Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have originally posted this in the wrong forum

Hi all,

I have a 2009 Versa 1.8 automatic transmission.
All problems seem to happen randomly, BUT, it seems that they are more pronounced when the car is hot (been running a while) or if I use 87 octane and not 93.
Not sure if related, but problem started about the time the fuel pump was replaced (see below).

These problems started as very small, barely noticable, but over the year have become more noticeable.

The problem is that the car will hesitate or 'lurch' when I accelerate on the highway after 'coasting' (say maintaining a speed of 40 in traffic then accelerating) the car will 'buck', jolt or hesitate then accelerate. This usually happens when I lightly accelerate, it doesn't happen when I 'floor it'. It does not happen when I set cruise control and just drive at a steady speed.

Second - the car 'knocks' or 'jolts' randomly when I am stopped in Drive. I will feel a 'jolt' and randomly the RPMs would fluctuate. The car's RPMs aa Drive stop are 700. Not every jolt will cause a RPM dip, but when it does, the RPMs drop maybe 50-100 then bounce up to 800 then back to 700. When hot, the RPMs can drop to 500 and the car feels like it shudders briefly.
Almost always it does not do this when the engine is cold. This morning for example it did not do this until 20 minutes of stop and go driving, and then knocking/jolting was mild

When I left work today it did not do the knock or jolt, but after roughly 45 minutes of highway driving at 65-70 MPH, it did do it when I stopped for a light. And the knocking or jolting was more noticeable. And it seems random. at one light it might jolt/ then at the other no jolt. It also seems the longer I am waiting at a light the jolts come (randomly).

The car did stall twice in the past month - both times when turning at low speed, when the car was cold.

Car has 163,000. The engine was replaced at 53,000.
Alternator is 4 years old (replaced with engine)

Fuel pump went 1 year ago (October 2018) -was replaced with a new one. Was replaced under warranty 1 month after (November 2018). At the time the RPMs were jumping a bit and I smelled gas so my mechanic replaced it - he said that the engine code showed the mixture was too lean. After the first fuel pump change I noticed a slight, random jolt while stopped at a light. It was mild through last winter (cold- NYC/Long Island), but came back in the Spring. (additional info - after the second fuel pump replaced, I discovered the air filter cover was loose - there was a gap, I secured it down and the the performance got better).

Spring - Mechanic replaced engine mounts, and before bringing it to him I got an engine code - mechanic said it was something to do with the computer needing to be reprogrammed. (an H # code maybe? I forget). He cleared code and it did not come back until Summer. At the time he was going to try and get the program from a friend, but in the end he couldn't get it.

Summer - one day driving from the store the car ran very bad - brought to mechanic - code said it was #2 ignition coil. He replaced that coil and all spark plugs. I asked if the 'jolting'/hesitating could be caused by an ignition coil going bad, he said no, they usually just go. (not sure if true?). I was on a budget and just replaced the one #2 ignition coil - the other 3 are probably the originals from the factory.

Late summer/Fall - replaced transmission mounts. Mechanic said he would clean the MAF sensor (but I'm not sure if he actually did). He said he drove it around and didn't experience any of the jolting/knocking.. The joting/knocking seemed to go away for a day, but came back.

I tried using that Royal Purple (sp?) fuel injector cleaner - problem cleared up a little a day or so later but came back.

Yesterday, and today stopped at the light the jolting was so noticeable that I put the car into neutral.
When I got home last night I parked, left the car in drive and sat for over 5 minutes, the jolting happened, but it never stalled.

I feel as if my mechanic thinks it's a computer reset (which he said he can't do- I'd have to go to Nissan) - and since there is no Service Engine Light on, I think he might be not looking at it properly. He's highly recommended and I trust him, but I think he has a bias -thinking it's one think and not looking elsewhere.

Any help is most appreciated!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not sure where to begin.....
So let me try and understand your current problems.

The problem is that the car will hesitate or 'lurch' when I accelerate on the highway after 'coasting' (say maintaining a speed of 40 in traffic then accelerating) the car will 'buck', jolt or hesitate then accelerate. This usually happens when I lightly accelerate, it doesn't happen when I 'floor it'. It does not happen when I set cruise control and just drive at a steady speed.
So the car drives well when on cruse control or aggressive accelerating., but when you are lightly working the petal on the highway (to maintain speed), you get hesitation or lurching.
Does this hesitation or lurching happen almost every time you lightly press the gas pedal?

Second - the car 'knocks' or 'jolts' randomly when I am stopped in Drive. I will feel a 'jolt' and randomly the RPMs would fluctuate. The car's RPMs aa Drive stop are 700. Not every jolt will cause a RPM dip, but when it does, the RPMs drop maybe 50-100 then bounce up to 800 then back to 700. When hot, the RPMs can drop to 500 and the car feels like it shudders briefly.
Almost always it does not do this when the engine is cold. This morning for example it did not do this until 20 minutes of stop and go driving, and then knocking/jolting was mild
So when at a stop light after you've been driving and the car is warmed up, you get random jolts (shudders?) through the car and sometimes this causes the RPM's to drop for a brief moment.

Any chance you get get your air/fuel trims once the car is warmed up?
Also, is the A/C on or off, or it doesn't matter?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Anybody ever done an ignition tuneup? The coils going all at once is pure bullsh-t, they can go in many different ways.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts