Nissan Versa Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
211 Posts
This probably isn't your problem, but it might be worth a phone call to the dealership.

A few months after I got my 2016 Versa, there was a recall for residents of AZ and New Mexico. Nissan issued a software change for residents of those two states. When I asked the service manager about it, he said it had to do with the heat we experienced in the desert. I have no idea if the change affected the cooling fans or when/how the Evap system open/closed or some other system entirely. I do know that residents of those two states have this software update. You may want to ask if there are any software updates for your car.
My theory is... because you are only smelling gasoline fumes during extreme temperatures and the dealership can find no malfunctioning parts, maybe the Evap system isn't opening and closing at the right times (during those 115+ days)??

It's a long shot, but again... might be worth a phone call.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This probably isn't your problem, but it might be worth a phone call to the dealership.

A few months after I got my 2016 Versa, there was a recall for residents of AZ and New Mexico. Nissan issued a software change for residents of those two states. When I asked the service manager about it, he said it had to do with the heat we experienced in the desert. I have no idea if the change affected the cooling fans or when/how the Evap system open/closed or some other system entirely. I do know that residents of those two states have this software update. You may want to ask if there are any software updates for your car.
My theory is... because you are only smelling gasoline fumes during extreme temperatures and the dealership can find no malfunctioning parts, maybe the Evap system isn't opening and closing at the right times (during those 115+ days)??

It's a long shot, but again... might be worth a phone call.
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hello All and Thnak you for your input I have been to the dealer they find Nothing wrong and wont change anything that doesnt show up bad-No MIL light car runs 100% I took rear seat out checked all lines and seals everything was dry and clean--What I did notice today It was only 91 for a high here so I started off driving with the DS window down and AC off I even filled up my gas tank--NOT A SCENT of gas smell! The only time I get the smell of fuel is when the AC is on its 100 degs out and I open my window about 2 inches Then i begin to smell gas! Just insane! NO TSBs no recalls no MIL no leaks! The smell IS NOT COMING FROM THE AC VENTS and the smell isnt inside the car! My question is Why only when the AC is on and only when the window is open say 2 inches? If the window is closed with AC on in 110 degs heat I smell nothing! Just insane!

·
Registered
673 Posts
So when it is hot (above 90-100 degs) and A/C is on, you have a gas smell from outside of the car. To make a positive correlation between smell and what leads to it, you need to do a couple tests to brake it down:
1. Turn on A/C when it is not that hot (like 70...80-ish). Drive for a while and check for the smell from outside
2. Do not turn on your A/C when it is really hot (100 and above). Again check for the smell.

See what in particular leads to a gas smell: the A/C, or high temperature, or the combination of both.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So when it is hot (above 90-100 degs) and A/C is on, you have a gas smell from outside of the car. To make a positive correlation between smell and what leads to it, you need to do a couple tests to brake it down:
1. Turn on A/C when it is not that hot (like 70...80-ish). Drive for a while and check for the smell from outside
2. Do not turn on your A/C when it is really hot (100 and above). Again check for the smell.

See what in particular leads to a gas smell: the A/C, or high temperature, or the combination of both.
Did the tests you just mentioned.. When the AC is on at any temp 85 or 115 deg outside Zero smell of gas ONLY WHEN I OPEN THE DS WINDOW 2 INCHES while driving and ac is on do i smell the gas! 85 degs or 115 Degs window open AC OFF driving around NO SMELL of Gas! Fuel smell is not coming from AC Vents or inside the car!

·
Registered
673 Posts
So the smell has nothing to do with the outside temperature itself, and is positively linked to the A/C and opened 2" DS window.

Now try to variate the part about the window. With the A/C on, try to variate the other 3 windows beside DS. You may need another person in your car for assistance.

And what about that magical 2" window opening? Does it smell with a different number of inches?

When you do your testing, do not mix its parameters, have a plan and be consistent. For example, make a test only for different windows (front, back, DS, PS). Then do a different test just for windows openings. So change only one variable at a time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just thinking out loud here... So when you turn on the A/C you are putting a load on the engine (asking it to do more work - run the compressor for the A/C) and the computer in the car probably compensates for that extra load by adding more fuel to the equation. That extra fuel is not getting burned and is being vented towards the front of the car and seeping inside the vehicle when the driver's window is down.
I have two more ideas.
(1) Check all of the hoses supplying fuel up to front area of the car. Under extreme heat, the fuel has more pressure, and possibly raw fuel is leaking around a hose connection, but only when the temperature is 115 degrees and only when the computer is asking for more fuel to run the compressor (extra load).
(2) I'm usually not a fan of firing the "parts cannon" at a vehicle, but I might replace the PCV valve, hoses, hose clamps, etc.
As for the temperature being a factor in the equation, hotter fuel is going to be under more pressure and maybe causing the PCV valve or PCV hoses to not hold properly and fumes are escaping??
Again, this is just another guess on my part.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So the smell has nothing to do with the outside temperature itself, and is positively linked to the A/C and opened 2" DS window.

Now try to variate the part about the window. With the A/C on, try to variate the other 3 windows beside DS. You may need another person in your car for assistance.

And what about that magical 2" window opening? Does it smell with a different number of inches?

When you do your testing, do not mix its parameters, have a plan and be consistent. For example, make a test only for different windows (front, back, DS, PS). Then do a different test just for windows openings. So change only one variable at a time.
Hello Yes Did your Test only smell the Fuel when DS window is open 2 inches or LS Pass window is open 2 inches with AC ON! AC off no fuel smell either window!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just thinking out loud here... So when you turn on the A/C you are putting a load on the engine (asking it to do more work - run the compressor for the A/C) and the computer in the car probably compensates for that extra load by adding more fuel to the equation. That extra fuel is not getting burned and is being vented towards the front of the car and seeping inside the vehicle when the driver's window is down.
I have two more ideas.
(1) Check all of the hoses supplying fuel up to front area of the car. Under extreme heat, the fuel has more pressure, and possibly raw fuel is leaking around a hose connection, but only when the temperature is 115 degrees and only when the computer is asking for more fuel to run the compressor (extra load).
(2) I'm usually not a fan of firing the "parts cannon" at a vehicle, but I might replace the PCV valve, hoses, hose clamps, etc.
As for the temperature being a factor in the equation, hotter fuel is going to be under more pressure and maybe causing the PCV valve or PCV hoses to not hold properly and fumes are escaping??
Again, this is just another guess on my part.
Ok Thank you!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Lets sum it up what is known so far: There is outside gas smell detectable ONLY from the driver side front and rear windows, and ONLY when the A/C is on. Outside temperature itself does not have any effect on the gas smell.

Now, what about those windows being open 2 inches? What is so specific about this magical number? What changes if windows are down less than 2 inches, like 1 inch. Or more than 2 inches, like 3-4 or more? Just trying to cover all bases.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Lets sum it up what is known so far: There is outside gas smell detectable ONLY from the driver side front and rear windows, and ONLY when the A/C is on. Outside temperature itself does not have any effect on the gas smell.

Now, what about those windows being open 2 inches? What is so specific about this magical number? What changes if windows are down less than 2 inches, like 1 inch. Or more than 2 inches, like 3-4 or more? Just trying to cover all bases.
If the windows are Open all the way (With AC on) gas smell! If windows are closed completly (with ac on) No smell!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm really thinking you are leaking/venting raw fuel somewhere along the supply to the injectors. When the fuel gets hot, it is under more pressure, when you turn on the A/C you are putting a load on the engine and thus the computer is supplying more fuel and a combination of those two causes a leak somewhere along the supply. You smell that raw fuel, when you open your window. Again, this is just a guess.

Would you be willing to add a dye to your gasoline to attempt to find a possible leak?? There is a UV dye for gasoline that aids you in finding a leak. You will need a UV light, as well.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts