Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all We live here in Arizona and right now the temp outside is 115 degs I have a 20 Versa with 38K miles and notice when its Hot out I get the smell of fuel while driving especially when i have my drivers window open like 2 inches (AC is ON) and I did narrow it down to the back of the car by the vapor canister after I stopped in my driveway for a bit! Whats funny is when i drive in the Morning the temps are in the 80s I never smell the gas fumes--Only when it over 110 degs out! Car runs 100% no check engine light and it happens if the fuel tank is full or 1/4 full--but only when its in the 100 teens outside! I took a look under the left rear behind wheel and looking at all the canister hoses everything looked 100% I was under there with a bright light--didnt see any cracks or hoses off--which I would think if that were the case my check engine light would have come on! Any ideas Its only 2 years old 38K I can simply bring it to the dealer but I dont mid fixing this if anyone can give me a hint where to look! Thank you all Have a great Weekend! Mark

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mark- the fuel in your gas tank may be expanding due to the hot temperatures. You can try pulling the rear seat and cushions to examine the top of the tank. It could be a leak or broken seal, but that's likely where the odor is coming from. You may not want to do all that, but there's your hint.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark- the fuel in your gas tank may be expanding due to the hot temperatures. You can try pulling the rear seat and cushions to examine the top of the tank. It could be a leak or broken seal, but that's likely where the odor is coming from. You may not want to do all that, but there's your hint.
Thank you! As i did say It doesnt make a difference if the tank is 1/4 or full I never smell the gas when driving when the windows are closed only when i open the window a little and i am moving in 115 degs temps-- I can check under the seats it wont hurt to look! Also when it only in the 80s I never smell anything! Strange! Thank you!!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
206 Posts
I also live in Arizona and yes... it is 115 degrees, today.
I have a 2016 Versa and no fumes or smells of gasoline.
Have you asked the dealer if maybe this could be covered under warranty?? I know you are 2,000 miles over the base warranty of 3 years/36,000 miles, but they might cover it as a courtesy, since the car is only 2 years old. (might be worth a phone call)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also live in Arizona and yes... it is 115 degrees, today.
I have a 2016 Versa and no fumes or smells of gasoline.
Have you asked the dealer if maybe this could be covered under warranty?? I know you are 2,000 miles over the base warranty of 3 years/36,000 miles, but they might cover it as a courtesy, since the car is only 2 years old. (might be worth a phone call)
Yeah I ll give them a call just to see! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Look into the warranty booklet and supplement for your 2020 Versa. Some emission parts could be covered under longer warranty.
For example, 2017 Versa has a warranty information booklet supplement that extends the warranty for the Vapor Vent Tube connecting the fuel tank to the evaporative emission canister for vehicles sold in USA and Canada to 15 years or 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look into the warranty booklet and supplement for your 2020 Versa. Some emission parts could be covered under longer warranty.
For example, 2017 Versa has a warranty information booklet supplement that extends the warranty for the Vapor Vent Tube connecting the fuel tank to the evaporative emission canister for vehicles sold in USA and Canada to 15 years or 150,000 miles.
Ok thank you!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
You shouldn't ever smell gas. While driving is odd too. A lot of gas caps have a two way vent where it will release under too much vacuum or too much pressure. It would be interesting to see what the fuel tank pressure sensor is showing when this occurs. If it doesn't happen often enough, you won't get a check engine light. There could be a code stored though. That's your next step.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You shouldn't ever smell gas. While driving is odd too. A lot of gas caps have a two way vent where it will release under too much vacuum or too much pressure. It would be interesting to see what the fuel tank pressure sensor is showing when this occurs. If it doesn't happen often enough, you won't get a check engine light. There could be a code stored though. That's your next step.
Ok Thank you!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a follow up went to dealer They checked everything no mil light no lose hoses gas cap replaced gas tank and sending unit clean dry perfect filler tube good--But when you are driving in 110 115 deg heat when the ac on windows shut you dont smell anything When you open the drivers window a little while driving you begin to smell fuel! Not Exh but gas! Its not BAD but i do smell it! No codes No mil light 2020 Veresa low Milage 38K Happens with fuel tamk Full or 1/4 full! Just strange!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Searching online, it seems there are many possible reasons for smelling gas while driving, and it considered to be unsafe condition. You better elevate the issue with Nissan, probably starting with a Nissan zone representative (or whatever is the title of this position).
The good thing this issue is recorded, and it was recreated and confirmed at the dealership.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It's very odd that you can smell it with the window down while driving. It would have to be coming from the front then, but it would have to be leaking somewhere for it to be that strong. Any leaks in the evap system would set a code, especially one that large.

If they reproduced it, they should be able to stick with it and figure it out. Especially under warranty I'd bring it back, but just let them know you're uncomfortable with it. You'll get further if you don't go ballistic.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Is this a versa sedan? The evap canister is underneath at the left rear corner of the vehicle if I remember correctly and there is a ton of room around it. I'd sniff around that area. I wonder if the carbon in the canister is saturated with fuel and some is somehow leaking externally?

I'm sure there's cabin vent flaps somewhere on the vehicle body around the rear corners as well. I'm thinking vapors are getting drawn into the cabin somehow/somewhere from the vapor canister. It's apparently not effecting fuel tank pressure as that will set a code right away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is this a versa sedan? The evap canister is underneath at the left rear corner of the vehicle if I remember correctly and there is a ton of room around it. I'd sniff around that area. I wonder if the carbon in the canister is saturated with fuel and some is somehow leaking externally?

I'm sure there's cabin vent flaps somewhere on the vehicle body around the rear corners as well. I'm thinking vapors are getting drawn into the cabin somehow/somewhere from the vapor canister. It's apparently not effecting fuel tank pressure as that will set a code right away.
Yeah its so strange! Took to Dealer They went over everything no codes no leaks Period! Checked Canister thoroughly I was there watching--all hoses lines are clean and dry.. On a Hot day I start off with AC on windows closed no Issues I can drive non stop no smell of fuel If I open my drivers window 2 inches while AC is on and driving I begin to smell gas--The smell isnt coming from the vents the engine compartment is clean dry and no smell ever! The dealer told me they cant just start changing things out when everything appears to working fine.. Nissan wont Warranty a good part! NO MIL I even changed the fuel cap it was inexpensive! Just strange! BTW sometimes when i park in my garage which here in AZ is over 100 degs a few hours later If i were to come into the Garage from the house I would smell that fuel again--BUT when i sniff around the Evap gas cap Engine area i smell nothing! I personally think Heat has something to do with it but who knows!! Didnt smell this back when temps were in the 80s and 90s We get 110 to 118 degs here thats when I smell it! Full tank or 1/4 tank doesnt make a difference! Mind - Boggling!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts