Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2007 Versa with 180,000 miles on it. In the last month, I had the exhaust pipe welded, new rear brakes put on and had a front end alignment! Starting last week, the starter has been a little "sluggish" starting the car. It takes a couple of cranks to turn the engine over. Starting the other day, every once in a while, I turn the key and get a click, nothing else. If I turn it off and try again, it starts right up. Is the starter shot? Is it possibly an electrical connection? I am going to try to fix this one myself, so if it is the starter, is that a tough one to change?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
sounds like the starter. Could be other things like dirty ground, poor wiring on the starter etc. You can remove the starter and have it tested. I haven't changed a starter in a Versa but it has to be fairly easy as it's right there when you pop the hood. I have done other starter jobs where it takes a good half hour of searching just to find the damn thing. Starter job is 100% DIY. You can do it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Check battery and connections. Check for signs of battery leakage, and if it's a conventional one check the cells for electrolyte level. Don't think they ever came with conventional batteries but check. You are in the salt belt still, so check the starter connections. It's right there under the intake manifold, the connections are nicely covered in rubber boots, but still check it out.

This could also mean your alternator is dying, and during some running conditions the battery is discharging. The battery will also die in short order with frequent heavy discharge cycles.

The starter is grounded by being bolted to the block, this ground is usually never an issue, however, electric motors are not one piece units, they are made up of 3 sections generally, they're held together by long fasteners going from the armature end into the clutch, sometimes the circular mating surfaces can corrode and insulate the armature/field coils and solenoid. If only the solenoid clicks sometimes, go and give the starter a couple firm taps with a hammer. If it starts, this could mean there is some corrosion problems causing the occasional slow crank speed.

·
Registered
226 Posts
A dying battery will result in the same thing. Any auto store or shop can test your battery, probably at no charge if you don't a have a multimeter of your own. This past winter killed 2 of my batteries.

that exhaust is quite weak isn't it? I replaced mine last year as the flanges rusted out, and replaced the cat section this year, as those flanges rusted out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.