Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Nissan Versa S hatchback, a few weeks ago my control knob for my AC levels broke. I believe it broke because I closed most of the vents and had all the air blowing out of only 2 of the vents. I went to try to turn my knob to adjust the level from 1 to 4, it got REALLY JAMMED on #3 and I had to force it to #4, I feel like I practically broke it but I'm not sure.
I did some research and ended up replacing my AC resistor because I thought I fried it but that didn't help. Replacing the resistor only made it stronger and colder. When I switch to levels 3&4 it completely shuts off, level 1&2 work perfectly fine.

I'm about to tear down my dashboard to see the insides of the control module, I believe I have to replace that, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
528 Posts
It sounds like you've got more than one problem.

Those cables are what change the mode door and blend door. They commonly bind up at the door and when you try to change a setting, it's hard, the cable bends and usually pops off right there behind the knob. Once it bends, it's toast, and likely that whatever it's controlling is binding up, which is also not good, since that's the HVAC unit. That face plate might be super easy to take off. Just a trim piece and four screws maybe? If it comes right off, I'd inspect behind there first. If it's a pain, go down to the floor, remove any low trim pieces that might be there, and turn the knobs, looking for which knob controls what. You should see and hear the cable to find it's end. Pop the cable off there and see if you can manually move the doors. If not, new cables and controls won't fix it.

I think you were talking a out the fan knob being hard to turn? That's a different issue and should be hard at all, since it doesn't use the cables That could require replacement of that assembly, which usually comes with the cables.

You mainly want to make sure that what the cables are controlling isn't stuck and see what's up behind that fan speed knob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It sounds like you've got more than one problem.

Those cables are what change the mode door and blend door. They commonly bind up at the door and when you try to change a setting, it's hard, the cable bends and usually pops off right there behind the knob. Once it bends, it's toast, and likely that whatever it's controlling is binding up, which is also not good, since that's the HVAC unit. That face plate might be super easy to take off. Just a trim piece and four screws maybe? If it comes right off, I'd inspect behind there first. If it's a pain, go down to the floor, remove any low trim pieces that might be there, and turn the knobs, looking for which knob controls what. You should see and hear the cable to find it's end. Pop the cable off there and see if you can manually move the doors. If not, new cables and controls won't fix it.

I think you were talking a out the fan knob being hard to turn? That's a different issue and should be hard at all, since it doesn't use the cables That could require replacement of that assembly, which usually comes with the cables.

You mainly want to make sure that what the cables are controlling isn't stuck and see what's up behind that fan speed knob.
I might have explained it a bit confusing, but the only problem is the level control knob. I took apart my dashboard & removed my radio today to take a look at the control module inside. Everything looked fine and all the other knobs & cables were working good too. Also turns out the level knob doesn't have a cable on it, it's actually an electrical wire plugged in, so I'm not sure what to do besides replace the whole thing.

I'm not sure how those cables go in though... if I do end up replacing it.

Like I stated, it was jammed really bad when I was turning it.. so it has to be something mechanically broken right? not electrical. After I forced it to level 4 it completely stopped working on those levels.

I also took all the knobs off and checked behind them, nothing I could tell was off.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My 2009 versa sedan did the same thing. The ac fan switch was stuck at the number 2 position. As far as I know, the ac fan switch itself is not a replaceable item and the entire unit must be changed out to make the repair. So I live with the ac at the number 2 position in both winter and summer with no problems to speak of. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2009 versa sedan did the same thing. The ac fan switch was stuck at the number 2 position. As far as I know, the ac fan switch itself is not a replaceable item and the entire unit must be changed out to make the repair. So I live with the ac at the number 2 position in both winter and summer with no problems to speak of. Good luck!!!
Exactly what I'm thinking, this heat is killing me lol, thanks.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ok, so the fan speed know is the problem. Right, if doesn't feel right, you have to replace that whole face plate.

Fan speed switch - controls blower fan speed
Mode switch - changes which vents air comes out of
Recirculation/fresh air switch - controls air source from outdoor air to in cabin air
A/C button - turns a/c on and off

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like you need to change the unit itself. Good luck getting to where the 3 lines hook up in the dash. I got to the vacuum line end so I used the one on the new unit but I couldn't get the green one disconnected up in the dash-- the yellow one I couldn't even find where it hooked up. So I carefully disconnected the new cables from the new unit and used the ones already in the car. Vacuum line was the only one I managed to use on the new unit. It all works now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts