Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I own a 2009 Versa Hatchback with no rear upper spoiler, does anyone own a versa with the spoiler and have you used a bike carrier with it? My carrier is a 2 biker, and just wondering if the spoiler is strong enough to carry a bike without cracking. Thanks for the info.:multi::multi::multi:

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I have the spoiler, and that's one reason why I didn't get the trunk mounted bike racks. Every company I contacted in regards to trunk mounts said the spoiler could crack, and I didn't want to take that chance.

I have roof racks with the bike mounts instead.

I would prefer a hitch to carry my bike, but with my exhaust the hitch wouldn't work. So I'm still searching for a used hitch, so I can modify it to fit around my exhaust.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hey iLuv, is that a Thule rack system? I am thinking of a Yakima roof system, or a hitch. I have stock exhaust so a hitch would work, however with a bike carrier on a hitch for the versa you need to also add support straps as the hitch tongue weight is only 200lbs and the versa hitch has a narrow band of steel that goes under the exhaust thereby I think weakening its strength. Your thought on how your setup is?

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Hey iLuv, is that a Thule rack system? I am thinking of a Yakima roof system, or a hitch. I have stock exhaust so a hitch would work, however with a bike carrier on a hitch for the versa you need to also add support straps as the hitch tongue weight is only 200lbs and the versa hitch has a narrow band of steel that goes under the exhaust thereby I think weakening its strength. Your thought on how your setup is?
I actually purchased the racks from Nissan (in Mississauga), it was far cheaper than any rack store. The cross bars & feet are Thule brand. The actual bike mount is from Rack Attack (Canadian website) and you could order it in any colour you want (I picked red to match the car). It works well, fork is secure, and I bought the locks for the fork mount. I do secure the bike when going on long trips with extra ties to the mount, but for short trips to daily biking sites, I just use the lock & tie that came with it.

I even take my bike mounted on the car & will leave it on my car for the day while at work. When I do that, I use an extra lock that I wrap around the cross bars / bike mount.

Close up (notice the extra ties used - road trip to Quebec):

EDIT: The fairing did not come w/ the racks, my bro stopped using his roof racks for his SE-R, so he gave the fairing to me. It reduces ALOT of wind noise when the bike is mounted. Without the fairing, with bike mounted, I could not open the sunroof.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I actually purchased the racks from Nissan (in Mississauga), it was far cheaper than any rack store. The cross bars & feet are Thule brand. The actual bike mount is from Rack Attack (Canadian website) and you could order it in any colour you want (I picked red to match the car). It works well, fork is secure, and I bought the locks for the fork mount. I do secure the bike when going on long trips with extra ties to the mount, but for short trips to daily biking sites, I just use the lock & tie that came with it.

I even take my bike mounted on the car & will leave it on my car for the day while at work. When I do that, I use an extra lock that I wrap around the cross bars / bike mount.

Close up (notice the extra ties used - road trip to Quebec):

EDIT: The fairing did not come w/ the racks, my bro stopped using his roof racks for his SE-R, so he gave the fairing to me. It reduces ALOT of wind noise when the bike is mounted. Without the fairing, with bike mounted, I could not open the sunroof.
Thanks, I will explore the Nissan Dealers for the roof rack. I already have some SportRack Fork-mount carriers for our bikes as well as a 3-bike hitch carrier, so that is why I was debating about the roof vs. hitch setup. Looks like I may stay with the roof. Our last car had a factory roof rack that I got dealer load bars for and used the fork-mounts for the bikes. That car is gone now so I need to see what I can get for the V. Thanks for the info, yes I know Rack Attack as that is where I got my original fork-mount carriers from.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Thanks, I will explore the Nissan Dealers for the roof rack. I already have some SportRack Fork-mount carriers for our bikes as well as a 3-bike hitch carrier, so that is why I was debating about the roof vs. hitch setup. Looks like I may stay with the roof. Our last car had a factory roof rack that I got dealer load bars for and used the fork-mounts for the bikes. That car is gone now so I need to see what I can get for the V. Thanks for the info, yes I know Rack Attack as that is where I got my original fork-mount carriers from.
Ya either option will work. For me, I'm just carrying one bike, so it's not a heavy load ... so if I find a used hitch cheap, I will be modifying it to fit around my exhaust.

The dealer in Mississauga gave me 15% off the racks since it was my first purchase there. If you check kijiji, I think they advertise the discount.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Update: I ended up purchasing a new Saris Trunk Mount Bike Rack, the Bones 3 Model. We did a test fitting and it clears my trunk Factory Spoiler by a 1/4 inch or so. I also tried the Thule Raceway 3-bike, but it did not clear the spoiler enough for my liking and it was $100 more than the Saris.

I was leaning towards roof mount but the cost for a good Thule system is prohibitive (could not get a used one, they go fast!) and I did not want something permanent like a hitch.

The Bones 3 fits excellent and is very sturdy. I've had trunk mounts years ago when they were very basic and never had a problem with something falling off, etc.

I also wanted to keep my roof clear as I have a factory sunroof and visor, and I've read many issues regarding wind noise even with a fairing.

This will suit my needs very well as most of the time it is only one bike I am carrying for me, however sometimes 3 for my wife and daughter too. Plus, I can move it to any other car or van/suv as well without worrying about fit kits, etc. I'll be putting up my Sportrack Forkmount Bike Carriers for sale on ebay soon.

Now we just need the nicer weather to dry out the trails!

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Sounds good! Post pics ! I couldn't do a trunk mount on my hatch. I didn't want to risk breaking my spoiler.

As for wind noise with the roof racks it's not that bad. I can drive on the highway with my sunroof open (no visor) with roof racks & bike mounted. It's just a myth. Without the fairing though, you would find the noise very high pitched. I had the sunroof open today with the racks up, and I was on the highway, noise is fine. No different then just driving without racks and roof open.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sounds good! Post pics ! I couldn't do a trunk mount on my hatch. I didn't want to risk breaking my spoiler.

As for wind noise with the roof racks it's not that bad. I can drive on the highway with my sunroof open (no visor) with roof racks & bike mounted. It's just a myth. Without the fairing though, you would find the noise very high pitched. I had the sunroof open today with the racks up, and I was on the highway, noise is fine. No different then just driving without racks and roof open.
Hi, I managed to install the carrier and load up my bike to take it to the local shop for a tune up and some work. I hope to start some local riding within the next couple of weeks, weather depending.

Here are a couple of pics of the Saris Bones 3 trunk mount system. Took about 5 minutes to install and I drove 20 minutes up the road, in high winds today, no issues at all very stable. I slightly adjusted it after I took these pics, so there is a bit more clearance over the spoiler but even in these pics, no rubbing.

Works great. If any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.