Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, forum! I hope that everyone (who observes the holiday) had a lovely Christmas. Mine was... interesting, as the title suggests. The story follows.

Promptly at midnight on December 15th, my girlfriend and I left Daytona Beach in my blue 2007 Versa S 6spd HB. I had slept much of the day away in preparation for the overnight drive (an attempt to reduce traffic encounters and meet a particular arrival time.) After 8 hours behind the wheel, my lovely girlfriend Kellie took over the driving. A short time later, we were enjoying breakfast at the Cracker Barrel in Lumberton, NC. About an hour after breakfast... well... this:

Kellie was more tired than she realized. In her fatigued state she drove off the left side of the road, attempted to correct, overcorrected and then lost control. We slid out of control into the right shoulder, collided with a tree on the RR door, rolled over, slid on the roof a short ways and finally were stopped by a frontal collision with another tree.

I'm happy to report that Kellie and I crawled away from the wreck with hardly a scratch. We were both burned by airbags but that's about it. My V is about as done as done gets; State Farm totaled it, but that's what insurance is for. Still, what a great little car! I can't express how happy I am with my Versa considering how we were unhurt. I will recommend the Versa to anyone looking for a small car. Five stars, absolutely.

Kellie and I were able to continue our vacation thanks to prompt and helpful hospital staff, a taxi company and a pair of Amtrak tickets. We reached Merrick, NY at about 1:30am the next morning. As planned, we spent time with my family and spent time exploring Manhattan. After that, we rented a car to travel to Mexico, NY to visit with her family for a couple of days before driving back to FL. We made the drive over two days instead of trying to do it all at once: lesson learned!

I am now the proud owner of a 2010 Nissan Sentra SL w/ CVT.

I was a bit spoiled by the rental cars and all of their bells and whistles, plus the Sentra is CPO w/ warranty and only has 16K miles on it. Still, I guess that means I'm out of the Versa club. Too bad it was such a short time of inclusion but such is life.

The morals of the story?
- Don't drive tired.
- Don't push yourself to drive too far at once.
- Buy good cars with lots of safety features.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Glad to hear you and your girlfriend are ok! So glad to hear the versa held up well in such a harsh accident :)

Enjoy your new Sentra!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes.... you both are lucky and thank God your not hurt. Looks like the Versa absorbed a lot of the energy along with keeping you both in the cage. I am sure you had your seat belts on which helped keep you inside. If you don't mind me asking, how long do you think it took before you were able to get out of the vehicle? I wonder if there is a sensor that shuts down the fuel pump on such a sever impact.
Wow... glad you both were able to survive with minor injuries. You both have guardian angels looking over you...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Glad you and Kellie are okay!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VinnieVersa,
We were out of the car pretty quickly. I closed my eyes as we went off the road, then there were a lot of bangs and sensations of motion as we crashed, rolled and crashed again. The memories come like snapshots instead of a continual flow of information but apparently that's normal for something so intense and doesn't indicate that I lost consciousness. Next thing I knew, we were hanging upside down by our seatbelts. I was out of mine in just a couple of seconds. Once I was down, I asked Kellie if she was okay. Once she said she was I loosed her belt too and we crawled out of the blown-out rear-right door window. We were probably out of the car in under 30 seconds.

I don't know if the fuel pump gets automatically cut off in an accident like this or not. I do know that the tree that crushed the front of the V demolished the battery and the IPDM so, at least in this case, the pump was definitely powered down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.