Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car started acting strange before the overheating issue occurred. I would be driving normal but if i have to stop for any reason and then move off again, the car would go into limp home mode. I would have to stop, turn off the ignition and restart for the car to accelerate normally again. This would happen atleast once or twice and then be good for the rest of the trip. Next, if I have to reverse and put in all the turning lock, then all the dash lights would come on and most of the time the car would shutdown. Once, the ABS light did not go off after one of those episodes. When I stopped and turned off the car and restarted, the ABS light went out. Subsequent to that the red temperature light would come on after driving for about 15 to 20 mins. Sometime it would come and the go out. Now it just comes on and stays on. My mechanic checked the fan, radiator fuse, relays, wires and nothing still. Any ideas?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'd want to see the actual coolant temp with a scantool to see if it's really getting hot. It's likely one of these things - fan, low coolant, thermostat, radiator, or head gasket. Has your coolant level gone down where it needs to be filled up, but you don't smell or see any leaks? That would be a head gasket contender. It only takes one overheat event to cause damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The coolant level has always remained normal. Even in the overflow bottle. The radiator was replaced with a know good working one. A diagnostic tool was put on the car and a radiator fan test ran. You could hear the fan relays clicking but fan not turning on. I saw some suggestions of another test where you start the car and turn on the AC and the fan should spin at a low speed. This produced nothing also. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the vehicle or the cooling system?

·
Registered
773 Posts
You could go to www.nicoclub.com. They have the FSM there for the North American Versa.
It should at least give you an idea about the wiring and test procedures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The issue was the IPDM (fuse box under the hood) was faulty. Once I changed the unit, the fan came on when activated by the scan tool and also when the car was allowed to heat up to normal operating temperature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts