Nissan Versa Forums banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
You have done great sticking with this. A couple of thoughts. The purge valve won't open at idle. I believe the AC is raising the idle and allowing it to happen. I also believe the vent for the system is in the frame. The vent valve hose goes to a filter, then I believe the frame on these. That may have something to do with why you can smell it in the car.

Now a couple of questions:

When you fill your tank, do you ever add a little more, after the pump clicks off?

Did the dealer remove the canister or just keep it in the car and look around it?

Did you buy the gas cap from the dealer?

My guess is that your canister is saturated with fuel. You can either take it off and see if it's heavier than a normal one, or even just tip it down and see if you can pour anything out. Another way to test this theory would be to buy a cheap Bluetooth scantool and when it's happening, watch purge control and rear o2 sensor, and fuel trims. You can also watch to see if the purge command happens with AC on vs off.
Still no fix Dealer took off Canister no issues! When the gas pump clicks i am finished I dont keep adding fuel! This happens full tank or 1/4 tank doesnt make a difference! The gas cap was good i did buy another from the nissan dealer! When the AC is on the Curb Idle dont move much from when its off.. Dealer went through every test and all sensors and valves work 100% No MIL light car runs like a champ and gets amazing gas mileage! Zero leaks in or around fuel lines Fuel injectors Theres 8 in that car gas tank and hoses all clean and dry car isnt that old it has low mileage on it!

·
Super Moderator
395 Posts
@labella62 I mentioned this above and forgive me if it's been covered, but have any dealers addressed the rear body vents on your Versa? Here's a pic I found online that I believe is related to your concern. The pic is with the rear bumper cover removed. The fresh air vent is the square opening with rubber flaps that are essentially check valves. They're supposed to flap open to let air out, but not let air in. Sometimes flaps fall off or get stuck open. I'm thinking fumes can be getting drawn into the cabin from this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
@labella62 I mentioned this above and forgive me if it's been covered, but have any dealers addressed the rear body vents on your Versa? Here's a pic I found online that I believe is related to your concern. The pic is with the rear bumper cover removed. The fresh air vent is the square opening with rubber flaps that are essentially check valves. They're supposed to flap open to let air out, but not let air in. Sometimes flaps fall off or get stuck open. I'm thinking fumes can be getting drawn into the cabin from this.

Thank you something to look at for sure!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Hi Ram1220 We looked at everything and couldnt find anything wrong! New Gas cap No MIL no drive issues and now that the high temps here are only in the 90s over night lows in the 70s the problem is gone! I can drive with AC on DS window open a bit NO SMELL no matter what i do no smell of gas! When the Temps outside is 108+ 112 115 and so on here in AZ AC on no issues as soon as i open the ds windows a bit boom the gas smell starts up! NEVER DOES it when the temp outside is under 100 degs! Strange indeed!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi Ram1220 We looked at everything and couldnt find anything wrong! New Gas cap No MIL no drive issues and now that the high temps here are only in the 90s over night lows in the 70s the problem is gone! I can drive with AC on DS window open a bit NO SMELL no matter what i do no smell of gas! When the Temps outside is 108+ 112 115 and so on here in AZ AC on no issues as soon as i open the ds windows a bit boom the gas smell starts up! NEVER DOES it when the temp outside is under 100 degs! Strange indeed!!!

I'm a retired LEO. Had something similar on a 86 Dodge Diplomat that I used to be assigned to. I'm in Texas. In the Summer on a real hot day I used to smell gas constantly. Mechanics never could figure it out. Only happened when temps were above 100. Several times in a shift I had to pull over and remove the gas cap. It would let a bunch of pressure out and the smell would stop for 2 hours or so. Then rinse and repeat. It was bad driving 8 hours a day with that. I used to get such bad headaches. I feel for you. I hope you finally get it sorted out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I'm a retired LEO. Had something similar on a 86 Dodge Diplomat that I used to be assigned to. I'm in Texas. In the Summer on a real hot day I used to smell gas constantly. Mechanics never could figure it out. Only happened when temps were above 100. Several times in a shift I had to pull over and remove the gas cap. It would let a bunch of pressure out and the smell would stop for 2 hours or so. Then rinse and repeat. It was bad driving 8 hours a day with that. I used to get such bad headaches. I feel for you. I hope you finally get it sorted out.
Thank you for that message!!

61 - 67 of 67 Posts