Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm having trouble finding an answer to this question. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

I have a 2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base Sedan. In the last year and a half, the flange between my muffler and resonator rusted off and is not able to be fixed by welding.

Now that I have the financial means, I'm trying to figure out which parts to buy that will replace the muffler, resonator, flange, and other parts in between.

The problem is that I'm seeing conflicting information online.

A friend suggested I buy this...

Resonator Pipe Muffler Exhaust System Kit Fits 2007 2011 Versa Sedan | eBay

However the compability table says it's not compatible with the 1.6 Base model, only the 1.8 model.

When I try to search for a muffler and resonator that will fit the 1.6 model, I can't seem to dig anything up. :frown

My question is as follows - Will the part above, fit my 2009 Versa 1.6 Base Sedan? If not, is anyone able to help me search for a part that will? This whole process has been quite frustrating given my limited knowledge of cars.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone that can help!

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
The two things I check when I run into something like that is courtesyparts.com (a dealership in Texas with a really easy to use site, great prices, and a pretty great sales staff you can call up if you need too) and rockauto.com.

going off of the Courtesy base 1.6 page here and the 1.8 page here it looks like they might actually have different set ups.

What's hard to tell sometimes is what those differences are and if they influence what you're trying to do. The other thing that doesn't help is that Nissan will sometimes give the same part different part numbers for difference vehicles and it's hard to cross reference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two things I check when I run into something like that is courtesyparts.com (a dealership in Texas with a really easy to use site, great prices, and a pretty great sales staff you can call up if you need too) and rockauto.com.

going off of the Courtesy base 1.6 page here and the 1.8 page here it looks like they might actually have different set ups.

What's hard to tell sometimes is what those differences are and if they influence what you're trying to do. The other thing that doesn't help is that Nissan will sometimes give the same part different part numbers for difference vehicles and it's hard to cross reference.

Thanks for the info. It looks like what you're saying about the same part but different part numbers is true. Check out diagrams at this link below...

2009 Nissan Versa Sedan Exhaust Tube & Muffler - NissanPartsDeal.com

If it helps at all, here's an image of the rusted flange on my exhaust. Maybe this will provide some clues? Unless my perception is incorrect, it looks like the OEM exhaust for the 1.8 is the same as the 1.6.

12233218_2765096579026_2075972124_n (1).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
looks just like mine! I just left it. It's getting annoying at stop lights though because of all the rattling. Check out rockauto.com. They had an entire kit for the 1.6.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 2009 with the 1.8L engine also failed so I cut off the flange and repaired it with an 8" exhaust sleeve and some clamps and a tube of High Temp RTV rated at 600 deg F. Total cost $20 and my labor. If I were to do it again I would use a 10" sleeve so the muffler would not have to moved forward to compensate for the 1" loss of exhaust. The nuts were so rusted on that they could not be removed so I cut the flange off. I measured the diameter of the pipe with a caliper and then locked the caliper and then took it down to my local NAPA store and found an exhaust sleeve that match my caliper. My failure occurred in Nov 2015 and I had 72495 miles on the car.

Frank 2009 Versa S sedan MT-6 with 74600 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm having trouble finding an answer to this question. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

I have a 2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base Sedan. In the last year and a half, the flange between my muffler and resonator rusted off and is not able to be fixed by welding.

Now that I have the financial means, I'm trying to figure out which parts to buy that will replace the muffler, resonator, flange, and other parts in between.

The problem is that I'm seeing conflicting information online.

A friend suggested I buy this...

Resonator Pipe Muffler Exhaust System Kit Fits 2007 2011 Versa Sedan | eBay

However the compability table says it's not compatible with the 1.6 Base model, only the 1.8 model.

When I try to search for a muffler and resonator that will fit the 1.6 model, I can't seem to dig anything up. :frown

My question is as follows - Will the part above, fit my 2009 Versa 1.6 Base Sedan? If not, is anyone able to help me search for a part that will? This whole process has been quite frustrating given my limited knowledge of cars.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone that can help!
For that price of DIY replacement a muffler shop could fix it for less. Just my 2 cents in 2016 value. Last note: if the flange rusted off, perhaps it indicates the condition of the rest of the system. Perhaps the pipes are too thin to weld a fix to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts