Nissan Versa Forums banner

2009 Nissan Versa not starting

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Frisco Joe 
#1 ·
Hello all! I'm new to the world of Versas I bought a 2009 Versa from a junkyard that was hit badly in the front the car doesn't start or crank at all but most electronics work. I had a mechanic start the car from a naked wire from the starter cable but that's about it. I'm not good with cars or anything but If anyone has any suggestions on what needs fixing or replacing to start the car from the key lol. I'm open to all thanks in advance!

#4 ·
If you're not good with cars, how in the world did you decide to buy a totaled car from a junkyard?
Did the mechanic who actually saw your car gave you "any suggestions on what needs fixing or replacing to start the car from the key"?
Unfortunately not he's more of a friend that works on cars here and there similar to me and just said for now to start it that way.

#5 ·
Let's make it clear that "hot-wiring" the Versa will not work for long. Your '09 has the Nissan Immobilizer System as standard equipment and uses a small chip in the key that works with the ECM to identify who should be allowed to start your car. At some point, it'll simply lock down your ignition no matter what you do. This system is not a DIY project, even for experienced mechanics. Take your bill of sale or title to your local Nissan dealer to have them reprogram the ignition keys and initialize the system for you. Yes, it'll cost some $$$, but that's what you get for buying a salvage car without knowing what you're getting into.

#6 ·
Thank you! I will look into this first thing in the morning. The car is damaged in the front pretty bad but only starts with hot wiring other than that if I try by key no crank or noise just sits there. Just want to make sure that reprogramming they key is the solution.

#9 ·
Without being there to go through the car there's no way to determine what was damaged. Be prepared for a exorbitant bill when you go to get an estimate. Were you going to drive it around with the front end badly damaged? Are you trying to fix it yourself?
Its badly damaged in the front that it can be street legal to drive. I planned on hiring someone to fix the frame and that's about it. I can add the radiator and exterior parts myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.