Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a 2007 Versa and recently starting having issues with the steering locking while she is driving. I have test driven the car and couldn't reproduce the issue. I thought it was just her, but after searching the web I discovered that many other owners have experienced the same issue. We just had the car serviced at a dealer for stalling and they replaced a faulty brake assembly switch which ended up costing her $307. She probably didn't make it clear to them that the steering and stalling didn't happen at the same time so they must have attributed the steering issue with the stalling. I am hesitant to take it back to the dealer because of the cost unless it is absolutely necessary. She is a student and needs her car for work and doesn't have a lot to spend. I am not letting her drive the car until we can figure this out. Does anyone have a similar problem and resolution? I would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an '07 Versa HB and have never experienced this problem. It sounds as if the steering lock mechanism has been tampered with. If you don't want to take it back to the dealer, it may be difficult to resolve. But you're right about not having her drive it until you get it resolved, as that can cause a accident.

Here's some cheaper DIY ideas to try- get under the IP and check the collapsible steering shaft into the firewall for anything that could cause an obstruction. Put the car up on jackstands and inspect that shaft as it goes into the steering rack to ensure no hangups. Look at the rack itself to see if there's any signs of leakage or damage. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts