1. It does increase in speed as RPMs increase.Well, couple of things to check:
1. Does it get faster as the engine speed increases (have someone press on the gas,"gently" as you listen).
2. Does it always make the noise or is it only when the engine is cold.
3. Better description of your car: automatic, cvt, standard transmission, model (S, SV ...), miles on car.
4. Did something change just before you noticed the noise: oil change, new muffler, accident.....
That is the sound a collapsed lifter would make but that is just a wild guess.