·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Timing chain.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Rob, or anyone else with experience on the MR18 timing chain:

Should it be replaced at some point, preferably before its breakage causes one of the pistons to smash into its valves, or is it made to last the life of the engine?

Thanks!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
There is no recomended interval to change the chain.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
You don't replace timing chains. Sometimes engines have a tensioner that can go bad and that get's replaced but I've never seen a chain stretch or break and need replacing or it being done as preventative maintenance.

The cost to replace a chain would be on par for an engine swap. It's not like a timing belt where it's easily accessible and should be done every 60, 90 or 105k miles.

Keep up on oil changes and enjoy your maintenance free, but slightly noisy compared to a belt, timing chain driven car.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Sweet, one less thing to worry about...the belt in my old car went out and replacing it was a PITA!
I hear ya... I don't like it when they remind me the timing belt is past due :cryin:

I did have a 2.4 cavalier and the tensioner had to be replaced because it went down south and sometimes when I started the car the timing chain made noise because it was rubbing against the timing chain cover

I think the best way to keep the timing chain running good is keeping it well lubricated just like a bicycle chain, and the best way to keep the timing chain lubricated is... Change the oil :thumb2:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
There is no recomended interval to change the chain.
This is a major reason why i bought the Versa. That and the cavernous interior for such a reasonable price, and the stick of course:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
You don't replace timing chains. Sometimes engines have a tensioner that can go bad and that get's replaced but I've never seen a chain stretch or break and need replacing or it being done as preventative maintenance.

The cost to replace a chain would be on par for an engine swap. It's not like a timing belt where it's easily accessible and should be done every 60, 90 or 105k miles.

Keep up on oil changes and enjoy your maintenance free, but slightly noisy compared to a belt, timing chain driven car.
Thanks Rob, I will.

Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.