Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Trying to change the transmission fluid in 2008 Versa manual transmission. 3/8 square socket is too big to fit the drain plug but I can't find information anywhere on the internet as to what the correct size might be. Anyone done this? This project is making me crazy....

·
Registered
691 Posts
The bit for it has a gentle taper, you need to buy a cheap 3 inch 3/8 extension and grind it down on all sides with about a 5 degree taper on each side, works perfect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was just going to say- you can grind down a 3/8" socket adapter and it fits quite nicely. Alternatively you can buy the "correct" adapter from a nissan dealership. I think it's like $12.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also, careful when filling, the guy's at Sherway Nissan here in Etobicoke told me it takes 2.5L of fluid but it was too much and overflowed. Def not pleasant getting that stuff in your hair.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Takes 2L, since it's very thick alot will be left on the inside of the bottle. What will you be running out of curiosity? I'm running Royal Purple 75/90. For filling you can either shove a hose in the box as deep as you can and squeeze the bottle until you're blue in the face (like i usually do) or buy a little pump designed to fit those type of bottles that reaches to the bottom. Professional tool company's do make a really handy fluid transfer pump that basically looks like the barrel of a grease gun, but it's too expensive for a one time drain and fill like you're doing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I played it safe and purchased genuine Nissan manual transmission fluid from the dealer. I got 3 1 liter bottles for around $55. turns out i only needed two. I don't have a lift so i used a suction grease gun that i picked up at Canadian tire for pretty cheap. Did the fluid change last summer and my trans is still feeling pretty strong. Here's a link to the grease gun:

Suction Grease Gun | Canadian Tire

1 - 6 of 6 Posts