Nissan Versa Forums banner

2007 huge engine problem

27K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  gaspricessuckk 
#1 · (Edited)
hey, new here but not new to forums, i am on mirageforums.net, blazerforums.com, saabcentral.com etc

My parents own a 2007 nissan versa hatchback, 6 speed manual i think close to 100k, not sure, all highway miles, dad drives about 45 mins to work and back. Two mornings ago he got off the highway and on the offramp, it died, wouldn't turn over, all the lights worked.

got it towed to a mechanic, and they got it started, but said it is something major, and wouldn't drive it more then a couples miles, and they can't fix it because they don't do engines. have no clue what it is and we really don't have the money for this

(recently our old furniture store that is vacant that we have been trying to sell for 2 years had a buyer then the roof collapsed.)

any ideas at all would be helpful. also i should add in it has always ticked even after putting in oil, and i have noticed when i have driven it the performance has been horrible

edit again, car has almost 90k, was 5k since a oil change, but he oil change was recent, on his way to work oil light came one, so on his way home he put in two quarts. engine isn't seized

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
In other nissan cars I've had the oil light coming on was the light of death. It is not just a low oil dummy light. Most likely the engine was starved for oil at one point and is now garbage. If it was ticking before it's probably knocking pretty bad now. I would check to see if your oil pan is dented or if you have a big oil leak somewhere.

Either way it would seem a new engine is in order. I can't say with 100% certainty though. Maybe bring it to someone who will inspect if further for you to get a concrete answer.

Sorry about your misfortune with the roof collapse too. On a brighter note if the car is in need of a new engine it seems people have been able to get this done for relatively low cost by purchasing a used engine and going to small independent shops.

#9 ·
well what did those mechanics hear that made them say "it's something major, don't drive but a couple of miles"?

Not the words I would have used if the car just started up and had only a slight tic, which is normal for our cars and nissan's in general as the injectors are very audible.

#14 ·
This doesn't help but, OMG that sounds terrible!!!!! If you somehow don't end up needing a new engine I will know for sure our cars are indestructible.

#25 ·
what were those lights on the dash?

it is knocking pretty bad unless the timing chain came off track or something
I hear lifters and valves knocking louder than normal

Here's mine, and this is what it sounds like when is cold, that's why the idle sounds higher but after it warms up, it stills sounds about the same lol

#17 ·
from another forum

9 T GSX said:
Hard to tell with the hood closed and audio isnt the greatest for this sort of thing online. Sounds like a failed lifter.

Is the noise coming more from the top or bottom?

try and record it with the camera outside already then start it.
and

270R said:
T-chain
http://forums.nicoclub.com/timing-chain-belt-t292717.html

Is it not under warranty? Oil light came on? Check for leaks on the oil pan, plug (not tight enough), oil filter (not tight enough) . . . I can't see all the vids, because my net speed is crap.

I have only watched 3/4 of the first vid. The chugging sound might be a vac leak somewhere.

I have heard C6 vette guys who drop valves on their motor. They can't start the car again . . . this is implied from browsing through a bunch of posts from them.

#18 ·
OK... SO the 1st thing I would do is a compression test. That will tell you what you are in for. The 2nd thing I would do is pull the valve-cover and look for something broken or out of place.

The sound to me sounds like a broken bridge or lifter (cam related in the head). BUT.. when you rev it, it almost sounds like a rod bearing. As long as the sound is high in the motor, you may be OK with the short-block.

However... IF you need to pull the head and have that fixed, it would be cheaper for the motor I linked and drop that in... it would be less work too. If the motor was 3K+ then I would be willing to dig in deeper, but the price on a low mile 1.8 is very reasonable.

#19 ·
well again it's my parents and we all have no money, my parents are struggling because of our whole store situation, and shit.

also other possible answer from people on saabcentral.

Seriously, that is not a good sound. That has cracked piston written all over it. Check the oil, does it smell very strongly like gas or oil? Is there a serious amount of blowby? Pretty sad for a 2007... I would check for a recall.

then

ticking? Could be cracked exhaust manifold or no oil getting in the valves

Youch. That sounds aweful. Is the oil light on? Looks like there were some lights on in the video.

#21 ·
How is the oil level on it and when was the last time it was changed?

if there's no money and you need transportation sell something to get cash and get the car fixed. that way you don't have to borrow any money

#22 ·
changed 5k ago, my dad put in two quarts before it shut off.

here is a quoate again from saabcentral, his subaru did the same thing

Hey, This is what it sounds like when you have a blown bearing and your piston is hitting the head.

(This is my subaru on its first engine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VWGBG4MIC4

Pretty sure you have the exact same problem.. Except sounds like yours is also misfiring. Mine was actually firing fine and all so no lights came on the dash. But I bet much longer and it would have really damaged something and started misfiring.

#23 ·
THE SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME!

That sucks... really bad.... after that nissan said i needed a new engine and wanted me to buy a new motor for $4k! I said no way and got the MR20 for $850 at a junk yard.

heres my video

#24 ·
did it shut off the same day he added the 2Qts of Oil?

I traded my subaru for the Versa, it was a Legacy L 2.2 and it had over 200,000 miles on and the tranny needed to be rebuilt and I didn't want to spend 3,000.00 on a car that was falling apart, plus it had electrical problems.

I bought it because I'm a cheapskate and didn't want to spend too much, but I think I learned my lesson and realized that if I go too cheap, it will cost more in the long run.

#31 ·
i use mobil 1 extended but MR motors eat up oil. i was told that my piston melted and a rod broke or something.

#34 ·
just to throw out some more info, mine was a 2007 motor as well, and it took a shit on me at about 66k miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.