Nissan Versa Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
As @Desert Rodent mentioned, A/C adds a loan on the engine. Would you try to place as much load on the engine WITHOUT having A/C on? Like turn on high beams, and turn on the rear window electrical defroster, and if you have locally some place to drive up hill, and maybe limit shifting to the higher gear so that you have higher RPMs (not getting close to the red line of course).
Just try to simulate the A/C load on the engine by other means, with the A/C itself being off.
Of course try to do it in a safe manner, not blinding the upcoming traffic, and not putting yourself and your car at risk.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'm really thinking you are leaking/venting raw fuel somewhere along the supply to the injectors. When the fuel gets hot, it is under more pressure, when you turn on the A/C you are putting a load on the engine and thus the computer is supplying more fuel and a combination of those two causes a leak somewhere along the supply. You smell that raw fuel, when you open your window. Again, this is just a guess.

Would you be willing to add a dye to your gasoline to attempt to find a possible leak?? There is a UV dye for gasoline that aids you in finding a leak. You will need a UV light, as well.
I do smell fuel ds rear wheel when car is off and parked!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
This is the area where EVAP canister, and fuel filler hose and tube are located.
Yes sir! Makes me nuts Thats the area where I smell it when the car is OFF!
NO MIL car runs 100%! Checked the hoses all tight and clean Went under the car with a bright light and looked good SO did the dealer!!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
211 Posts
If the Evap Canister is near the rear of the car, how would you be smelling the fumes while driving down the road (if the Evap canister and/or fill hose were leaking fumes or raw fuel). Wouldn't the air to carry the fumes away from the drivers door (towards the rear of the car - trunk area)??
In theory, the leak would have to be in front of the driver's window and as you move forward the fumes come into the cabin of the car through the driver's open window.
I still think your best bet is to add UV dye to the gasoline and attempt to find the leak. Maybe the dealership would be willing to pay for the dye and UV light?? They did admit they smelled the fumes. I can't believe they are just washing their hands of this problem without doing further testing. "Yes, we smell it... can't find the problem... Good Luck, Bye"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'm really thinking you are leaking/venting raw fuel somewhere along the supply to the injectors. When the fuel gets hot, it is under more pressure, when you turn on the A/C you are putting a load on the engine and thus the computer is supplying more fuel and a combination of those two causes a leak somewhere along the supply. You smell that raw fuel, when you open your window. Again, this is just a guess.

Would you be willing to add a dye to your gasoline to attempt to find a possible leak?? There is a UV dye for gasoline that aids you in finding a leak. You will need a UV light, as well.
The dealer added Dye! No leaks anywhere!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The dealer added Dye! No leaks anywhere!
No Idea whats happening! Maybe when i open the DS Window with AC on it creates a vaacuum and sucks the air from behind NO IDEA! The engine is DRY clean no leaks at all and as I said When the windows are closed AC on no issues! Zero Smell no matter how hot or how long the drive is!

·
Registered
673 Posts
If the Evap Canister is near the rear of the car, how would you be smelling the fumes while driving down the road (if the Evap canister and/or fill hose were leaking fumes or raw fuel). Wouldn't the air to carry the fumes away from the drivers door (towards the rear of the car - trunk area)??
In theory, the leak would have to be in front of the driver's window and as you move forward the fumes come into the cabin of the car through the driver's open window.
Not necessary. The air turbulence around vehicles could work in a funny way. I remember years ago I had an old Nissan 200SX hatchback, that burned a lot of oil. One time I was helping a friend to move a large ladder, so we drived with the hatch door partially opened. Man, it was terrible, the smell of burned oil was so intense, the turbulence around the car was sucking it from the exhaust pipe under and behind the car back inside and straight to the front seats.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You can smell it at idle (Sometimes) However when the car is moving along 40 mph or more you smell the fuel!
So when the car is parked and idling (and A/C is on), sometimes you can smell the gas, but it could be weak. The smell is stronger when you moving at 40 mpg or faster, with A/C on.

Now, would you try to keep the car parked, and raise RPMs to 1,500 - 1,800 (maybe even 2,000) with A/C on? Would the smell of the gas be as strong as when you driving at speed?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
So when the car is parked and idling (and A/C is on), sometimes you can smell the gas, but it could be weak. The smell is stronger when you moving at 40 mpg or faster, with A/C on.

Now, would you try to keep the car parked, and raise RPMs to 1,500 - 1,800 (maybe even 2,000) with A/C on? Would the smell of the gas be as strong as when you driving at speed?
ZERO SMELL when car is in park idling with AC on and windows closed!
The only time i smell fuell is when I am moving with ac on and DS windows open a bit OR when car is OFF and I sniff around DS rear of car then I get a smell!

·
Registered
673 Posts
No Def not Raw Fuel!
So let me get it right, you have detected the gas smell from inside the car ONLY if ALL conditions below are met:
  • the A/C is on, and
  • the car is in motion 40 mph or faster (assuming RPM are 1,500 and above), and
  • the windows on the DS front or back are down a bit (no smell from PS windows);
So only the conditions above cause the gas smell?

Otherwise, if the car is in park, and A/C is on, and RPM are raised like during driving (kept at 1,500 -1,800 RPM), there is NO gas smell from inside with DS windows down, or from outside.

So the car needs moving to have generated gas smell? (I do not mention the case when the car is off and you can smell some remaining gas odor).

Did I get it right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
So let me get it right, you have detected the gas smell from inside the car ONLY if ALL conditions below are met:
  • the A/C is on, and
  • the car is in motion 40 mph or faster (assuming RPM are 1,500 and above), and
  • the windows on the DS front or back are down a bit (no smell from PS windows);
So only the conditions above cause the gas smell?

Otherwise, if the car is in park, and A/C is on, and RPM are raised like during driving (kept at 1,500 -1,800 RPM), there is NO gas smell from inside with DS windows down, or from outside.

So the car needs moving to have generated gas smell? (I do not mention the case when the car is off and you can smell some remaining gas odor).

Did I get it right?
Yes you did 100%! When car is off and parked if i go to the DS rear tire and sniff I do smell the fuel then it slowly fades away!!!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
It seems that the Nissan dealership works with you attempting to resolve this problem. You also did a lot of troubleshooting trying to narrow the problem to specific conditions.
If indeed the smell is generated only when the car is in movement, it would be difficult to reproduce in the shop. I know there is some special equipment for dynamic testing of the vehicles that simulate actual predefined road conditions. I doubt that your Nissan shop has it.
I do not know if your shop uses gasoline leak testers ("sniffers") that can be used to detect remaining gas odor around DS rear tire, but is is also could be used to zero in to the potential leak.
If it is not resolved, you next move would be contacting Nissan zone representative, who has much better access to Nissan resources and even Nissan engineering team, in order to address this problem. After all, it is a safety issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
It seems that the Nissan dealership works with you attempting to resolve this problem. You also did a lot of troubleshooting trying to narrow the problem to specific conditions.
If indeed the smell is generated only when the car is in movement, it would be difficult to reproduce in the shop. I know there is some special equipment for dynamic testing of the vehicles that simulate actual predefined road conditions. I doubt that your Nissan shop has it.
I do not know if your shop uses gasoline leak testers ("sniffers") that can be used to detect remaining gas odor around DS rear tire, but is is also could be used to zero in to the potential leak.
If it is not resolved, you next move would be contacting Nissan zone representative, who has much better access to Nissan resources and even Nissan engineering team, in order to address this problem. After all, it is a safety issue.
Thank you for your input and help! I appreciate you!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts