Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was reading that infiniti makes a G25 now. It has a 2.5 V6 that does 218HP. So my question to you guys is, what is the main difference between altima 2.5 and infiniti 2.5 V6? and why would you make 2 different 2.5's like that? I dont think I like or trust a V6 under 3.0. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Maybe the v6 makes more low end torque than its I4 counterpart? I too find it hard to trust that small of a displacemnt in a v6. Its got a slightly lower displacement per cyllinder than the versas 1.8. Its .41 to .45. Also, I thought the g25 did use an I4?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
257 Posts
v6's tend to run more smoothly because you have more of a curve when you look at the combustion impulses. If you were to think of a sin wave you can cut it up into six sections to represent each combustion. With a 4 banger you can only cut that up four times. You get a better curve fit with 6 combustions than you do with 4.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
makes sense. And i checked the engine out after I wrote the post. I'd go for the G36 and just skip over the 2.5 if it was me :)

·
Banned
342 Posts
the vq25 is a very high revving v6. It is a cool motor. Just the g car is too heavy. It accelerates like a versa. lol. i took one home for a weekend when my engine swap was being done

·
Registered
993 Posts
So I was reading that infiniti makes a G25 now. It has a 2.5 V6 that does 218HP. So my question to you guys is, what is the main difference between altima 2.5 and infiniti 2.5 V6? and why would you make 2 different 2.5's like that? I dont think I like or trust a V6 under 3.0. What do you guys think?
The skyline gtr has a 2.8 liter inline 6. Do you not trust the rb line?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I personally think 2.5 is too small of a displacement for a V6. If im gonna have a V6, espically in todays world, it should be a 3.0 or higher. I can see the engines potential, of what it would be desgined for, but if your gonna spend over 30K on an infiniti, why the 2.5? The 3.5 isnt but like $1000 more. I just dont like the hole thing period. Infiniti and 2.5 engine. 2.5 turbo would produce more hp I would think, but I guess because its an infiniti it needs to be smooth, so a V6 would do.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm guessing they are doing it to be in competition with 3 series BMW's... they have 3 current engine choices, one of which being a 2.5 6.

·
Registered
257 Posts
im sure its also got something to do with milage. you get the smoothness of a six and the fuel economy of the 2.5 lt 4 banger.

Do you think we could shoe horn the 2.5 lt v6 into a versa? that would be a cool project to see

·
Registered
330 Posts
Probably the same engine mounting as the 3.5. Not to say that the I4 is different. Infiniti probably likes the V6 differentiation maybe. I don't know but the engine is lighter and burns less gas and some engineering differences might be a reason. Does the 3.5 have variable timing. I bet this new one does. Also, The CVT might work better with lower performance engines but I am guessing.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
im sure its also got something to do with milage. you get the smoothness of a six and the fuel economy of the 2.5 lt 4 banger.

Do you think we could shoe horn the 2.5 lt v6 into a versa? that would be a cool project to see
I'm guessing the 2.5 6 will be longitudinally mounted? (assuming of course that the infinity is rwd) but the engine in a versa is transversely mounted. might make a bit of a difference, as I doubt the existing versa transmission will work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts