Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. I'm helping my daughter get her car in better shape. I'm replacing the rear shocks. The bottom bolt is very rusted from winters here in Canada. The bolt goes through a threaded portion that if co nected to the rear wheel axle assembly and I'm afraid of the bolt breaking off. Seeing that there is no nut I can't even cut it off and replace with new nuts and bolts.
Has anyone experienced this and has a solution. Iv sprayed WD40 on the rust but the rust still piles up in the threads.
If the bolt breaks then I'm in trouble.

·
Registered
383 Posts
WD40 is not the best penetrating oil. I had a very good experience using PB Blaster for rusted threads. Just let it sit overnight after spraying. For some very tough threads it could take a few days, trying and spraying more in between.

·
Registered
461 Posts
+1 on PB Blaster. LOTS of PB! A propane torch is also very helpful with heavily rusted bolts.
Worst case is if you are unable, or too worried, is take it to a shop and let them deal with the rusted bolts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WD40 is not the best penetrating oil. I had a very good experience using PB Blaster for rusted threads. Just let it sit overnight after spraying. For some very tough threads it could take a few days, trying and spraying more in between.
Thanks. Never heard of PB Blaster but I'll look. I was going to try Kroil oil but that seems difficult to find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As mentioned PB blaster is a must. On top of that it doesn’t hurt to use a jack to help relieve some on the spring pressure from the rear trailing arm assuming the car is on jack stands. You’ll also need an 1/2 impact wrench whether it be air or a Milwaukee electric. I recently did full suspension on. 2012 I picked up for a daily driver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts