Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I keep reading about numerous Versa engine knocking related issues. Appears to be issue with Cylinder #3 . However, correct me if I am wrong, but they seem to be more common with the 1.8 motor?

My GF has a 2009 Versa 1.6 Base Automatic. I am praying she does not have the issue as I think she is past the 5 year power train warranty. I am going to have her swing by tomorrow so I can listen to the car.

Has anyone had their 1.6 Versa engine replaced under warranty?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
True more common with 1.8
Has anyone replaced a 1.6 yet? Warranty? What was the issue?
btw welcome to the nvf

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I believe someone posted something about their 1.6 "knocking" but it was a 2nd generation and didn't give many details about it. Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Yeah only two failures I have read on the internet. One was a newer model and was knocking almost right out of the factory. Clearly a manufacturing defect. Other was a guy with an older 1.6. He used the car for deliveries or something, maybe a cab. Had very high miles and I read his belt snapped and the car was driven without the waterpump moving due to the belt.

No engine is perfect so she may have a bad engine. Check the oil on it and see if it's very low. Hell just change the oil and see what happens. Also look for dents on the oil pan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, so GF brought the car and I checked it out. I do not hear a knocking sound, but do hear a ticking/clicking sound. I am hoping this is the normal sound for the Versa? My GF gets the oil changed from the dealer every 3, 000 miles. She does not drive the car much so it is at 19, 000 miles at the moment.

I have posted a Youtube video. If you guys could kindly check it out to see if the sound is normal? You can really hear it well at 37 seconds into the video.

Temperature is 87F and GF drove 30 minutes to get to me. We let car cool down for an hour before shooting the video.

I just want to make sure everything it sounds fine because she starts her new medical program tomorrow. It will be an 18 months accelerated class, 8 hours a day. It is roughly 45-60 minute commute each way per day so just want to make sure there are no issues with the car.

My GF never payed much attention to car sound, but had her watch a Knocking Versa youtube video and she will keep a ear out if she ever hears that.

Thank You!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hello,

I keep reading about numerous Versa engine knocking related issues. Appears to be issue with Cylinder #3 . However, correct me if I am wrong, but they seem to be more common with the 1.8 motor?

My GF has a 2009 Versa 1.6 Base Automatic. I am praying she does not have the issue as I think she is past the 5 year power train warranty. I am going to have her swing by tomorrow so I can listen to the car.

Has anyone had their 1.6 Versa engine replaced under warranty?

Thanks!
My 2009 1.6 Versa had a short block put in under warranty this past December. I had purchased the car new, and at about 5000 miles, I could hear a distinct noise when the engine was cold. Brought it back to the dealer, and the tech said it was a normal fuel impulse sound. To my ears, it sounded like a piston slap. The service department documented my concern regarding the noise. Each year, the noise increased in intensity, especially in the cold winter months. This past winter, the noise became so loud that it was impossible to ignore, and with the warranty running out, I again brought the car back to the dealership, left it outside overnight, and the next morning, the head mechanic and I started the engine ice cold. The noise was there, and became louder once that transmission was placed in gear. He agreed that the noise was a piston slap, and started the ball rolling to get a short block ordered and installed. The new short block is quiet, with no sounds out of the ordinary. From the postings I have read, some posters have had the same sound, and have put over 100,000 miles on the engine with no other problems. Others have had the engine start burning oil with as little as 40,000 miles. From what I understand, the original 1.6 engine piston skirts were not designed properly, and ended up being too short. This allows the piston to rock back and forth, hence the slapping sound. Depending on the luck of the draw, the engine can continue like that for a long time, or the slap can cause extensive internal damage that will require a new engine. Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your response. Looks like the warranty expires in December 2014. Hopefully if it is faulty it will start making louder sounds in the Fall when it gets cold so we can get car repaired.

Was anyone able to listen to the video of the car engine to see if it sounds faulty? Here is link again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuqJCQ7JBOM

Thank You!

·
Registered
226 Posts
are you sure that's not jsut the typical injector chatter? I ahd a gander at ur vid. I don't really hear anything that sounds too bad. If you aren't consuming oil, and you haven't noticed an appreciable power loss or vibration, your most likely fine. Piston slap wears at the cylinder walls, allowing leaks and ultimately killing compression.

A 4-cyl running with one cylinder down due to lost compression shakes pretty bad (been there).

keep an eye on your oil level, exhaust smoke, and if you can, do a compression test.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Bump! Anyone have any feedback on last post?
With my car, as I mentioned in my prior post, when the engine was cold and first started, you could hear the noise, and if you placed it in drive, the noise did get louder. I listened to your engine, and it was no where as loud as the noise coming from my engine, but it is hard to tell just from a video. I would suggest that you wait for some of the colder weather to see if the noise increases in intensity. Good luck!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
hello, i am from south america, i have a nissan march 1.6 (hr16de), the car is the same as the one sold in canada as the micra.
My car has 1000km only, it started making an strange noise (it does not matter if the engine is cold or hot, the noise remains the same) between 2000-3000rpm, the noise is very strange because is the same if you go on 2nd gear or you have it in neutral (car has manual transmision), when you press very little on the gas pedal at those rpm you can hear the noise but if you go for example in 3rd gear and you cut the gas the noise disapears even with the engine going above 2000rpm, but as soon as you touch the gas pedal, the noise returns.
i think the problem is not the same as the piston slap that mr18 suffer.
the car is now at the dealer, they said it was the first time they heard that noise, they sent a video to mexico to the factory waiting for a response.
the sound in second gear is similar to the one heard on these video between 4.43-4.48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGKqqgChAYQ#t=286
as is said before, as soon as you remove the foot from gas pedal, the engine sound very nice and smooth, with cero strange noises, this is very rare :S

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for your response. Looks like the warranty expires in December 2014. Hopefully if it is faulty it will start making louder sounds in the Fall when it gets cold so we can get car repaired.

Was anyone able to listen to the video of the car engine to see if it sounds faulty? Here is link again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuqJCQ7JBOM

Thank You!
can you post a video of the engine being acelerated very gentle between 2000-3000rpm??
at idle sounds pretty normal.

·
Registered
226 Posts
you have a very short leash with new cars. I always expect one trip to the dealer with any new car under warranty.

Anyway, a rattling that occurs only under load could easily be a cam chain tensioner.
Granted I cannot look at the video, but by description, that'd fit the bill.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
can you post a video of the engine being acelerated very gentle between 2000-3000rpm??
at idle sounds pretty normal.
Sorry! I just saw this post. I will try to make a video for you next few days when I see my GF. It is her car.

Now that it is finally colder weather, going to make sure there is no piston knock/slaps since warranty expires on December 11, 2014! Which is great, because we thought car was already out of warranty.

I have been reading on here for about 2 hours now. It appears this issue is mainly with the 1.8 engines. There is only three people on here that I have seen that had this issue on the 1.6 motor. One of them being pimperell. Then the other two I am ruling out since one had the issue since car was brand-new and the other was really high milage and they still drove it while it was engine was overheating. Hopefully the GF 1.6 will be fine, will have her check it every morning since December 11 is around the corner.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry! I just saw this post. I will try to make a video for you next few days when I see my GF. It is her car.

Now that it is finally colder weather, going to make sure there is no piston knock/slaps since warranty expires on December 11, 2014! Which is great, because we thought car was already out of warranty.

I have been reading on here for about 2 hours now. It appears this issue is mainly with the 1.8 engines. There is only three people on here that I have seen that had this issue on the 1.6 motor. One of them being pimperell. Then the other two I am ruling out since one had the issue since car was brand-new and the other was really high milage and they still drove it while it was engine was overheating. Hopefully the GF 1.6 will be fine, will have her check it every morning since December 11 is around the corner.
try this.
let the engine reach working temperature.
put the car in neutral, and very very slowly press the gas pedal and let the engine reach 2000-2500rpm, and see if you hear a knock similar to the video of my previous message.
also when having the engine at 2500rpm release a little your foot from the pedal and when rpm are at 2000 hit the pedal very gentle and see if you hear the knock/metallic noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just adding to this thread:

One of our Micra forum members with a knock in his brand new HRD16DE engine (1,200 km on the odometer) had a complete long block replacement done under warranty this week.

Dealer isolated the knock to cyl #2 , but didn't say what was causing it.

Dealer invoice:

Completed removal of engine assembly due to knock from engine isolated to cylinder #2 . Installed new long block assembly, transferred over necessary components, topped up oil and coolant level. After assembly, confirmed that knock symptom was eliminated. And road tested under same conditions to verify.
From: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking/rattling at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

The owner also posted audio and video which clearly demonstrated the knocking sound.

Several other owners are reporting hearing the same noise, but no additional info yet from them or their dealers.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Just adding to this thread:

One of our Micra forum members with a knock in his brand new HRD16DE engine (1,200 km on the odometer) had a complete long block replacement done under warranty this week.

Dealer isolated the knock to cyl #2 , but didn't say what was causing it.

Dealer invoice:

From: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking/rattling at certain RPM - HR16DE - solved)

The owner also posted audio and video which clearly demonstrated the knocking sound.

Several other owners are reporting hearing the same noise, but no additional info yet from them or their dealers.

Hope the new engines aren't total junk. I'm thinking not since there have been so many sold and so few with problems. But this could be the start of something. The OP has the older style which they don't make anywhere anymore and engine failures seem far and few between on them.

BTW Like that forum over there. I been on it since it started because I want a micra but it's not available to me. I never signed up I just read the new posts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
little more information.
a friend of mine has a micra with the same problem.
he has a bosch kts diagnostic tool.
in the last update 2014/3 you can access with a lot of new test for the ecu.
one of the test can disconnect each cylinder, one by one.
when disconnected number 1, 3 and 4, the noise was unchanged, but when disconnected number 2, the noise was reduced like 70%.
So the problem is rod bearing of cylinder 2.
Since the noise is 100% the same as my car, both cars have the same problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.