Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for thanksgiving weekend the family piled into the Versa and drove 450 miles or so to Maryland. Mountainous terrain was no problem I was surprised to find out. Cruise on, 70 up, 70 down. Didn't have to downshift once, I figured she would struggle from what I had read on some the CVT owner comments. But I digress...

After the trip there, the car was parked for ~72 hours. Jumped in, gave it the customary two turns of the ignition, and nothing. Huh? Grind on the starter a bit... Nothing. Try again, this time about 8-10 cranks of ignition, and it sputters ever so slightly. Try again, pedal pushed maybe 25% and she roared to life with a smell of fuel in the cabin. Driven daily after that, with the return trip completed problem free. I will say the 1st start after the return trip, it ran rough for just a second but cleared right up and drove fine.

Question being, am I showing the 1st symptom of the FPR problem, or is this something potentially more serious.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
what year is your versa?

ya you might have to go in for the fuel pump recall

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'09 6-speed. I think I fall into the end of the recall period.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Mine does it every once in a great while. Total of 3 times now in the 51k miles I have driven the car. Hope the problem doesn't get serious but I think you will be like me and just fine. Just an odd once in awhile no start. I always get it going anyway so no big deal.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are under warranty still ask them to replace the FPR just to be on the safe side. That's what I did.
I think I will, it makes me kind of salty to think that I have a newer, well maintained vehicle and I could potentially put up with it not starting every once in awhile.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
how's the weather where you live?

mine (2007 74,300 miles) is still parked on my driveway since....Friday Night so...[saturday night] [sunday night] that's 48hrs and I'm off today [monday night] that's 72hr so if I don't start the car until tomorrow it would be 80+ hours with out starting the car. temperatures are in the low 50s during the day and 30s at night and cold weather kills batteries no matter what car you drive

I think I better go and start my car just to see if it starts :thumbsup:
it is cold and windy outside its 47F but it feels like 39F @12MPH wind BRRRR

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
it started fine after around 60 hours :cheers2:
I use midgrade fuel 89 octane

you should take yours in, maybe the computer detected something but its not showing on the dash yet

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I think I will, it makes me kind of salty to think that I have a newer, well maintained vehicle and I could potentially put up with it not starting every once in awhile.
Yeah might as well get it fixed. Mine did the same thing within the first year, my dad noticed it, so we got it fixed last year. I can go days without starting the car and it always starts up fine now. That's what the warranty is for :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
"Mountainous terrain" would indicate that you changed your elevation? Just thinking that pressure might have somethin' to do with it.

Another thought:

The car I had before the Versa was an '04 Sentra SPEC-V. That car was hard to start from time to time and finally a coil pack crapped out, #3. Then maybe six months later, another coil pack, again #3.

I read somewhere about bad grounding to the engine block being a possible cause, so I installed my own "ground kit" and didn't have another problem up 'till I traded her in for the V.

So.......I added a ground kit while installing my sound system on the V just for good measure.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The car I had before the Versa was an '04 Sentra SPEC-V. .....I added a ground kit while installing my sound system on the V just for good measure.
That sounds painful, going from Vspec to V.
You need the mr20 swap!:ihih:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took it in, of course dealer was not able to replicate issue. No codes were thrown, they showed me the paperwork. (It even had the code when the tpms light went on for 2 minutes on my road trip) They said wait until it happens again, don't grind till it starts, and have it towed in. Then basically thanked me for wasting their time as they ushered me out the door, even after a very knowledgeable query as to whether or not it may do with the fuel pump. I'm feeling kind of slighted, but because the car didn't record the issue I'm not sure I have the ground to stand on and fight it. I really don;t want to wait for my car to be unusable before the problem gets fixed.:confused5:

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
There is a test procedure that must be followed for them to replace the fuel pressure regulator. If I recall correctly the car must sit for a while and they test the pressure in the line. If it's less then xxpsi then they replace the fuel pressure regulator.

You don't really have any ground to stand on if they did what they were suppose to and found no problem.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Then basically thanked me for wasting their time as they ushered me out the door, even after a very knowledgeable query as to whether or not it may do with the fuel pump. :confused5:
Not a waste of time, if mine did the same and it was under factory warranty I would be all over it like white on rice. if the car doesn't want to start again, take it back but I would go to a different Nissan dealer to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The other dealer around here is even shiftier than these guys this particular visit. Up till now the service had been nothing but stellar, and I would still recommend them. They have replaced several things I have broken under warranty, most recently a stripped back wiper. Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Thread hijack: Ashley, did you see they are bringing back the NB? I think in 2012 or 13. Oprah gave some away the other day, or so I heard.:jumping:

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Thread hijack: Ashley, did you see they are bringing back the NB? I think in 2012 or 13. Oprah gave some away the other day, or so I heard.:jumping:
Yes I visit the NB forums regularly. The drawings though of the "new" NB have not been the nicest. I still want a Cabrio though; and they have not mentioned yet if they will be available in a cabrio. I will just have to wait and see what they come up with. It would be nicer to buy a new one and keep it mint then buy a used one. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Clean the battery terminals? I just cleaned them, no corrosion at all, just preventive maintenance :)
I apply petroleum jelley to my terminals. Keeps them clean for awhile and makes good contacts. No corrosion forms on my terminals ever.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.