Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Versa s hatch 6spd
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a scraping noise coming from my driver front wheel for a few weeks now and it’s starting to drive me crazy. It does not always happen but there is no definite temperature, speed, turning, or anything else that causes it. It just seems like the car does it when it feels like it. I saw a thread from 2012 with someone describing a similar issue but there was no resolution. I’ve used a thermometer on the hub and brake components and do not notice any major difference between sides. It is definitely a “chk chk chk”sound. Below is a clip with the sound. Any help anyone could provide would be great.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Brake rotor rubbing. Might be time for front brakes.

Bearing would make a low groan sound.
CV joint would be a clicking sound when turning..

Reactions: jkperth

·
Registered
2007 Versa s hatch 6spd
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for the input.

I was correcting myself a dumb question I asked earlier. I know this is not cv related.

the Bearing wouldn’t click intermittently and almost hiss? When they would go bad on the vw it sounded similar to this. Wouldn’t the rotor see an increase in temp and tend to rub more consistently?

Either way it will likely be going into the shop Friday to find out and get an alignment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brake rotor rubbing. Might be time for front brakes.

Bearing would make a low groan sound.
CV joint would be a clicking sound when turning..
Yeah I am thinking brake rotors. It's a definite metallic sound and don't think it sounds like bearings. Agree that bearing sound would increase when you turn hard. Might need new brake pads/rotors.

·
Registered
2007 Versa s hatch 6spd
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got the call from the shop they cannot get the noise to occur of course. They checked the brakes and the bearing and both are fine as well as other components.

in other news I guess my car’s previous owner never washed the under body here in Michigan so the news axle back is going to require more more than expected. Flex seals on the front are rotted out and it will not bolt to a walker resonator. If I did it again I’d get a full exhaust from BRM cause I’ll be out the same amount of money in the end.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve had a scraping noise coming from my driver front wheel for a few weeks now and it’s starting to drive me crazy. It does not always happen but there is no definite temperature, speed, turning, or anything else that causes it. It just seems like the car does it when it feels like it. I saw a thread from 2012 with someone describing a similar issue but there was no resolution. I’ve used a thermometer on the hub and brake components and do not notice any major difference between sides. It is definitely a “chk chk chk”sound. Below is a clip with the sound. Any help anyone could provide would be great.

Had similar noise that was intermittent; if any pattern was first thing in the morning and/or at the first need to turn. Nissan dealership checked and made free repair under the warranty described as: Left rear shock leak due to defective internal seal

·
Registered
2007 Versa s hatch 6spd
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I Still haven’t determined a pattern on this. It has nothing to do with speed or turning on my vehicle, it seems to be random. At first I thought it was temp based but it’s been between 27-70 here this month and it did it at all temps. I’m still convinced it’s a wheel bearing or something. If it continues another month I’ll get a second opinion. I’ll have to ask about the shock too. It’s 100% coming from the front driver wheel area.

·
Registered
809 Posts
This is a stab in the dark, but I had a 96 Mercedes E300D, which developed a similar sound from the front end. Jacked up the car, and did a visual inspection of the rotors and disks, and found that a small pebble had found its way into the caliper area, and it would sometimes rub against the disk when making a turn. Took out the pebble and case closed.

·
Registered
2007 Versa s hatch 6spd
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That’s by no means out of the question. I think when I put the car up to paint the brakes I will take them apart myself to inspect for this. Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As soon as I hear the words scraping sound coming from front, I instantly think brake rotor backing plates. Nearly every time, that's what it is. I actually can't think of an instance when it wasn't, unless the adjective used to describe it was wrong.

Try slow speed full lock parking lot maneuvers. If you hear it, I'd bet vital parts of my anatomy on it. You just have to bend the plates away from the rotors since the edges build a rust ridge and starts making contact over time.

If scraping is the right word, I would 100% start there.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts