Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty happy, 36.4 MPG (hand calculated, 80% Highway/20% City). I've only done it for the last three fill-ups, I have compared what car displayed to what I calculated - the display reads 7.8%-8.2% high (saying the car is getting better mileage than it actually does).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Pretty happy, 36.4 MPG (hand calculated, 80% Highway/20% City). I've only done it for the last three fill-ups, I have compared what car displayed to what I calculated - the display reads 7.8%-8.2% high (saying the car is getting better mileage than it actually does).
Mines usually a little more accurate, within 2mpg most of the time but yes it does read a little higher than what I actually get

·
Registered
527 Posts
...... I have compared what car displayed to what I calculated - the display reads 7.8%-8.2% high (saying the car is getting better mileage than it actually does).
..... but yes it does read a little higher than what I actually get
OEMs always wants to err on the high side, as a good majority of the owners never hand calculate their fuel consumption but solely rely on the display. Makes the owners feel good as well. In reality, there is really no good reason to err on the low side.

Similar strategy on mechanical wrist watches, which are designed to be right on or slightly fast. He/she will be on-time or maybe slightly early, but not late!

BTW, Now that I use AC a lot, I observed a noticeable a drop in FE of about 1-2 MPG.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jas32, Agreed, plus the easiest way to to do fuel economy is off injector pulse width which is always going to give you a best-case result. Further, my Note is still low miles so some break-in might be occurring.

I have seen the same thing on fuel economy now that A/C usage has gone up, 2-3 mpg hit.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Jas32, Agreed, plus the easiest way to to do fuel economy is off injector pulse width which is always going to give you a best-case result. Further, my Note is still low miles so some break-in might be occurring.

I have seen the same thing on fuel economy now that A/C usage has gone up, 2-3 mpg hit.
keep in mind that alot of Nissans engines get better as they age...all of the now 4 nissans i've had, the engines actually perform better once they get beyond the 10,000 mile mark, that is if you're not one of the unlucky one's to get one that doesnt have a problem with the engine at some point which it seems like the HR16DE has been a pretty reliable engine so far judging by this forum

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
keep in mind that alot of Nissans engines get better as they age...all of the now 4 nissans i've had, the engines actually perform better once they get beyond the 10,000 mile mark, that is if you're not one of the unlucky one's to get one that doesnt have a problem with the engine at some point which it seems like the HR16DE has been a pretty reliable engine so far judging by this forum
Jas32, this is our 3rd Nissan, and yeah I expect it to keep getting better til 10K. Although A/C usage will probably keep it down for the next couple of months. I'm happy with the mileage for a fresh engine. I'll be curious to see if the display get's more accurate as the drivetrain breaks in, don't really care but fun to track.

·
Registered
527 Posts
keep in mind that alot of Nissans engines get better as they age...all of the now 4 nissans i've had, the engines actually perform better once they get beyond the 10,000 mile mark, ..........
Jas32, this is our 3rd Nissan, and yeah I expect it to keep getting better til 10K. Although A/C usage will probably keep it down for the next couple of months. I'm happy with the mileage for a fresh engine. I'll be curious to see if the display get's more accurate as the drivetrain breaks in, don't really care but fun to track.
PP, Note-ified posted the quote above which I am also hoping is correct. This is my first Nissan so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Yes AC usage is definitely hurting FE significantly (around 2 MPG right now with approx 70-80F ambients).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.