Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I'm planning to get some 15 inch enkei j10's and kuhmo cheapo tires to replace my stock wheels. I was thinking about the 17's but would definitely like to save the few hundred extra and possibly drop the suspension myself to get a similar look? Any suggestions on whether the 17's are worth it or if dropping the car is harder than i'm anticipating would be great. Just joined the forums, and looking to learn a lot!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the car is a metallic gray and the wheels are black with a chrome machined lip, and lowering it first sadly isn't an option at this point. My rear left rim has a slow leak in the tire, my tires are due for replacing, and I will be replacing the shocks, struts, and brake pads with my dad in early august (was planning to lower it then)

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Thats understandable. In that case I'd get the wheels 1st.

My plan is to lower it 1st, then get the wheels I actually want. I have factory SLs but that's just get away from steelies(I have a base model).

Is it a sedan or hatch?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's a hatchback, but ya, i've been riding with the steelies for a while and now seemed like a good time to upgrade. Would you happen to have any insight on the difference between a 17 or 15 inch rim? I've heard the bigger the rim, you have more traction on dry pavement but less on wet or snowy. If this is true, the 15 would be the smarter decision for me as i live in michigan

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Its the width of the wheel, not the circumferance that make a difference. Here are a few things to know:
1. Bigger wheels=slimmer tires. Slimmer tires=harsher ride
2. WIDER wheels do worse in snow and will supposedly hydroplane worse
3. Bigger wheels are heavier (only bad if your looking for performance.)

Of course, the above are not always true. I have 17x7 wheels for my summer tires and the stock steelies (15x5.5) for my snow tires. If I put the same snow tires on my 17's as I have on my 15's I have no doubt that the 15's would perform better. However, its also partly the tire that is at work and not the wheels. My old stock conti's were terrible in the rain, but my new nexen tires are just great even though they are wider. Hope this could help!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Also, I forgot to add, yes. If you have wider wheels you will have better dry traction, but again this is not solely dependent on the wheels. Traction is the tires job.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Very true! ^

I hated the stock tires, the car slipped in the rain! Can't imagine ever using those in the snow!
I've done it. Last year we had a freak storm in mid april and I had switched my tires already. It was a PITA. I might as well have been running slicks for all the good they did me.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I hated the stock contis but I love these new tires I have they are Goodyear Eagle GT's and the size I have them in are 205-60-r15 they are great on dry roads and I have never felt such a good tire on wet road I have yet to have any problems with hydroplaning even when I drive quickly in poring down rain. I have never had them on snow yet though.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
^good to know cuz my mechanic is a Goodyear distributor too:) i've been curious about the Eagle GTs..thinking of 195-60s

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I've never driven on snow but I've had my 15s for close to 2 years(originally had 14s) and love them. I got wider tires last year so those help too. I went from 185-65-15 to 205-60-15.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
my Nexen's never hydroplane. and we've had some torrential downpours this summer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.