Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Versa with 19,000K on it.

My car normally starts and runs very well - except:

When it's very cold out (below -15 degrees celcius / or below 5 degrees Fahrenheit) - It starts fine, but if I drive somewhere until it's completely warmed up (1/2 hour), leave the car (i.e. shopping, etc.) and then come back to the car within a 1/2 hour, the car will start right away and then stall, and then it will not restart no matter how long I turn it over.

I have to wait at least an hour until the car is fairly well cooled off and then it will start.

So the fault seems to be that when the engine is still somewhat warm, and I'm starting it in very cold temperature.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it could be the fuel pressure regulator or water in the fuel lines. how long have you had this problem?
I've had the problem since the first winter in 2009 if the temperature is very cold (less than -15 degrees). It only happens on those days, and only occurs when I am starting a moderately warm engine in very cold temperature (.i.e. drive to a shopping center and come back out after shopping a half hour).

Those are obscure conditions, so it only happens once or twice a winter. If I wait until the engine cools off after the unsuccessful attempts to get it started, the engine starts and runs fine. Although once or twice a year doesn't seem like much, it's a concern when you're in a parking lot with a car that won't start and it's -15 degrees.

I don't know if the fuel pressure regulator matches the conditions I've described. Perhaps ice in the fuel, but I thought most cold areas of Canada sold fuel with antifreeze in it?

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
The only issue I have experienced is if the car sits at work for 8+ hours, and it's extremely cold outside, that it doesn't start quickly. I think my battery is the culprit in this case.

Do you have a warranty left on your Versa? If so, try taking it to Nissan, or calling one and asking them if they have experienced this problem before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I had this fault occur a week ago (and it has actually only occured at the most four times in the life of the car), I decided to do some testing. I had to wait until it was very, very cold out (less than -15 degrees celsius).

I believe I have discovered what causes the fault.

When the engine is started while the outside air is very cold, the computer calls for a fairly rich air/fuel mixture, regardless of the fact that the internals of the engine are actually still warm. (I feel since the car was driven enough to be warm and then shut off at its destination, that returning within a half hour or so, the engine internals would still be somewhat warm, while the sensors surrounding the engine would be quite cool).

If I have the fan turned on, with the selector set to defrost, once the engine initially starts, the pesky air conditioner turns on. This quick drag on the engine causes the computer to supply more fuel to the engine to maintain the idle RPM's.

This immediate dump of fuel into the engine, combined with the already rich air/fuel mixture floods the engine (as the internals are still warm). Once that occurs, I can't get the engine started because it's flooded. Waiting a half hour or so solves the problem because then the engine will start.

My solution is to be vigilant about ensuring the fan is off when starting the car in the bitter cold.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
2008 Versa with 19,000K on it.

My car normally starts and runs very well - except:

When it's very cold out (below -15 degrees celcius / or below 5 degrees Fahrenheit) - It starts fine, but if I drive somewhere until it's completely warmed up (1/2 hour), leave the car (i.e. shopping, etc.) and then come back to the car within a 1/2 hour, the car will start right away and then stall, and then it will not restart no matter how long I turn it over.

I have to wait at least an hour until the car is fairly well cooled off and then it will start.

So the fault seems to be that when the engine is still somewhat warm, and I'm starting it in very cold temperature.

Any ideas?

Is the check engine light on (CEL)?

If so, then what is the fault code? I'm leaning towards an oxygen sensor, but to be sure you should have that code. And usually, it will throw a code for a misfire, o2 sensor, fuel pressure, etc..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nope, checked with a reader and there are no codes.
Strange. Usually after 10 seconds of no-start, you'll throw a code. Well if I had to guess, I'd lean towards the fuel pressure regulator. But, I'd wait to see if the problem gets worse.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
when she doesn't want to start...

I would turn the key to the on position and hear the fuel pump send fuel to the engine, but don't start the car, then turn the key to the off position, then turn it back on, then off. do that 3 times, then try to start the car again.

if she starts, it could be the fuel pressure regulator.

if she doesn't start, ask someone to give you a jump and see if that helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.