calling it good.

DTE is sensitive information to give to the customers. The OEM wants to give as accurate information as possible so there is no chance to leave the customer stranded, also making sure any calculation error is on the safe side.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PP, OEMs typically use a filtered averaging routine for calculating things like DTE and Average FE that is why you should not expect it to "jump up" after a fuel fill. The software routine wants to make sure the fuel tank reading is accurate over a time period before calling it good.

DTE is sensitive information to give to the customers. The OEM wants to give as accurate information as possible so there is no chance to leave the customer stranded, also making sure any calculation error is on the safe side.
Jas32, I understand the time filtering function that they use. What is interesting, is once you get the DTE to "dashes" the routine behaves differently than when you fill it prior to DTE getting to dashes. It is slower to recalculate when you get to dashes, but jumps up when filling before dashes. From my previous experience with evaporative emissions leak detection logic, I know that the tank being really full or really empty can be the most difficult condition to deal with. That may be the answer, since the DTE has been give zeros for a period of time which makes the time filtering function more apparent. I might have answered my own question as I'm typing this. It's not a concern, just something I find interesting.

On average FE, that's not an issue since I reset on every fill-up.

Agree on DTE being sensitive, this get's into the whole question of fuel tank size vs. use-able fuel tank. I actually try to fill between 75%-90% empty, but it's the wife's car and she's known to push the edge of the envelope.

·
Registered
527 Posts
PP, I have not run my Note down to the dashes (I always fill up a 1/4 tank or thereabouts. Maybe I'll do that just for grins.

I have a feeling they erase all stored values whenever it displays the dashes (basically start from zero), that is probably why it takes longer to work again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.