Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the community but I have a 2009 Nissan Versa SL (hatchback). Getting ready to sell and it won't start. The engine starts to crank and then stops and just clicks. After a few times trying to turn it over it just clicks now. I had my wife's car trying to jump it but nothing changed, just kept clicking. I replaced the battery last April or May, so the battery shouldn't be the issue. I have a video link below that I took after the first couple of tries that shows the belt slowly starting to turn. But like I said now it just clicks. I also haven't started it since November, (just dumb on my part, I know) and it has 1/4 tank of gas.

Heres a link to a video I took of the belt turning. New video by Bill Ennis

Any advice on what I need to get it going is helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm with the rest of the crowd, I think you have either a bad or weak battery. I've got a car that sits in the garage a lot and if I don't keep it started during the winter even a new battery will go completely dead and if it's a few years old it usually won't take a charge and has to be replaced.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
224 Posts
If I'm going to let my car sit for over 2 weeks, I put it on a trickle charger/battery tender. I use a battery tender, jr.

Going forward, you may want to research one of those if the vehicle is going to be sitting (inactive) for long periods of time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If I don't keep the Harley batteries on a battery tender, they are ALWAYS dead come spring.
Yes... Same with my R6, "dead as a door nail" come spring if I don't put it on a battery tender. I like the pig tails that attach directly to the battery... makes for easy connect and disconnect.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As everyone has stated already... dead or weak battery :)
dead or weak battery = clicking
Get it tested at an autoparts store and then charge it up. Once the battery is Good, get back to us with an update.

Thanks!

·
Registered
687 Posts
If I'm going to let my car sit for over 2 weeks, I put it on a trickle charger/battery tender. I use a battery tender, jr.

Going forward, you may want to research one of those if the vehicle is going to be sitting (inactive) for long periods of time.
Or at the very least disconnect the negative battery connection. The battery will still discharge, but at much slower rate. You will loose the radio settings though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Or at the very least disconnect the negative battery connection. The battery will still discharge, but at much slower rate.
I can't really do that as it will reset the emissions monitors. I have to go through an emissions inspection every two years.

I haven't researched all of the parameters of a drive cycle.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If you did lose the emissions stuff, usually driving around for a week will take care of it. At least that is what the emissions people in Illinois say.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I can't really do that as it will reset the emissions monitors. I have to go through an emissions inspection every two years.
Two years? Then one week is nothing, in terms of time... From this web site On-Board Diagnostics Testing regarding the emissions testing:

"If the battery has been disconnected or the trouble codes erased, you will have to drive the vehicle under varying conditions for up to one week before it will pass. "

·
Registered
224 Posts
To Tutti57 and SlickVersa... Thank you for the information. I didn't know it was that easy to run a drive cycle on the Versa.

I guess I'm used to fighting with GM products and trying to get the EVAP monitor to run.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The service manual has the actual drive cycles in it. I'm not sure about your state, but in NY, you can pass the annual state inspection with one monitor not set, which is always that evap. Yes, GM are particularly annoying to set.

All of these modern Nissan's does take a cool down cycle to set the evap monitor too because of the natural vacuum leak test. The exhaust and driving the car warms up the fuel, causing it to expand. After you shut the car off, the fuel cools down and contracts, creating a vacuum. The system seals for this process and watches to see if the vacuum holds to check for small leaks. Pretty good idea.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.